Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR anterior - Recovery diary & waffle

Hi, progressing slowly. Last week was a full week at school and absolutely wiped me out, I felt like I'd done a whole term by the end of the week!
I've got a lot more range of movement coming back, still no closer to getting my socks or lace up shoes on though.
Tried wrapping presents last night and probably shouldn't have spent so long on the floor :sad: I'll have to do the rest on the bed today (my dining room table is too small for wrapping)
Despite all the niggles, and random spiky feelings, I am staying positive and know that everything is slowly healing and I'll get there.
As for the tooth, my oh paid for me to get it removed closer to home so we didn't have to spend a day travelling, he's a super star.

Hope everyone has a lovely christmas/holiday :banana-santa:
 
Glad to read you are feeling positive about your recovery, @Sparks22. Yeah, that putting on shoes and socks was a struggle for me post-op as well. I did eventually get there, though, and you will too!

:wreath:
 
Hello Sparks, Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Good to read the tooth issue was resolved. I hope you had a lovely Christmas.
Moving on to the next holiday. Cheers to complete healing and new beginnings in 2025! :happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
@Sparks22
 
A very late Happy New Year to all! I had a busy one so haven't been online properly for a while!
I was glad of the Christmas break as going back to work was really hard, tiring and taxing on my hip.
3 days in to the new term and I'm feeling OK, just normal teaching tiredness :mcoffee:

My hip is recovering everyday - I still have aches and pains, but they are manageable. It's easier to keep moving than to stay still.
I started being able to put my socks on unaided last week :) :-) (:it's not a pretty method but I can reach!
I've also ditched the stick for a majority of my walking, though I am still going to use it if I know I have longer walks to do.
All in all a good start to the year :SUNsmile:
 
Yesterday marked 3 months post op :)I can now: cut my toe nails, pull my socks on, raise my leg fully, and I bought lace up walking shoes yesterday :yay:
Nothing is done with finesse, but the fact I can reach my feet, without weird twisting, is brilliant.
My thigh muscles are still very achy and I'm not increasing the distances I walk, but my stride is confident and no wonkiness.
Mind you, the mechanical difference between my new L hip and my old R hip is huge. I wonder how long it's going to be before the R one gives out.
 
@Sparks22 :loveshwr:
Fabulous group of milestones there!!!

Slow and steady wins this race; a confident stride is an amazing thing and the distance you comfortably demonstrate it will surely increase with tincture of time!
 
Afternoon all, I don't get on here much now as work/life is hectic. Thought I'd pop on as my 5 month 'anniversary' is coming up. The pains in my muscles are slowly easing off, as is the groin pain. I only feel huge discomfort if I sit in the wrong position for too long (not that I get to sit for too long that much!) I can happily put socks on 'normaly', crouch down to get things from the bottom of cupboards and generally feel realy good about mobility. Had a weekend in London with my daughter as she was at a dance exp and I did 20k steps daily, that was achy and majorly so in my 'old' hip but joyful not to have the major pain in my new hip :) My sister is getting her hip done next week! So I've been giving her a few tips.
Question - how long after having replacement can we stop being wary about infection? I ask as I've just broken another tooth and not sure if I should be nhs emergancying it or just get a normal appointment?
 
I still think about infection, I don't think the risk ever goes away as infection likes replacement joints.
 
Question - how long after having replacement can we stop being wary about infection? I ask as I've just broken another tooth and not sure if I should be nhs emergancying it or just get a normal appointment?
I feel like the concern over infection may always linger in the back of our minds, but you can't allow it to stress you out. It's a chance we take for a better life.
All you can do is your best to maintain good health overall. Call your dentist's office sharing your concern and see what they advise. If you have a dental procedure, see what your OS advises as opinions on this varies. Treat infections like UTI's or cuts / skin infections promptly and go live your best life!
 
I would go ahead and make the appointment, if for no other reason than to get the tooth checked out and learn what treatment is recommended. As Eman85 said, there is always still a “risk.” Most surgeons will ask you not to have any dental work done for 3 months before and after surgery if possible. You’ve met that. And even that “rule” can be broken when there is a dental emergency. A broken tooth is certainly that.
 
Hi all, I'm coming up to 6 months now! Have to say I'm feeling very achy at the moment and when I lay down I just can't get comfy. I feel, it's not pain, but a big discomfort at the tip of the pelvis, is difficult to describe! Never mind, I'm sure it's part of the process. I'm also trying to re-read some of the articles about recovery, and look at the time charts. Everytime I try to go through the links there's an error though, is it possible to be sign posted to them again please?
 
:wave: Hi there. Six months, wow... How I dream :)

Just an observation based on person pre-op experience but what you describe sounds like a general build up of tension in the leg/pelvis. If my guess is correct it's easily resolved. Firstly a little gentle abdominal breathing to relax the spine and pelvis. Lay flat, knees bent, hand behind head. Breath to gently fill tummy and stretch into the breath using elbows back toward bed. Gently! On the out breath, let your tummy drop naturally, at the same time bringing elbows in. Slow and gentle and relaxed, just about 3 times. Next stretch out. Make a human X shape. Gently stretch leg through heel and arms out on the diagonal, coming to a forced relax after each stretch. Worked like a dream for me! Couldn't believe it. Was really a thing to feel comfort return. I'd struggled for months before someone shared this little fix with me... Just passing it on to you. I do hope it may help!!!

I may be wrong but I think that only Insider Membership gives access to the articles now. I think Bonesmart had to be a bit more proactive in safeguarding its abilities keep going. It's a voluntary organisation and relies on donations to keep the platforms open, manned and running.
 
Last edited:
Hi Sparks, Thanks for reaching out. Do remember that this recovery can last a full year and even longer for some. If you're unable to attribute the discomfort to recent activity, consider discussing any ongoing pain, stiffness or limitations with your OS or a member of his care team for their opinion and advice. I wish you comfort and hope this is just a quick blip on the screen and resolves soon. :console2:

I am sorry you're having difficulty accessing information, but there's a reason for that.
We recently implemented a new membership program and there are new Guidelines for Posting. You are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to search the forums, and read about other recoveries and issues that are similar to yours. However, as a basic member, we cannot offer advice to you. That is only offered to members of the Insiders Club. Hopefully you will choose one of our subscription options allowing you the ability to receive personal support, addressing your questions and concerns. BoneSmart is a non-profit organization and the modest subscription fee helps support the ongoing maintenance of the forum ensuring it remains accessible and valuable for the entire community. Please join us!

Wishing you a pain free week!
@Sparks22
 
Hi all, not been on for ages as I got confused with all the changes last year. Plus life is hectic!! However, today is my 1 year hipiversary :yay: Everything is going well, still have a few achy muscles, but that's on me not doing the exercises. I'm loving my 1 year old hip and enjoying being active again, plus joining in with things like go-ape and scrambling at brimham rocks, as well as walking the dog properly!
 
Happy One Year Anniversary!
Thanks for stopping by with such a great update. May year two be even better! :thumb:
@Sparks22
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom