THR LTHR done Dec 15 - RTHR Dec 22

Hope you are well medicated...and comfortable as comfortable gets at this stage and iced up.
Amazing grace you've shown through this. You should be super proud because if I had one and then at one week has to do it again...not sure I would've been able to deal. In my heart, you are the same as BTHR at same time plus three stars after your name.
Tough first days...but the payoff is phenomenal!
 
@Mojo333 thank you for all the support. The support from everyone has been amazing. I have to admit this has been tough. I am struggling to eat. I am not a big eater in general and the surgeries have knocked my appetite for a complete loop. I still have low BP issues so tend to be a little light headed at times. Food is not appealing at all as I am a little queasy. It is hard to eat when you feel you might throw up (my apologies for TMI on feeling queasy!!)
I know that good nourishment is key to healing. Not even my favorite treats are appealing - now that is bad. I mean who doesn't always like chocolate. I love dark chocolate and I cannot even eat it. Oh well this too shall pass. The only thing I am able to eat and enjoy is home made hearty vegetable soup. I know the payoff is going to be phenomenal. In a months time I will hopefully look back on all of this and I will be well on the road to recovery!!
 
@DJJFPC call your family doctor or your surgeon's office and ask for some anti-nausea medication. I have to take this every time I have anything major. The drugs and I just don't get along. Vegetable soup is fine but feeling nauseous just isn't nice.
 
Hi @DJJFPC
I'm sorry you're still experiencing the BP issues and now nausea as well.
As if any hip pain you may be suffering isn't enough :gaah:

I hope reading some protein suggestion doesn't make you nauseous if they sound unappealing...
Low Fat Yogurt
Scrambled, Poached, Soft or Hard Boiled Eggs with Creamy Peanut Butter Toast
Steamed Fish or Chicken and a Baked Potato
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
I think it's encouraging you are able to digest and enjoy the hearty vegetable soup you mentioned.
Great option!

I hope your pain is well managed allowing you to get the rest and sleep you need and deserve.
Warm wishes for a peaceful relaxing day of recovery!
 
Thanks @Layla for all the food suggestions. I am going to try a few today. Perhaps a little scramble egg and spinach for lunch. I like the sound of a baked potato and also a baked sweet potato.
 
My favorite anti-nausea food is a vanilla shake! It especially worked for me on morning sickness and when my blood sugar was too low.
 
Hope nausea improves @DJJFPC. My surgeon sent me home with some phenergan suppositories ( not sure why that was the delivery method!) because I experienced a lot of nausea. For some reason, saltines have always been my go to. Not highest nutrition but gets my stomach settled. Try the potatoes. Main thing is to get your stomach accepting food.
 
Hi @DJJFPC
Sara's suggestion made me wonder about Protein shakes.
We hear how important protein is in our healing process.
Just not sure if it's super tummy friendly with everyone....
 
I just ate grapes for the first two weeks...and a bite or two of everything else.
Just no appetite.
Did try to drink drink drink.
 
Maybe protein shakes or ensure type product. I used a breakfast/meal replacement shake from the nutrition line I use.
 
I just ate grapes for the first two weeks...and a bite or two of everything else.
Just no appetite.
Did try to drink drink drink.
I am struggling to eat as well. I couldn't deal with the regular protein shakes. My SIL is a physician and his brother an Orthopedic they suggested protein powder with fruit like blueberries and I have been able to have that in the mornings for the last 3 days. Previously I was eating dry plain cheerio cereal. I think I eventually will get my appetite. At the moment food is the last thing I want. I am drinking water and some green tea regularly. I weighed about 120 lbs at 5'4" before surgery but I think I have dropped about 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks. So I am probably around 115 lbs. I do not want to lost any more weight but hopefully I will regain my appetite and stabilize my weight. On the positive side the pain is subsiding and my walking and mobility is really improving. I can now walk around the house without the walker although I keep it close at hand. One day at a time is my motto and I think I am seeing improvement each day.
Thanks to all the help and support from everyone here. It is so helpful and great having all this support.
 
I also lost weight...wasn't quite that little to start with. Try to keep something by you to mindlessly nibble on. I figured out if I had to get up for it, or ask someone to get it for me...I really didn't want anyway...I did without.
Your body does need energy to heal....
Hope today is a Good Day for you.
 
Last edited:
Hi @DJJFPC
Stopping by to say Hi!
Hope you're feeling okay and your appetite has increased.
You've been through a lot. Hopefully your pain is well managed and you're able to sleep.
Warm wishes for a happy, healthy new year filled with love, comfort and joy!
 
I’m sure your appetite will soon some back. It sounds like you’re doing really well considering what you’ve been through.
Wishing you a happy and healthy 2018
 
Thanks @Layla Happy New Year to you and your family. Today was the day I feel I turned the corner. I am feeling so much better. This happened after the first surgery once the spinal headache stopped I woke up 5 days after the first surgery and said I am feeling so much better almost like a human being. Although today is 10 days after the second surgery I woke up and felt much better back to feeling really good. Up until now I was dealing with pain lack of appetite and just not feeling good at all. Today was a totally different feeling I told my DH I am feeling completely different and so much better. No pain yay yay yay. Must be all those healthy new year wishes coming to fruition!!!
 
So glad to hear this. I think that change in feeling/outlook can make such a big difference in your recovery - it gives you the ability to look at what you can do instead of what you can't! I look forward to hearing more about your progress soon!
 
Having two surgeries that close together can knock you back for a bit. Glad you turned that corner @DJJFPC-we all have one of those. Good healing, hope apppetite is coming back.
 
I also suffer from the lack of appetite and occasional nausea. I drink a lot of chocolate milk. It fills the empty void and takes the hunger pangs away and no fuss. Also chocolate ice cream, chicken soup, and cheese and crackers are tolerated. Some cereal with milk as a main meal. Calcium in milk is good for bones! I also love Nonni's biscotti dipped in milk. (don't know if they are available everywhere, but the salted caramel is to die for, I am in PNW). I basically eat anything that seems appetizing and not much does. For instance, 1/2 a sandwich is a huge meal, if I can stand to eat it, and I usually cannot. I have dropped around 15-20 lbs over a year with 3 surgeries. I am not unhappy with the weight loss, however!
 
Happy to hear your progress! Life is oh so pleasant when we are out of pain.
As for my go to food when nauseated....apple sauce!
 
@Bumblebee I will definitely try apple sauce. Home made vegetable soup has been my go to meal. Breakfast I am having a fruit protein smoothie which has been good. I also like to eat dried plain cheerios. I must say I think I am starting to make improvement and feel better. It is such a nice feeling at last to feel like you are over the worst after 2 surgeries and start feeling so much better.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom