TKR LTKR March 23, 2016 RTKR January 6, 2016

Thank you Celle! I spent a couple of hours reading and rereading posts and articles on our site today. It always lifts my spirits. I know you are right. Just writing and doing a little venting makes me feel more positive. Thanks for your encouragement!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Having a setback is frustrating - to say the least. I know. You are in my prayers for a quick recovery from this pain and continued improvement in your healing.
 
I hope by now you are feeling a bit better. I had a thought, visualizing you circling 2 miles around the house ... I recall doing that as well after my knee replacements and back surgery - mine were basically going around the kitchen island!! Are we talking indoors or outdoors? Either way, I am wondering if you took all your "corners" in the same direction? I ask, because going up our stairs, I have two immediate left turns to take and noticed sometimes the "inside" knee which I generally used to take the stair ... on the outside edge, would feel a little cranky. If that sounds familiar, the good news is it will pass and the prescription - change direction! Hope it is as simple as that.
 
My surgery date got changed to March 23. I was really disappointed but now I realize a couple of weeks will add to being better prepared.

I think my pain control will be better this time based on my last surgery. I also will be better prepared for the "ice and elevate" once I get home. I purchased a foam block that elevates correctly and I'm sewing a fleece ice wrap to enclose my home made ice packs (alcohol/ water). I have more time to get my taxes done, too. This time I also have the knowledge gained from this fabulous forum.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just checking in Creek lady to see how you are doing. I hope silence means you are out and actively (and pain free) about! :tennis2::swim::bicycle1:
 
My surgery date got changed to March 23. I was really disappointed but now I realize a couple of weeks will add to being better prepared.
Creek lady's surgery date was postponed to 23rd March.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon, @Creek lady .
 
@Celle. Thanks for your follow up. I did get my left knee replacement done as planned on March 23. I had a 3 night stay in the hospital. I think my pain was better managed this time during my hospital stay but I clearly do not react well to the anesthesia! I threw up so much- the day after the surgery was brutal. Thankfully that memory fades fast because of all the drugs! Here I am home for two weeks already!

I have been on bone smart every day. Reading and rereading about everyone's experience. I guess I have felt like I did not have much to add. It is such a relief to find that nearly every concern that I have someone else has gone through it or figured it out. I have really benefited from that.

One thing that I found odd- my 2 knees were done at the same place, same surgeon, recovery in the same ward etc. but in the span of 11 weeks a number of things changed. I did not have to go off my HRT this time(a blessing due to wicked hot flashes), last time the nurses put a pillow under my surgical knee (which I blame for my struggle with extension on that side). My pain meds were dramatically increased both in the hospital in dosage and frequency and what was prescribed for home. I think the drug change was due to my concerns and complaints during my 2nd knee pre-op check in. That is good since I feel like they were really listening.

Everyone says not to compare experiences- each knee has its own healing and recovery. So true. Some things are better- my extension is already at 3 degree on the newest knee. After all the PT on the first knee, it is only at 5 degrees. I'm not stressed about it since my gait it fine. The newest knee is at 89 degrees flex which is fine this early. The painful bruising on the newest left knee on my lower leg did not happen on the first knee. My newer scar is longer and not as pretty as the other knee.

Stairs will be my biggest challenge. My 1st knee is still healing but it is now my 'good' knee. It does not feel good trying to step down the stairs. It will be a while before I can head upstairs to my bedroom! That is ok since I have built my 'nest' downstairs and have everything I need.

So again, than you for asking. I have told everybody about this site and about how helpful it has been. When I feel discouraged I log on and start reading and my will is recharged to keep up the positive healing thoughts. Thanks everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's good to hear from you. I'm happy things are going well for you and your pain meds are at a dosage where you don't have to be in pain. Your range of motion is good too. Stairs are always tougher going dip own for me and I have had problems with them for years prior to surgery too. Like you I have my own little nest on the ground floor and my kitchen is just one step up. Just think in a couple of months both knees will be healed and you'll be enjoying your life without having pain. Great report!
 
It's good to hear from you, @Creek lady .
I'm glad everything went well. Yes, even with all things being similar, two knee recoveries can be very different.

When you get a moment, please will you alter your signature, to include the corrected date for your left TKR? Thank you.

I know that you're an old hand at this now, but I'm still going to give the the recovery reading list again, so it's handy for this recovery:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently.
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I hope you continue to progress well.
 
One thing that I found odd- my 2 knees were done at the same place, same surgeon, recovery in the same ward etc. but in the span of 11 weeks a number of things changed.

Everyone says not to compare experiences- each knee has its own healing and recovery.
I had a BTKR---my knees were replaced literally within minutes of each other---pretty much simultaneously---and my left knee was the "Angel" while my right knee was the "Problem child."
 
@Celle. Well, I spent the last 30 minutes trying to change my thread title. It may be that I'm working from an iPhone but I don't seem to have the right link or icon showing up. I tried from the app and the web version. Sorry! I would change it to "LTKR March 23, 2016 RTKR January 6, 2016". Thanks!
 
@NightQuilter said"Either way, I am wondering if you took all your "corners" in the same direction? I ask, because going up our stairs, I have two immediate left turns to take and noticed sometimes the "inside" knee which I generally used to take the stair ... on the outside edge, would feel a little cranky. "
I missed this earlier when I developed a sharp pain after walking in my house up to 2 miles a day. I think this may have started the problem in my right knee. I still have a troubling pain in that spot but it has improved a lot. I'm going to the OS in a couple of weeks and we're going to X-ray and explore more.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Creek lady, I had TKR on my right knee March 22. Was hospitalized for 2 days then home. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks for me. I found that staying on schedule with meds. is the way to go. I am now taking Narco only in the morning and right before sleep, throughout the day I use tylenol if needed. Haven't started PT yet. Would rather wait for swelling to go down more. I will probably start around week 5.
Right now I feel great, I drive myself to the store, use my temp handicap placard and do what I have to do using the store mobile cart. At home I do heel slides, stretches, and steps. But when I hurt or get tired I done. Wound is healing great. My next appt. is May 5, where we will discuss how soon I can get the left knee done.
We will be just fine. Some post mention by 3 or 4 months we will feel a lot better. So here's to us and a speedy recovery.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
@Fholley. Wow! You go girl ! I can't believe you are driving already. My PtT is in home right now. She has been coming 3x week and will decrease to 2x this week. Last knee I started going out to PR at 4 weeks. I expect the same this time. I am not ready to cut out the narcotics but my husband and I are retired so he is 'waiting on' me right now. He's been great. I did learn a lot from knee one so I'll bet your 2nd one will go great.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
WTG Creek lady! So glad you are home and doing so well! Yes, each knee is different. While I had been scheduled for a bilateral, my body had different plans. Mine were done 7 weeks apart - my OS actually had to use a different size knee in Lefty. We decided to do the weaker knee first (Righty), just in case we could not do both. I think that helped in the recovery for Lefty because Righty was now the stronger knee/leg.

On the swelling, I am a huge advocate of lymphatic or shiatsu massage by someone who knows what they are doing and who will be very careful of the scar. I found it effective by accident, since I just SO needed to stretch and get the kinks out 2 weeks after the 1st surgery. My friend did research and worked on the lower leg first to try to get the fluids moving through all the swelling at the knee. 2 treatments and by the 3rd week follow-up with my OS, he was shocked by how little swelling I had. I feel that was significant in reducing my pain, improving my mobility more quickly, and getting rid of the bruising. It is something to consider.

Keep up the great recovery. It is interesting how they changed your meds and treatment so much between the surgeries! Glad it was for the better!
 
I have to learn more about the message you mentioned @NightQuilter. I think I'd feel so much better if I could hasten the removal of the fluids. Are there done websites you recommend to learn more?

I'm still doing pretty good I think and not overdoing this time. I think some of the frustrations are more about getting to the bathroom quick enough (going through protection like mad) upset stomach from the meds and sitting which aggravates the sciatica. Reading about how others have dealt with these troubles sure helps!

Sounds like we have had similar paths to our new knees. I wanted to get it done as quickly as I could so I could get my life back! Thanks for the great encouragement!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom