TKR LTKR March 23, 2016 RTKR January 6, 2016

I'm really happy to report great improvement since I have been following my surgeon's advice. I have also been using the Saran Wrap trick at night. I have found that keeping it on the problem knee inner my pants provides relief as well. I think the slight compression and moisture really helps.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good to hear you are improving! I had a place on my knee that I massaged regularly. In fact, I am still massaging my scar and my knee 6 months later! I have a beautiful scar - IMHO! Hahaha! I am glad you tried the Saran Wrap. It really helped me. Now at 6 months out, since I still have too much swelling, I am in a mid thigh light compression stocking and I LOVE IT. We all have to do what feels best for each of us. Continued healing!
 
@Timetolive. I was very skeptical that massage would help this! I'm glad to know I'm not alone. Congrats on your pretty scar! LOL! We must wear them proudly!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a question. If you had both knees replaced have you found that they are shaped differently? My right knee, when sitting and looking down at the knee cap is kind of pointy compared to my left knee which is flatter. Just curious!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great question ... I've wondered the same thing. My left one is the slightly pointier one than the right. I suspected that because the incisions were not exactly at the same place, perhaps some of the scar tissue, etc. just built up in different places. I just keep massaging them and really don't think about it too much, since they both seem to work fine!
 
Totally agree- function over fashion on these legs! I get a kick thinking they are like kids. Same mom but. Different abilities and looks. My younger if my favorite right now meeting all the expectations. My older is a rebel who makes me fight for any gains



RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A couple of things to share- I have given up trying to sleep on my side because even though I could do it for a couple hours at a time, I kept waking up in pain and the next day it was aching knees all day. I've gone back to my back, which I hate but my days are much better on my knees. I did try pillows and memory foam for side sleeping but I never found the sweet spot. I guess like everything in this process it takes time!

I have also continued to have a painful 'catch' in my January knee that has been very discouraging. My surgeon said it was a knot of deep scar tissue and to massage it. I went back to her after a month of message this week with around 20% improvement. I left with a prescription for Voltaren c. Three days later it already feels better! It is really giving me some much needed pain relief.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad the voltaren is helping you. I guess it just is part of recovery about sleeping on your side. I have the same problems.
 
I can feel my body say "oh yes she's on her side ahhhh! ". Trouble is the knees shout louder! LOL ! Someday!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm going to have a very hard time sleeping, I always sleep on my side :(
 
With you knee elevated you have to be on your back anyway. I was always a side sleeper, but am doing OK on my back since I know I have to elevate. You'll be fine.
 
I'm going to have a very hard time sleeping, I always sleep on my side :(

It's just one more thing we force ourselves to go through to heal. I slept in a recliner during early days and it was fine on my back. Still all I could think of was getting back to my bed! I was so grateful to be able to handle the stairs to my bed the back sleep was no bother. I must be getting better since now I dream of pain- free side sleep! All in good time! I'm sure it will all be doable for you too.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's a lovely day here but a bit cool. Hope your Sunday is as lovely!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had difficulty with side sleeping for quite some time after my knees were replaced. Something about the pressure, I guess. But eventually I got back to it. Give it time ... I am sure that will improve as your knees heal.
 
I think you are correct. On my back they do not ache but pressure on the sides? Ouch! Do you remember how long it too you to get yo pain-free side sleep?



RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I wish I could remember how long; it now blurs with having had to sleep on my back with a pillow under my knees last year after my back surgery. I think one of the issues is the swelling in the knees and the healing tissues - no matter how well you "pillow" them, the knees are at a bit of an angle they aren't used to which increases the pressure. I wonder if there is an article in the Library here about when one can comfortably return to side sleeping. I certainly worked at it as quickly as I could because the Sainted Joe (hubby) dared to accuse me of snoring when I slept on my back!! The nerve!! :no-fin: lol I do suspect it was 3-4 months before I could stay on my side for a good couple hours. But it will come.
 
I don't think there are any negative implications to side sleeping, as long as you can find a way to do it comfortably.

I know that many surgeons prefer you to sleep on your back at first, with your leg almost straight, and that it can be difficult to elevate your leg when you are sleeping on your side.
However, on Day 2 in hospital, I was placed on my side - well supported by pillows - for a change of position. It felt quite comfortable for an hour or two.

I elevated my legs all the time I was in bed, by having the blocks under the foot of the bed so that, whether I slept on my back or on my side, I was still elevating. I know that in some places you can buy blocks to elevate the bed, but my husband and I achieved it by using house bricks. We prepared the bed in the spare bedroom for me before my surgery and we wrapped the bricks in brown paper, so that they didn't mark the carpet.
 
"I don't think there are any negative implications to side sleeping, as long as you can find a way to do it comfortably. "


The comfortable part is what I cannot achieve! I'm dealing with it ok. I was actually relieved to find my daylong ache was less when I gave up my side sleeping. I've been able to sleep for longer stretches on my back. It's the 'getting to sleep' when I must fight the urge to turn over!

I know- all in good time! Thanks for your responses!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am surprised at how sensitive the skin on the front of my knees remains. It's so sensitive and feels like bad sunburn. 3 months out on one and nearly 6 months on the other. Ice packs help me in bed and Voltaren helps through the day. I wonder if anyone diagnosed with fibromyalgia thinks there is a connection.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom