Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 week update

I am sorry that I have not posted more, especially since others' posts helped me so much.

What I can do:

Everything

For my normal lifestyle, which includes climbing stairs at every moment ( I counted one day and it came to around 30 trips up and down).

I do get a little tired going up stairs, and sometimes ahave to switch to one leg at a time. Downstairs with a railing, I don't even think about it. And I move fast.

I took my badly behaved young dog for a walk for the first time 3 days ago. Down the steps to the street he was well behaved and we had a nice short walk. We have gone for walks nightly since,each time longer.

I still have aches in the back of my leg and in my groin. At times I have become very impatient and angry at the aches and what seems like a long recovery to me. The mental aspect has been the most difficult for me. Allowing myself the time to heal.

I take pain meds, OTC, alleve, Tylenol, etc. when needed but not prophylactically (every day).

What is amazing is the range of motion in my new hip. It honestly brings tears to my eyes after years of no movement. Not quite ready for the hula hoop, but I can see it in my future.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their story and given such great advice and support.
 
I recently saw a person that I had not seen for about a year, well prior to my surgery. He complimented me telling me that looked great ! And I feel great. I have lost 12 pounds since my surgery.

I think being able to stand up straight makes a huge difference. I feel more confident and more myself as both legs move now. Of course, not perfect.

Indescribable, really. The feeling when one can use both legs. I find myself just enjoying using my body. And at times, breaking into a dance.

My legs are the same length now which is fantastic. No more sending shoes away to have the sole added on to. I have found that I need supportive shoes. Wore flip flops for a day and was sore afterwards.
 
I feel so fortunate to have had such an uncomplicated recovery. I went with a surgeon who didn't quite fit all of the requirements as he did not do only hips. Knees as well. But, as I needed a little creative work on my pelvis due to a fracture, I felt most comfortable with a surgeon who had been doing hips for 25 years.

I am reaping the benefits now.
 
Hi Eliza,

What wonderful updates!! Glad to know that you and the badly behaved young dog are out walking around and doing well :doggieshmooze:

I hear you on the mail order shoe lifts... normal shoes are such a treat!! I do the flip flop therapy at home, it's kinda fun :th_heehee:

Keep up the good work,
Cardie
 
Hey cardie,
Thak you for your post. I adopted dog Ben in April 2011 at one and ond half years. He looks like a giant border collie with some lab (about 55 lbs.). He is a smart guy and has been mostly careful around me since surgery. But still a puppy. I found with my other lab related dogs that at 3 years they became better behaved.

I did put operated leg foot right on top of dog ball when stepping outside yesterday. I recovered my balance, but a bit of a scare !!!!
 
Ease does it Elizak! Hope you didn't hurt yourself tripping over that ball. You might be a bit sore. I had an incident like that just post op and was very sore from just engaging the muscles to maintain balance. Rest if you need it!
 
12 week quick update

I am walking, pivoting, descending and climbing stairs without problems. Feeling much more comfortable driving around in car, although I still use a pillow. No problems getting in and out.

Can get sock onto my operated leg without sock helper which makes me feel more independent. I am not yet able to internallly rotate and lift my foot to reach it, so my method is a bit unorthodox. Sit on edge of bed, bend knee and put foot off to side and then reach sort of sideways, but does not hurt and works. Putting socks on was always a tough time of day for me before surgery.

I would rather not wear socks, but I find that I need the support of a full athletic shoe right now. Sandals and flip flops end up giving me aches and pains. Hopefully I will soon be able to wear them.

Still get some butt pain when sitting too long (around and below incision). Occasionally my groin feels tight. Have had an issue over the last two weeks with a hamstring type of pain, where leg connects to buttock, on the back of my thigh, towards my groin. Trying stretches for this, seems to help. I still take a NSAID and Tylenol when needed.

I am going to start swimming this week, or at least splashing around. I had intended to do this earlier, but had a bout of depression, and was also afraid that I would fall getting into pool. Feeling more confident now. It was about a week's time during which I became very frightened that I was going to fall or somehow hurt my hip. My original fracture was due to a fall down stairs, so I suppose it is not unusual to be a little nervous. Hoping to overcome this fear and get to the gym this week.

I asked my Surgeon if I could kayak and get my scuba certification on a trip I am planning. He said that I could kayak, canoe, scuba dive, whatever....and to have a great time.

So, while I will continue to respect my body's signals, I think it is time for me to be a little more active and do more things, like the pool.

I would really like to be able to squat, but I think that this is what irritated my hamstring, so it may be something that I have to work up to gradually.

I would also like to be able to be on the floor and get back up. Another thing that I have to practice I suppose.

I really haven't squatted or done anything on the floor for about 6 years because I would get stuck and it was really difficult and painful to get up. So this will be a process. Any hints ?

I feel that my recovery is proceeding well, especially when I consider how disabled I was prior to the surgery.
 
I am feeling anxious about going to the gym. It is a great place though, all the machines one could want, shallow indoor lap swimming pool, small outdoor pool with loungers to get some sun if desired, large whirlpool tub, and steam room.

I guess I am a bit nervous about the machines that I don't know how to use. Maybe nervous about pool area being slippery and tht i might fall. I also think that this a return of agoraphobia which I have suffered with before. Particularly in the past 3 years prior to surgery. Big cause was, I believe, that it simply hurt a lot to go out and do things such as sporting events, the zoo with my family when they were visiting, a professional conference which required much sitting and walking, both of which were uncomfortable, etc.

But I would really like to get to the gym. It is very close to my house and I would love to get in that warm whirlpool tub-heaven.

Perhaps I should arrange for a personal trainer to show me how to use the machines?

Or perhaps, as always with these bouts of agohobia and anxiety, it is simply a question of getting myself physically over to the gym in appropriate gear. Likely I will feel fine once inside.
 
Elizak, sounds like you are really doing well!

You said you haven't been able to do anything on the floor for 6 years. That's a clue to why it may take you a bit longer to squat or get down on the floor. All those muscles have atrophied. They need to get stronger. You'll get there!

I used your method for putting on socks for months. Just keep trying the "normal" way. As you say your body will let you know if you need to scale back and try another day.

I understand your concern about venturing out in the world. And yes gyms can be very intimidating. Do you have friend who can go with you? Certainly you can ask for an appointment to get a new induction with the gym equipment. My only hesitation would be that gym staff are usually not trained to handle post-op people. They have a "set" number of exercises and times one should spend on each machine. Their set might not work for you.

Maybe go and have a walk around the area first - see how it feels?

Let us know how you get on!
 
Thank you Jaycey,

I was getting a bit nervous that something was wrong as I still have these aches and pains and limited mobility. But compared to pre-surgery my mobility is much improved. Putting my sock on with the same method prior to surgery really hurt, enough for me to break into a sweat often and feel sick. Now with increased mobility no pain, just a little awkward.

Yes, the muscles for squatting and getting off of the floor are definitely atrophied. But I have been feeling to scared to even try. I did squat today to get something from a low cabinet and my hamstring muscle related pain came right back, so I am going to be more cautious, and try to build up to a low squat.

I don't have a friend to go with me. But, as you suggested, I can just go in and look around. I noticed when I did PT that the machines have instructions and specify which muscle groups are worked. Best thing is to just take my time and look everything over. I was so active before my fall that I had never used a gym, walking, sports, dancing, and my normal activities were fine. Really different now.

In addition to the fear that I will fall or hurt myself away from home, I am also experiencing social anxiety, which I would think is not unusual after all of this time in the house. My dog Ben is a great guy, but doesn't make up for human interaction.

Thank you for your encouragement. I hope to get to the gym today. I will report back.
 
Also, not sure why, but have been having a fear of dislocation over the past few weeks. I do not think that this is grounded in reality. My surgeon has not indicated that I am at any increased risk, in fact the opposite, encouraged me to kayak, scuba dive, etc. and have a great time.

What flashes through my head is experiencing a dislocation and all of the pain in a place where I can't get immediate help. Seems silly once I write it down, but it keeps going through my head.

I hope that it stops.
 
I would like to post my before and 6 weeks after pictures of x-rays (not the actual x-rays, pictures of the x-rays taken with my iPhone). The last time that I did this they were very large. I hope that a moderator can fix them for me if this happens again.

[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012


[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012

Hope it worked.

Any thoughts on how things look ?
 
Just looking at your thread and it looks like you are doing great. Sorry about the anxiety. I, myself, who don't have that issue, find it difficult to get back to the gym after a long absence. It is really ok to ask the people that work there how to use the machines, without having to pay extra for a personal trainer. Sometimes they even have an orientation. You could call and ask.

Otherwise who hoo for your great progress, thanks for the updates, Cathy
 
Hi Eliza,

I found returning to the gym was a bit daunting when I was early out from my surgery too. It had helped that I'd done some of the machines in outpatient PT before returning. Do you have any of the same machines at your gym that you used when you did your PT? It is a good idea to have one of the instructors help you, but you might just want to stick to machines that you are familiar with at the start and add on newer things in time. It was also helpful for me to use a machine with no weight first in order to check how I felt with just the range of motion of the machine prior to adding weight. I had a little knee thing going on so had to adjust machines to keep my knee from closing more than 90 degrees for a while, it's ok now though.

On the squats, I do a basic little "counter" squat at home, it looks like this

[Bonesmart.org] LTHR with bone graft March 19, 2012


I hold firmly onto the counter in the kitchen and do not go lower than the 90 degree bend of the knee. When your hamstring feels better maybe you could try this as a start to the return of squatting. I can now fully squat down to the ground but it took many months before I had that ROM again.

Does the pool at your gym have the zero grade entry area or a ramp for entry and exit? How about a water type shoe when you go? I use broken link removed: https://https//www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/ss12/shoes/women/waterfront/newport%20h2/bluestone!neutral%20grey at the pool. I'd encourage you to just take a visit to the gym and walk around and look at everything. Then when you are at home you can start to do some visualization of the things you saw and how you might use them. You don't have to do everything at once -- maybe the first time you go and use something it will just be a 10 minute ride on the exercise bike and go home. Little by little your confidence level will increase...

It really does sound like you are doing well. I think that the worries that you have are ones that many of us can relate to and will ease with time as you continue to achieve different milestones and return to activities with your new hip. The dislocation thought will stop, you need a different thought to have in it's place and when you feel the dislocation scenario revving up try to go to the other thought to neutralize it.

Have a good day,
Cardie
 
Hi Elizak, well it sounds like you are physically recovering really really well, it's good that you had that reassurance from your OS. The emotional recovery is a totally different thing I know, something which can take quite some time to get through. I too suffer social anxiety(and debilitating panic attacks) in certain situations and had some difficulty both before and after surgery coping with it. I just constantly remind myself that not another soul can help me in these situation, it is all down to me and my own mind and strength to push forward and deal with new situations. Try to get your head around going to the gym, ease yourself in gently at first, as Jaycey suggests, it will be so worth it when you manage to have a bit of a work out:thumb:

I put my socks on the same way as you and did pre surgery too, I do try to do it properly but that's not gonna happen for a long time yet I know.

As for getting down on the floor, this was one of the things I was keen to do and one day I just done it, making sure I was next to the couch so I had something to hold onti to help me up if needed. I started off doing the golfer reach and bent my good knee right down until my hands could touch the floor then bring my operated knee forward.

Good luck with everything and be strong, you can do it

Take care

Ann
 
Thank you Cardie, Cathy, and Ann for your support and wonderful suggestions.

I did get the courage up to go to the gym. I hadn't been there in a long time. It was formerly Bally's, taken over by LA Fitness. It was in such bad repair that it is actually closing in two weeks, for good. I tried to use some of the machines but they were in very bad repair and bad smell. I am laughing now, but no need to have been intimidated. So I am looking for a new health club. There are a few choices, but I want to make sure that they have good hip machines and that i will feel comfortable. So I will be taking some walk throughs in the next week.

I have also decided to return to PT for a few weeks. I have an appointment on Wednesday at what looks like a good Pt center and an appointment with the director who specializes in orthopedic rehabilitation and has excellent credentials. I feel as if I need further professional PT help to strengthen my muscles after my 7 years of limping and hunching about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
My buttock still hurts when I drive !! Is this normal ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Hi Eliza,

I hope this messages ends up where I think that I'm posting it ☺

Is that your Ben in the picture -- he is very cute!!! Sounds like the trip to the gym was an adventure and I think the return to PT is a great idea. Nice to be in the market for a new gym too.

I sometimes have some soreness in my buttock as well, maybe the piriformis muscle? I'm not really sure if I'll get this right but -- trying to insert the link for the library and not having much success... well, there are some stretches and information if you go to the library and click on Hip Topics and then concerns after hip surgery. Your PT should be able to help and assess this as well.


Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks Cardie,

Yes, that is Ben in the snow waiting for me to throw his ball for him.

I had piriformis problems prior to my surgery which resulted in frequent sciatica. I have had one big episode since surgery, around week 8. Since then, pretty calm, occasional tightness. I have attempted some of the stretches in the library but am not flexible enough yet to do most of them.

The pain I am having is more in the incision area. Soreness, really, irritating more than anything.

I took Ben for a good half hour walk this evening with some leash training and the exercise seems to have loosened things up and relieved soreness.

I am looking forward to PT to learn some more stretches and get on exercise schedule.

Happy day today, I was able to put my sock on by bending my knee and reaching forward. Even adjusted sock after it was on my foot ! Then, wonder of wonders, was able to tighten the laces on my shoe while it was on my foot and then tie it !! First time in 6 years.

Thanks again and have a great rest of your weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
 
Happy day today, I was able to put my sock on by bending my knee and reaching forward. Even adjusted sock after it was on my foot ! Then, wonder of wonders, was able to tighten the laces on my shoe while it was on my foot and then tie it !! First time in 6 years.

Hi Eliza,

:yay: This is fantastic progress, you must have been thrilled!!! :dancy:

If the soreness is related to your incision maybe just some gentle massaging -- like you are ironing the skin out around that area might help. It's normal to have some topical sensations around an incision for a while as everything knits back together and reconnects.

You are still pretty early out from your surgery and since you had some piriformis issues before surgery as well as having the posterior incision it might take a while longer before you feel you can comfortably do some of those buttock related stretches.

You are lucky that Ben (who doesn't seem so badly behaved after all...) is manageable on the leash. I haven't walked either of our dogs yet -- one pulls and I just can't walk that fast or tolerate that shoulder stuff & the other gets overly excited at seeing other dogs. Really it's more about me as a dog owner not being well trained to control my beasts :puppysmooze:

Keep up the good work,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom