THR LTHR done Dec 15 - RTHR Dec 22

Glad you are feeling improvements @DJJFPC. The first couple of weeks are the worst. It is a good feeling when you start feeling human again. Don’t overdo it, but continue with steady progress.

Wishing you continued recovery @DJJFPC ......after 2 major surgeries so quickly who can blame your body for throwing a bit of a tantrum! Hope you are feeling much better now and being able to enjoy your food again :)

Glad you're feeling better! Don't be surprised or disappointed if there are days that you seem to take a step backwards. Those happen and its the general direction that's most important. On the bad days, though, think about what you've done differently in the day or two beforehand - sometimes you can identify something that caused the setback and put that activity off to try again later.

Hi, I am now walking with a cane @ 4 weeks. Can walk a little around the house with no aid. My question is: I do my PT excercises everyday. These are simple standing and bed excercises . What I have noticed is that I am stiffer now than a week ago. I was walking then without any limp but now with stiffness seem to limp more. I have no real pain. These are excercises laid out in my recovery book that the hospital gave me and also recommended by my physio. Is this normal? I do these excercises everyday , should I let my leg rest a bit? Thank you for any input.

I have learned on here that stiffness is part of pain @Lululucy. Maybe try a rest, do fewer of the exercises or do them with less frequency and see how you feel.

Hi @Lululucy
Consider lightening up on the exercises for a time, or giving them a rest completely for a few days.
Then if / when you start up again, and you achieve the same result, you'll have an answer.
Pain is your body asking for change. Try some icing and elevation also, if you aren't already.

Also give heel-toe walking a try. Let your heel strike the ground first, followed by toes.
Takes a little concentration but it helped me lose my limp.
Hope you feel better over the next few days!

Just a helpful hint. We derailed DJJFPC's thread a bit with this.
It would be beneficial for you to post questions in your own thread.
It's the best way for you to get more feedback

Thanks Layla, I didn’t excercise today and I don’t have the stiffness. Sorry about derailing the thread, I am afraid ai dont understand how to post under my thread. I am claiming operation brain fog!! :shrug:

@DJJFPC I'm sure things will continue to improve...
Everything just seems to move in slow motion and this really fine!
Once you get through this rough stuff, and start to notice how amazing it is to be rid of that horrid hip pain, you will be having to slow yourself down.:friends:.
You did it:yes!:

Hi Everyone just a quick update. I am pain free now and stopped taking pain meds 3 days ago. I am also able to walk without a walker or a cane around the house. I make sure the walker is close at hand in case I need it but I am finding that I do not need it much at all. Today is 3 weeks since my total left hip replacement anterior and 2 weeks since my right THR anterior. I am making good progress and make sure I do not over do it. I am slowly gaining more of an appetite which is also good. I am seeing the surgeon on Jan 9 for a follow up appointment. Thanks for all the wonderful support and advice that has helped me get to where I am now. I feel like I am part of the human race again.

Fantastic news - I'm sure your surgeon will be thrilled with your progress!

Quick question when are you allowed to drive a car? Not that I am planning to before I am ready. I am just wondering when they let you drive again.

. I feel like I am part of the human race again.
Looking forward eventually to re-joining myself it's indescribable what this hip pain does to you. Wishing you a continued smooth recovery.

Driving restrictions are all across the board. I've seen some on here that OS says not until 6 weeks. Mine was flexible. Said most of his patients could start driving at 2-3 weeks (before first post op, so no formal clearance expected) and that it was common sense - when not on narcotics, could get in and out of the car independently and could hit brake and gas pedals without pain and without hesitation for fear of pain.

You will want clearance to cover yourself for insurance purposes...it was 6 weeks for me but I had bilateral, I could drive earlier but wasn't cleared...don't ask how I know.

You are doing great!
As far as driving - I was given the green light at 3 weeks.
I was off narcotics and it's my understanding that is one of the main considerations.
You'll hear varying opinions on this topic.
Warm wishes for a great rest of the weekend!
@DJJFPC

Hoping today finds you well as can be expected. Know that we are all wishing you well!:ice:

Thanks everyone for the response to the car driving question. It is just over 3 weeks since my left hip surgery and 2 weeks since my right hip surgery and I am making reasonably good progress. I am walking without the walker all around the house. I am able to shower on my own now. Previously I had to have my husband with me and helping me as I sat on a chair in the shower. I am now able to stand on my own in the shower with my husband close by in case I need him for assistance. I have started doing some laundry and helping my husband in the kitchen a little. He does the cooking I am fortunate he has always done the cooking and I do the clean up. I am slowly helping with the cleanup in the kitchen. It feels good to slowly get back into the routine of being able to do daily tasks. I am making sure I am not over doing anything. A little progress each day on the way to full recovery!!

I am making sure I am not over doing anything. A little progress each day on the way to full recovery!!
Well done! Slow and steady is the best approach. Sounds like you are really doing well!

It will get better and better. Good for you...by spring you will be sprung!:chuckmarch:

Nice update @DJJFPC. Slow and steady is the way to go. And it does feel good to get back to doing some of our routine.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom