THR LTHR done Dec 15 - RTHR Dec 22

Great update! @DJJFPC
I like the husband cooks program. How did you get that lucky? :heehee:
You sound so well! Both hips within a week. Amazing!
A great week of continued healing!
 
@Layla I picked the right guy to marry!!! Although I did go to cooking school at Cordon Bleu he still wants to do the cooking. Our son who lives with us is at culinary school decided to change after 3 years of Bio Chem to a culinary degree. My son is an excellent chef and my husband is very good as well so I really lucked out. I am the baker in the house.
Here is my hip update I went to PT today and the physical therapist indicated I was 3 weeks ahead in progress and that he would have to slow me down a little in a couple of weeks to make sure I heal correct and do not over do it. I was pretty tired after I got back from PT. I am going to be going to PT 3 times a week for the first 3 weeks and then down to 2 times a week.
I was also given exercises to do at home every day but told in no uncertain terms not to over do it and to listen to my body.
Thanks to everyone here for the continued support it has been amazing to have all these people to reach out to and who help answering questions and moral support during this journey.
 
So glad to hear you're doing so well. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to do bilateral (You may not technically be bilat, but close enough). Sounds like your PT has the right approach. Mine always said he knew when it was time for the session to be over because I'd start waddling or limping more as I got tired, even if I wasn't in pain!
 
Hope you are feeling improvement every day. Have a restful weekend!
 
Sounds like your pt is very sensible @DJJFPC. That is good to hear since that is not always the common experience. Your recovery is inspiring.
 
Well I would imagine hubby's cooking must be decent or you'd probably protest being the
culinary expert I'm assuming you are. With a son in culinary school also I'd guess that grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup are never on the menu :heehee:

I can't believe how well you're progressing. With two hips, only one week apart, it's the same recovery.
Awesome update!

Your journey is inspirational, to say the least.
Enjoy the weekend and best wishes as you continue to recover!
@DJJFPC
 
Won't be long before you will be doing this, double hippy dance:chuckmarch:
 
Friday was 5 weeks since my left hip and 4 weeks since my right hip. I have been in PT for a week and a half and I am getting stronger and stronger each day. I have been off all pain meds for over 2 weeks now. I have been able to shower on my own for the last week and a half. I stopped using a walker about 2 and a half weeks ago. I am able to do the laundry. This past Friday I dusted and vacuumed the house. Although I must say after the vacuuming I took a shower and then lay on the couch for the next 4 hours. The first 2 weeks post surgery I thought I was never going to improve and then slowly day by day I started being able to do more and more. I no longer have that debilitating hip pain that I had pre op whenever I sat or lay down. That is all gone yay talk about a happy hippy dance!! I am able to dress myself except socks I just cannot manage to put on a pair of socks. I am so pleased to be on the other side and thrilled and I also know how fortunate I am with the progress I am making. I also know that slow and steady wins the race so I am trying not to overdo it and suffer a set back.
 
:chuckmarch:Isn't it amazingly wonderful!
Easy does it for sure, but:egypdance:!
 
@MammaT I should have milked that not being able to vacuum for at least another month!! Unfortunately the dust bunnies were getting me down. My husband has done so much I did not want to make the vacuuming an issue so I decided I would see if I could manage. I know he was appreciative of the help. As he has been cook, cleaner, driver and nurse. He also had to mow the grass yesterday which I normally do. We are in Florida so we don't shovel snow but we have to do yard work all year.
 
Hi @DJJFPC
You are doing fabulously well in my opinion!
Recovering from two separate hip replacements, only one week apart. Amazing!

It's a toss up to me who I give the bravery award to. I've always admired
the courage of Gaulsuerou, Gretel, Berber7227" Irish Joe, Mojo333 as I'm not as brave.
I almost think you win the award (said as she ducks and runs) for bravery in returning to
the hospital a week later to do the same all over again. I would have been in hiding!!! :scary:

Losing that pain is sooo wonderful and makes it all worthwhile! I couldn't do socks for a long time.
Never tried too often though because I hate them. Well....I tried the other day and I could do it.
I was happy and surprised. I don't whip the one on my op leg like I do the other, but I'm not struggling.
Good enough for me! Point being....it will come for you too!

Consider icing as a preventative measure, after you clock a lot of activity like
you did in cleaning house the other day.
Best wishes as you continue your recovery journey......great update!
 
Oh I know what you mean about the dust bunnies driving you crazy. My two cats leave fur balls all over the place. Last surgery, before I went back to vacuuming I was picking them up with my grabber! Since I live alone, I get to do all of the chores. Totally understand you wanting to help out husband who has been so supportive during this @DJJFPC.
 
My husband has done so much I did not want to make the vacuuming an issue so I decided I would see if I could manage.
Please be very careful vacuuming. You twist and turn when you do this and your new hips may not like that movement. I assume you aren't under any restrictions?
 
@Jaycey I am not under any restrictions and I should have given a better explanation. We live in Florida and 3/4 of the house is tiled floors not much carpet. We have a central vacuum in the house. So you attach the hose to the outlets in which ever room you are vacuuming and then you attach a pipe and brush to vacuum the tiled floors. I vacuumed 2 bedrooms that have carpet and you attach a vacuum attachment to the pipe and away you go. It is a lot easier than a standup regular vacuum.
 
I almost think you win the award (said as she ducks and runs) for bravery in returning to
the hospital a week later to do the same all over again. I would have been in hiding!!! :scary:

You DO get the prize...I'm not sure how I would've felt one week after first one. Guessing you had to go off painkillers for a bit before second surgery?
I have never heard of a central vacuum but I certainly want one!
Do take it easy, really early days yet.:ice:
 
The weather was reasonably nice yesterday Sunday so we went for a walk on the esplanade next to the Intracoastal in our neighborhood. I walked a mile and my husband walked 2 miles. It was great to get out and walk along a nice flat easy walking path. I was tired afterwards but it sure helped me sleep really well last night.
 
That sounds lovely @DJJFPC Walking along the esplanade.
I would imagine that brought a gratifying fatigue.

I hope you're feeling well rested today and not suffering any pain or stiffness.
Don't forget ice and some elevation if you're feeling any worse for wear today.

Best wishes for a great week as you continue your recovery :flwrysmile:
 
Yay. You sound like you are doing so well! Super bionic double hippy!
:yay::walking::yay:
 
I saw the Orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday of this week and he removed the gauze tape from the right hip incision. He said I no longer have to keep the left hip incision covered and that in a weeks time I do not have to keep the right hip incision covered. He said my range of motion is good and I am doing really well about 3 ahead in the recovery process. I am walking about 1 1/2 miles now and going to PT 2 to 3 times a week. I am feeling really good but making sure I do not over do it. Some days I am a little sore other days I have no pain at all. "Slow and steady" wins the race is my motto. I am taking it slow and steady and most days I am fine and occasionally I have a day where I can really feel it meaning I am sore and stiff and I feel I have gone backwards in recovery. I make sure I rest that day and take it easy and the next day I feel much better. I am passed the 6 week mark as of this weekend and I am now able to drive. I live in a gated community so I will drive around the neighborhood to see how I do before I attempt to go out on the public roads. Thanks for all the help and support from this community it has been amazing.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom