Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear luisa,
I :angel: your injections bring you some relief. I wanted to thank you for replying to
Kneed for speed. That exactly what bonesmartie s do for each other :ok: try & look for solutions for
Our own problems & sharing them with others :SUNsmile:
I hope you pain is better, have a great Sunday......
Diana :friends:
 
Thanks Diana, I am feeling sooo much better and pain meds free...which means no more drug haze! Feels wonderful. I went out to breakfast with a friend and noticed some pain in my kneecaps that I probably never realized I had with the pain meds. Its not unbearable, just odd. Walking was alittle less steady thank I would have liked, and think I need to use crutches not cane if I will be walking more, but for today, just in and out of car, cane was fine. Dr appt on Tuesday requires crutches, since the actual center is huge, quite glamorous and oversized, so just to walk from lobby to elevator and through the check in and waiting area is quite the trek. Last time I went at 2 weeks post op, I was escorted by a lovely gentleman in a wheelchair :)

Prayers this painless day continues into a painless week (or at least relatively painless)
 
Sounds like you have had some positive things happen. That is wonderful. It is amazing what happens when you realize you don't have any pain. I transitioned from a walker, but I felt a little weird at first with my cane and used it first just at home and then moved outside when I felt more steady. The same for when I started walking cane free. I started at home and then when it felt good there, started outside. I wonder if that is what my children felt like when they started walking? Of course they weren't worried about falling and I do not want to fall. I hope this week is painless or as close to that as possible.
 
I worry about falling too. I make sure to take it slower now that I am using the cane. With crutches I was must quicker :) I had alot to rely on with the crutches, cane feel so "free" and less stable. After going out today, I had little pings and twinges in my knees, so I iced. Funny, I used to complain about pain in my left leg...the entire leg, now its really pain noticed more in the knees, both knees but left more than right). I guess thats what happens when you remove the bulk of the pain, you can pinpoint the smaller areas. Previously, I felt pain all the way into the big toe in my left leg. If the sheet and blanket hung on it too tightly (mostly when I was up on the wedge), the pain in my toe was like an ingrown toe nail (which I dont have). I am now walking around the house with nothing, the cane sits near my bed. Of course my house is rather small and I always have something nearby I can hang onto if necessary. My one complaint, when I dont use anything to walk with, my 3 dogs now feel they dont need to get out of my way. With the cane or crutches, they used to spread out as soon as they saw me on the move, now they lay there like lumps on a log, figuring I can maneuver around them like I used to. Its comical really, not dangerous...they do eventually move, just takes more coaxing.

It really sounds like you have come a long way, walking without a cane outside, but you are 1 week and one leg ahead of me! lol I am looking forward to walking independently, with confidence. Today, with much less pain, I can think about that, before all I could think of is not having pain. Im feeling much happier! I hope it continues. I feel like every day is a new adventure and I never know what will come next. Scary sometimes, because its like "waiting for the other shoe to drop" so to speak.

Diana...I know you are going back to work before I am...how are you feeling about that? Think you will be ready by then? I worry about that alot. I have almost 8 weeks before I return, but I think 5 weeks have already passed and wonder if Ill be ready in 8 more. On top of it all, I really am looking for another job. I would prefer not to return to my old place since there have been recent major pay cuts (thousands of dollars a year) due to new management. I am hoping to get a job I did on a contract basis right before I went in for surgery (it was part time) but I wont hear until the end of July or mid august. I have my eyes and ears open for other jobs through a few agencies. BUT it has to be "just right" Im not rushing into anything since I know I do have a job waiting for me at my regular place.
 
hmmm im getting the feeling this block isnt going to last all week. Icing now but some tingling coming back in my toe. Trying not to get too upset about it :goodpost: :boohoo:
 
Dear luisa, fingers crossed & :angel: that your shot continues to give you pain relief :) there are a few folks on the Forum who can't take pain meds (kneed for speed, scared in ca.) or they have no relief :yikes: I am now having to put up with soreness when I wake up or don't move my leg for awhile :gaah: It goes away once I walk around.

I was reading on a thread how any other surgery after 6 weeks you feel better. I wish this was one of those surgeries :angel:

I took 3 months off of work..? I don't get paid (part time) but I won't go back until I am ready. I work 4 hrs a night by myself, so I can sit when I want. Also my husband & his crew will help me when I need it.

I hope you are doing well...
Hugs... :friends:
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
2 days after nerve block. Pain is slowly creeping back, but more pinpointed rather than my just pain all through my left leg. My right leg remains much better than my left, with soreness only, not pain. I went to therapy today, took it pretty light but stayed in car while hubby ran errands for me, sat in car 2 hours... too long, now im paying the price. Doubled up on the vicoden elevating and icing. Not such a great day. Heat wave in NYC Doesnt help, but car and my house has A/C. tomorrow I have surgeons appointment. I think ill have to backtrack to crutches, not cane, for more support
 
Luisa,
This heat way is :yikes: I'm in Boston...this is the 3rd heat wave this summer. You sound like you
Did alot today. This is the 1st day I went out into super market,& doctors office. I came home & :sleep:
All afternoon.
Please keep us posted about your doctors app.
Diana :friends:
 
Thanks Diana. I took off until sept but feel like I may need more time. On a positive nite, I believe the reduction in pain reduced swelling and I got my extension measured at R 0 L -5 thats the best yet. Also, it wasnt after painfulstretching, just lying on my stomach letting my leg hang slightly (from the shin). I will def keep doing this home now that I can actually lie on my stomach for awhile. My flexion fluctuates, but I feel more confident about my ability to flex. Extension was a slow go for me from day 1. Time, time and more time. This surgery has been the longest exercise in patience I have ever had. Loooonnnnggggggggg road ahead!

Also a positive note pain management clinic called me to find out how I feel (eh so so but ill take any improvement I can get) but I did think it was pretty nice to get a call from them to find out. Pretty neat that they care!
 
OK I could use some reassurance here. Its been a few hours since I got home, and I thought I just over did it today sitting in the car, but this pain on the side of my knee started bothering me on Sunday and today its worse. I didnt do anything really too much extra except work on extension on my own at home. Nothing that created any huge amount of pain. I feel the pain on the lateral side of my knee, just below it. I know that leg had much more valhus work done. Could it be from that? I am seeing the surgeon tomorrow but its worrying me tonight. If I leave my leg perfectly still I feel like just a swelling feeling (even though my leg is not swollen much...its the best its been post op), but it feels "full" I can bend it slowly and extend it slowly with minimal pain, but its so odd that its in that one spot?? I suppose Im used to the whole leg hurting and not knowing exactly where the pain is coming from. I want to use the word numb, but thats not exactly how it feels, it feels like the nerves are frayed...if that makes sense. Could it just be the nerve endings readjusting after all the work?
 
Lmarshall, I had the same thing, it kept me in bed for a week. The OS said it might have been scar tissue pulling lose from the ITband . Just a thought, mine was a deep pain. :gaah: I hope it gets better :angel:
 
Saw my OS today. She is very pleased with my progress, OK'd me for aqua therapy and felt it was a great idea. She felt the pain in my L leg was totally normal since I had much more valgus correction done on that leg. She explained that the left side of the leg, due to valgus, had shortened tendons etc from years of angling, therefore will be more sensitive to stretching etc and cause pain upon trying to lengthen. Also, swelling is still present, although improved, which pushes against nerves, hence the odd sensation down my leg at times. Makes perfect sense since I have increased my home stretching exercises. It does feel better today and I did sleep not so bad last night. Although I continue to wake up in intervals, it is not accompanied with moaning and or crying out in pain. So...this too is an improvement. I also was cleared to use Mederma or whatever else id like to rub on scar sites. Oh Yeah...finally found out what joint I have....DJO 3D I will look up info on that, but I left it up to the surgeon, since I did have complete faith in her expertise.
 
Luisa, looks like you are proactive in your healing! I am so impressed! Good for you! I have been putting a variety of scar products on my scars the last week or so. Hoping something works as they are pretty darn ugly! Thanks for all your helpful input on my thread. You are a STAR in my book! Hope your pain issues get under control.
 
Thanks Joan....good day for me today as well, so the posts are more positive. I can always tell how I am feeling based on how I am posting on here. I thank God for Bonesmart OFTEN, and all my friends on here. Some of the things the surgeon told me, I had to stop myself from sayin "I know", because I heard it on Bonesmart! (PA told me it could take a full year to be completely back to normal...duh...Bonesmart taught me that already!!! LOL)

Im still waiting for some kind of topical cream the pain management Dr prescribed. The pharmacy had some difficulty getting it approved, but its finally being delivered tomorrow. Its not Voltaren, its not BioFreeze, its some kind of "compound" mixture per the pharmacist. I will fill in when I know what it is and most importantly IF it works or not. Would be another God send to me, since i hate swallowing those pills. I always wonder when I will get sick next from them next.

I also called a new PT place that has an underwater treadmill. The place that has a full size pool is just too far to make it there on a 2x a week basis. I need to make sure I will GO first and foremost. The woman on the phone also told me there are exercises I do while in the water, so apparently there is quite enough room and more than what I am getting now. Im getting bored of the PT place by me and feel like I could get more out of the aquatherapy. All this cant happen until after the 26th, since I am already preapproved until then at the place I am currently attending.
 
I am using both Mederma and Vitamin E oil on my scars (one in the a.m., one in the p.m.) and they are looking good - of course I also credit the person who sewed me up w/doing a good job - I'm sure the OS didn't do that piece of grunt work!

Luisa I think you'll like aqua therapy. To me, just the sensation of water is soothing. Moving against the water takes effort, but some of the moves I haven't done much on land (i.e. kicking heel toward butt) I can do in the water and that has really helped.
 
Thanks Missj. I cant wait to start. Still going through the insurance process. My friend was gifted a bathing suit she has never used, and is giving it to me. Hubby went to pick it up for me. I hope it fits, will save me a few bucks! Now that imnot working, a bathing suit is the last thing I want to spend mymoney on....lol
 
Im afraid I have no name for the cream I received today for "severe pain" Its called compound #138 specifically ordered by my pain management Dr. My pain levels were great today but I di put cream on 6 hours after my vicodin and still have minimal pain. I did notice improvement with flexibility though, not getting stiff after sitting for an hour. Ill see how things go tomorrow, but basically had a terrific day, even after PT!
 
Sounds like you have had some good things happen in the last few days. I've been busy the last few days and haven't had time to use my computer very much. I found out I only have one more pt on Friday. I am glad to have a few days where I don't have to go anywhere if I don't want to. I have a sharp pain in basically the same place all the time if I am going to have a pain. I asked the pt about it and he said there is usually one place that everyone has and that it varies from person to person. Your water idea sounds like a good idea. Our Y has an indoor pool that I am going to look into. I hope the good things continue.
 
Well, slowly, slowly you seem to be getting there. Not quite sure where just yet but you're moving! :wink: so don't be worried about odd extra bits of swelling or pain, it happens and is often not really significant of anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom