Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Josephine Things are improving for me! The pain is more manageable, and thats all I can ask for! I find myself reaching less for the pain pills during the night, and during the day I can go for longer periods without any pain meds without playing catch up later. I dont sleep through, but I dont wake up in crazy pain, just stiff and needing to readjust slowly since I am stiff. I am still trying to find a middle ground and sometimes over do things by wanting to do too much at one time, or things just too quickly (like stretching too much or too hard) Slow increments works and I need to keep that in mind all the time. At that moment i feel like I can do it, but later on I pay the price.

I have the cream which I will try to use today instead of pain pills to keep me down on the meds (I have an intolerance to the meds...ie headache and nausea). Only draw back..its sticky when on, so I can lie in bed comfortably, and well, its just alittle yucky (I have such sensory issues lol). It does help alot with stiffness. I will decide next week whether or not to have another nerve block. It helped for a few days, but admittedly it was alittle uncomfortable to get and I had a backache for the day after receiving it. If My pain level subsides even alittle over the next few days, I will not get it and try to just keep on truckin as is.

Diana, I know what you mean about the sharp pains. I have them sometimes too, and seemingly for no reason. Just starts out of nowhere, usually later at night, and its not constant, but more like a stabbing, intermittent pain. I use the gel packs Ive made with alcohol and water. I find them to be more direct on the site (and colder) and also more comfortable to fall asleep with than the cuffs. My knee caps have been more painful lately, which I didnt have before. The pain used to be my whole leg, now I can localize it.

Overall, I feel like I am getting over the bad hump and though still in pain, not as intense and constant. GOOD THINGS!! Monday will be my 6 week mark. Ive seen it on Bonesmart before, but "they" say at 6 weeks things start to get better. Every day is an adventure...thats for sure. Never know what it will bring. Just hoping its all uphill from here!
 
Luisa, the first 6 weeks are a doozie that's for sure, and new milestone will be made every day. However for a while it will be a roller coaster ride, and if you keep that in mind it will be less stress on you psyche. It looks like you're coming along pretty good my bilateral friend, you'll be so happy when you're on the road to enjoying life again, and you will be happy you made the right decision. Stay well kiddo! :friends:
 
Luisa, Your getting there. If you have a bad day or even hour, go back and read from some of your earlier posts and you will realize how far you have come. I hope your sleep continues to get better. I am happy to say mine is improving. Hopefully this will be a good day. Geunita
 
Luisa,
Glad to see you feel some improvement.
I am having trouble at night with a constance ache and uncomfortable feeling in my legs. The braces are not the best thing to have to use all night and when they come off in the morning, it takes a while for the legs to feel less stiff and without pain.
I am 3 and a half weeks in, but feel as if it has been a few months. I keep waiting for that "turning the corner".
I now it is out there- I just haven't reached it yet.
I know we will all hit that corner where we'll each put our blinker on and turn.
 
Diana, I know what you mean about the sharp pains. I have them sometimes too, and seemingly for no reason. Just starts out of nowhere, usually later at night, and its not constant, but more like a stabbing, intermittent pain.

I had that pain horribly from about week three until week six. It would hit as you said late at night and then come and go for hours. But one day it literally just vanished.

Gidem-Week three was still awful for me. Weeks five and six are when I observed some improvement. You'll need to give it some time yet.
 
Today is day 39 post op. I have been feeling better mostly....and I say mostly, but when I am feeling bad...its really bad. I get moments (mostly in the evening), with either stabbing pains, or overall pain in leg that hurts badly. Maybe because Im used to the pain meds, but I find I need to take more of it during these times to knock the pain out. But then, like magic, a few hours later Im feeling better (although I feel hungover after the meds since I cant tolerate them well). Im not really complaining, because I do feel like I am doing better overall, Im just trying to give an accurate picture of my recovery for other to see and read. Also, pain in 99% in my left leg, even though I have done bilateral knee replacement. I know this is the knee most worked on, and I understand that, but it doesnt help me when Im in pain.

I continue going to PT 3X a week. Today was hard getting out of bed since I took 2 vicodin close together last night, so hangover effect was pretty bad. That, and also it is soooo hot in NYC today...day 5 of heatwave. Feel like temp is 105 out there today. But I went, with hubbys help (thank you dear!!) and I was happy when I was done that I went today. I always feel good afterwards...endorphines maybe?? My extension on L is still not at 0, but I feel like its improving (wishful thinking) and my flexion on the R isnt as good as the L (not sure of the number but at least 105). I am working on starting hydrotherapy....a PT in the area that has an underwater treadmill. I am hoping this helps me gain more ROM. But insurance being what it is, I need to wait a week or so.

My newest addiction.....The Golden Girls.....Its on at 12am to 2am. This is usually when I am ready to drift off to sleep. I have a request in to the hubby to buy my the complete DVD collection! It helps me laugh at night, exactly when I need it the most!
 
Lucia I love the golden girls also! I laugh and enjoy that show so much. :rotfl: sounds like you are still dealing with a lot of pain. I hope as the days progress you will have less and less, little by little. I know I am much better now than 10 days ago. It comes in small increments little by little . I am finding that the pain meds work less magic for me...like taking them does nothing anymore. I took two last night out of desperation and really never got any relief. Today I have only taken Tylenol and natural anti inflamatories, went shopping to CostCo all by my self with all that walking and I feel good.....just a little stiff. I think after awhile the drugs kind of bring on the pain somehow in your brain so you take them? I think I am done with them and am going to try not to take anymore. I do not like unnatural things in my body...I take exception to my two bionic knees...I think I am going to love them here in a few months! :dancy:

You take care. I hope your under water exercise brings you great relief. How are the shots doing for you? You and I both had our leg "issues" prior to surgery and it will take time for our tendons and such to stretch out to give us back our walking ability. I will keep you in my thoughts each day... :friends:
 
Hello luisa,
Sorry about your late night pain :gaah: I still wake up with pain from sleeping. I hear myself saying
"Ouch, ouch,ouch " & I wake myself up. I'm sorry your shot didn't work, but glad you can handle the vicadon :)
This weather is :yikes: 100 degrees in Boston today...but relief tomorrow...thunderstorms :happydance:
I have been taking Tylenol during the day, I save Percocet for at night. I am starting o.p.therapy Monday
For 1 month. It's funny my rom is 128-0 but,the knee feels tight, &i can't lift it so high.
I went grocery shopping with my daughter today :dancy:
I find when I do Percocet I am like a couch potato, if I take Tylenol I am like a normal person ( at least my mind
Feels better) :rotfl:
I love " Seinfeld" for my nightly :heehee: the golden girls is great too !!!!!!
I :angel: you find some relief from your pain,
Thinking of you....
Diana :friends:
 
Thanks Ladies. gazelle7777 My pain is definitely better, but still a daily reminder, some days better than others. I'm still contemplating whether or not to do the nerve block again. It worked for 2 days, but it was uncomfortable and wonder if its worth the pain, especially since I do see some daily improvements. Maybe I will do it for one more week and re-evaluate then. 2 days without meds is better than nothing. Still undecided :scratch: So far the vicodin has been the best as far as side effects, but its not without ANY. I do get alittle nauseous and if Im not sparing with them I get hangover feeling the next day. I keep the headaches away with espresso triple shots. Keeping the pain away still seems like my main function in life right now. I cant wait for the day I dont have that worry....will be so lovely!! new knee in June I know what you mean about feeling like a normal person without pain meds. The 2 days I had off them were wonderful. I felt close to human again :sad: Shopping is always a nice thing to get your mind off things, but I need to keep my trips short for now. I cant wait til Sunday....looks like next week Ill be able to go for short walks outside again. I dare not leave my house unless absolutely necessary....its terrible out there!!!
 
HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!! Day 40 post op....offically slept for 71/2 hours straight....from 3am til 10:30am....then back to sleep til 12:30. Huge moment!! I actually feel rested for the first time in 40 days!!!!
 
Luisa,
Awesome.... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :yahoo: :yahoo: that is my final goal in this journey.
I wake up every night at 2:30, you have given me hope!!!!!!
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Diana, I got up at 1:30 AM this morning.... it was awful. I feel so tired but can not seem to nap. We do need to email one another early in the morning... private message me anytime you are up as I am on my Ipad constantly when I can not sleep. I hope this ends soon as I WANT TO SLEEP!
 
Congratulations on the sleep!! I have had a few of those. I have to say the first one was very exciting. I hope you have many more. It's another milestone.
 
Oh No Joan...Im so sorry you couldnt get back to sleep :( Have you tried any of the over the counter unisom? Or ask your GP for some prescription sleep aid. Hope it gets better for you soon!

I spent alot of time in bed today, just felt lazy, and hoping to just lay around til this heat lets up! Well, not a good move, because now I have the twinge of back pain. Tried not taking any pain meds today, so at about 5, before my knees hurts too bad, I finally succumbed to half of a vicodin. Im waiting til 1 am to take my before bedtime cocktail of Neurontin, Xanax and Vicodin. Hoping to get another good nights sleep, but this back pain is telling me different right now. The OS alreay told me this will be my last Xanax rx so I am hoping to get better sleep by the time it runs out. It really helps relax me so I can let sleep come over me. I think the pain meds start out making you sleepy, but end up making you jumpy, hence the lack of sleep.
 
Hi Lmarshall I agree. I took my pain meds at 11pm as I was so sleepy and the warning twinges were starting. I was already in bed but alas within 30 minutes I was wide awake. It's almost like you become super sensitive to every little sound.
Wanda
 
Wanda, I so so agree with you. I am hypersensitive to sound, movement, everything. Last night, finally falling asleep with an icepack on my BACK, not my knees, at 3am then waking up with itchy arms. OK Lights on....4 mosquito bites. Find the cortisone cream apply, search for mosquito, no luck, back to sleep under covers....to hot...cant sleep, pass out at 530am waking up intermittently, with a stiff bent knee (no major pain, stretching it out back to sleep 2 maybe 4 times, no time checks, took 1/2 Vicodin at 7 am, but finally wake up at 1230pm. What a freaking disaster! I think hubby was ready for a divorce last night with my crazy self! lol Better luck tonight I suppose.
 
Thus proving the old saying "everything comes to she who waits ...
v​
​
​
​
v​
​
​
​
v​
​
​
​
v​
​
​
​
v​

.... long enough!​
 
Lucia, my husband was complaining this morning about my restless sleep as well...he has not said anything since surgery and I think it is getting to him now as well. I broke down last night and took two pain pills which helped me sleep until 4:30am. That is very good for me. I have been getting up at even 1:30 am! Makes for a long day as I can not seem to nap at all. I hope we both get some sleep tonight. This sleep problem is almost the worse part of the surgery......
 
Luisa and Gazelle - I sympathize on the sleep! I thought my own sleep pattern was getting *closer* to normal until last night...which was just a series of tossings and turnings. Luckily very little wakes my husband - he rarely knows whether I've had a restless night. Today I'm blaming him since he didn't come to bed until 3 (he's on summer vacation) - I was half-awake so we actually had a conversation...soon he was out like a light & I was wide awake. Grr!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom