TKR LTKR March 23, 2016 RTKR January 6, 2016

I am not aware of any particular websites, though I am sure there are some out there. I just trusted my friend, who was well-trained and very intuitive. The key (as with all things "new knee") is gentle! No massaging right on the scar or within 2-3 inches of it. I'd even hold it together while someone was working on the sides/back of the knee.

Yup! Remember well the bathroom rushes. Ugh. Funny story ... in retrospect. While still in the hospital after having my hips done, there was a time when I REALLY had to go. And I pressed for the nurse. And waited. And pressed again. And waited ... and waited. Then there was no time to wait any more so I unhooked myself and marched myself into the bathroom. And missed it by inches. I was SO humiliated. Then the nurse showed up. But the good thing was, it taught me I could trust my knees and get there on my own.

So happy you are doing well Creek lady. How far west in western NY are you?
 
When you have to go you have to go! LOL! I'm south west of Rochester - considered part of the Finger Lakes region in Monroe county which reaches up to Lake Ontario. It's very rural where I am with agriculture the major employer.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've driven through Erie on the way to other places. It is on my bucket list of places with zoos that I want to see.

Where are you in California? We went out to see the Redwoods last summer. A few years ago we went to see the Sequoias. Beautiful!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I learned that, at the first sign of needing to get to the bathroom, that I did not ignore it---in the early days of my BTKR, I needed one of those "slow-moving-vehicle" triangles on my back.

[Bonesmart.org] LTKR March 23, 2016 RTKR January 6, 2016
 
LOL! It's so true. My hurry is pretty slow these days!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Near Los Angeles on the coast. Have been here since law school ... 39 years ago! The redwoods and sequoias are quite a bit further north, but oh, so breathtaking.
 
Western New York finally looks like SPRING! Yeah! I've been enjoying short walks outside and resting on the porch listening to the birds. My big progress this week was stairs! I have finally gotten back to my bed for a good night sleep. I think just being able to sleep in my bed has boosted my spirits tremendously! The sciatic has eased up also. Plus my walk-in shower is upstairs so My husband does not have to "spot" me. Every step towards independence feels like a victory!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
What fabulous news Creek lady!! I remember well how liberating it felt to get into my own bed and to take that first real shower! You are on your way!! V-day for you - Victory day!!
 
Congratulations! What a wonderful attitude you have. THAT will make recovery much easier. YAY!!! For Spring!
 
My home PT measured my extension At 2 degrees and flex at 101 degrees today. I'm happy with that. My swelling had decreased considerably from 5 days ago. I'm really pleased with my left knee. I have felt so discouraged on some days- tomorrow is 4 weeks since surgery- they call them dark days for a reason. I really try to keep positive. I thought I'd share my good news!


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great progress on your ROM! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:
Your knees are coming along nicely.
 
Hi everyone. I have a question about scar tissue. I had my checkup with my PA and surgeon this week. It was 6 weeks for my left TKR and 17 weeks for my right TKR.

My left knee has been an amazing recovery compared to my right. Much faster recovery the 2nd time around. Both knees are around 125 flex and close to straight extension.

At 6 weeks with my right knee I had a sharp pain on the lateral side near my kneecap as I was walking. I know I had overdone exercises that day. It has never felt right since and has been painful upon flexing when walking. As a result I have been keeping it straightened when walking. X-rays showed nothing wrong at both 6 weeks and 17 weeks.

I have had a little soft bulge at the site of pain. My surgeon concluded that it is a bundle of scar tissue and instructed me in a massage technique to break it up. The advice on this site seems to refute this. My PT also showed me how to massage it.

It's only been a few days so I cannot report any results yet but I was wondering about your opinions and if anyone else has been told this and if any successes resulted. Thanks.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
To me it sounds like it could be some swelling in that area. That's where I will first notice any in my knee. Try using ice and elevation again and see if that helps you.
 
Thanks for the suggestion but ice and elevation have been part of my healing all along. At this point there is no change in the spot with ice and elevation which I am doing regularly.


RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just based on my own experience I'd say so long as you don't get overly aggressive with it, you can try the massage. At the least it might make it feel better. If it makes it feel worse, go lighter or don't do it.
 
Back
Top Bottom