TKR LTKR March 23, 2016 RTKR January 6, 2016

The staples being out will make a big difference in how much you can move, it did for me.
 
Knee update. 20 days after surgery-102 degrees flex and 5 degrees extension. I'm using a cane now. Everything is moving in the right direction. Yeah!
 
Hi NightQuilter! Yes I only use the cane for stairs now and I have it when I leave the house. I am going out to PT 2x a week - flex is still improving 117 last Thursday but the extension is slow to improve. I'm not worried since it is still early. I've had a struggle getting the pain meds right. I tried to cut down too quickly. I'm backtracking now! I read posts nearly every day especially when I feel frustrated. It helps so much having everyone to learn from and feel supported by. Thanks for asking!
 
A very, very belated Happy Birthday! You gave yourself a great birthday present. You are doing very well. Full extension will come with some more time. Keep up the good work
 
Hi Creek lady - good news on the improving flex. The extension will come - I still do the leg extensions with the strap. My most recent PT for my back explained something so obvious I wish others had: it isn't a matter of holding it "straight" for a set period of time, but to hold it gently extended until you feel it release a bit and then straighten it just a bit more. From what I understood, because the muscles are tight and protective, when we ask them to stretch, they resist it. By not forcing the extension (or stretch), they gradually relax into it, then you are ready to move a bit further. The muscles don't count down like we do and that release comes on their schedule. I imagine there is an article in the BoneSmart library about it - I just hadn't gotten that far in my reading here! I do know there are articles about tapering off from the meds; I had the same trouble as you after my first knee. I wanted to get off them asap before my 2nd knee and had bad issues with withdrawal. Josephine was so helpful in educating me and directing me to the right articles. Docs in the US are so overly (and statistically unnecessarily) concerned about patients becoming addicted, most urge you off before your body is ready. There was a wonderful interview on NPR yesterday by a US MD trying to set the facts right. All in good time!
 
Thanks again for the encouragement. This site continues to calm me down every time I get stressed. Seems like whatever I'm going through I find at least a few kindred spirits who have already been there and figured it out! :chillpill::reading:
 
BoneSmart is the best resource ever. I am so thankful I found it when I did as well. There is nothing like hearing from others who have literally walked in your shoes.
 
I jumped in again! I scheduled my 2nd knee replacement for March 9th 2016! I know it's a bit soon since I will only be 9 weeks after the 1st one. I am progressing so well that I have faith that it is the best way to go. I know that each knee is its own experience so I may have a slower go with the left knee but it is a great incentive to look forward to the summer and having these major surgeries out of the way. Wish me luck!
 
Glad to hear your doing well. I felt better after the staples came out, it has been two weeks and the little white strips are still on, waiting for them to fall off.
Time will go by fast at this point and before you know it you will be back to walking without pain.
 
Best wishes for knee #2. It's great that you feel good enough to be ready to think about doing the second one already.
 
You doing great! Good luck with the second knee. I hope it goes as smoothly as this one has gone.
 
WTG Creek lady! You know what to expect which makes the process more paletable. Mine were done 7 weeks apart (scheduled for a bilateral, but blood oxygen levels did not recover to my OS's satisfaction after rightie to justify the risks of doing leftie that day. Be sure to work the quads and hammies on the next leg now so they will be stronger for your recovery.
 
Again, thanks for the encouragement. I really need it today. I have had a set back the last couple of days. I had a sharp pain on the lateral side near my kneecap on Tuesday. I had my return visit to my OS on Thursday with the normal follow up X-rays and I was assured that everything looked good and my progress is good as well. She was not concerned, and it did not interfere with PT later that day. But I am using the cane again at home and basically doing nothing but elevating and icing. There is no pain when resting, only as I put weight on it when I extend it walking. I was up to walking a total of 2 miles around the house with no cane! I'm guessing I did too much and this is the payback. So I'm back to rest and ice only walking to the bathroom. It has improved as the pain is no longer "sharp" more of an ache but I thought 4 days later it would have improved more. I know. One step forward and two steps back. I am grateful to have all of you to vent to!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm sorry you had a little setback, but you're doing all the right things for it.

It does sometimes take a while for things to settle down again. Remember that there's no need to rush to recover, because it's going to take about a year anyway, So a couple of weeks of less activity will give your knee time to consolidate the progress it's made so far.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom