Guest viewing is limited

THR LTHR anterior - Recovery diary & waffle

Good AM sparks,
That seems a little aggressive PT for only 4 weeks post op. How are you feeling today? Sore?
Good idea to take a rest day.
 
I'm feeling a little sore, but it was a full day! 1.5 hour drive there and back, walking a bit in York and the pt session!
I guess it does sound a bit aggressive, but he only wants me to do the exercises once a day - so one set of the standing legs, 1 set of the standup/sit downs and 1 set of the bed bridges. The standing ones I do at different points through the day (my right hip can only handle 1 set of each at a time), bridges I'll end up doing during the night when I am trying to get comfy and the chair standing I'm not sure about as I'll need to work out which chair will be best...not too high/low
 
I may have mentioned this before but I had a lot of well-meaning but over-enthusiastic friends offering me sessions with their personal trainers and access to their home gyms. I was reminded here and kindly explained to friends that I am not in training, I am in recovery.

Everyone wants to fix me but my body will fix itself in time with a gentle but determined effort from me.
 
Not a chance I'd go near personal trainers or the gym!! Not my cup of tea I realise my acronym may have been misleading, it was the hospitals physio therapist I went to see - he works alongside my consultant so knows which op I had and what my pre-op issues were. He wasn't pushing me to do anything over the top (he even got rid of the bands he brought in to the session after I talked through where all my aches were and what I was struggling with)
I am listening to my body, but also know I'm a lazy sod so have to try and push myself a bit otherwise I'll not improve anything x
 
Yeah, that's good. I was really surprised at how many friends wanted to get involved in my rehab. I know people are kind and want to help. I am hugely grateful for the support and practical help I have had. I have also had to gently explain why I can't accept all of their offers of help.

They understand now. Also, my friend's PT was absolutely onboard and horrified at the idea that I might want a session at this point of my recovery. We did discuss possibly getting together in the new year to work on ridding myself of any remaining bad habits and walking well again.
 
The worst thing for me is following my parents footsteps! I've mention how super human they are already and it's hard not to compare.
Can I have suggestions on sticks please? I'm using the hospital, generic grey one but need something 'younger'!! I know I'll still need it when I go back to work in 2 weeks and I don't want to take that yucky grey one in to school with me (I teach primary and they can be cruel!)
 
The worst thing for me is following my parents footsteps! I've mention how super human they are already and it's hard not to compare.
Can I have suggestions on sticks please? I'm using the hospital, generic grey one but need something 'younger'!! I know I'll still need it when I go back to work in 2 weeks and I don't want to take that yucky grey one in to school with me (I teach primary and they can be cruel!)
I bought a stick last year to help with my painful hip. Believe it of not I found a good range on Amazon and there were many brightly coloured ones, all adjustable. I settled on a black one that folds up. Perfect for travel and I can fold it and put it on a chair in a restaurant rather than it falling over. It even fits in my shopper bag.
 
@Sparks22 Rather than spend more $$ on a new cane -- get some colorful tape or ribbon and wrap the dull gray cane in fun, festive, frivolous ways... such as candy cane stripes for the Christmas holiday
:heehee:
 
get some colorful tape or ribbon and wrap the dull gray cane in fun, festive, frivolous ways... such as can
I had thought about that :D but the handle on the stick is horrible, and I can't find a height on it that's right, it's either too high and hurts my elbow or too short and hurts my shoulder!

I was thinking about getting a walking pole maybe, that way I wont actually lean on it,just use it for posture & balance
 
Hi Sparks! Happy One Month Anniversary! :)
1 set of the bed bridges.
Please know that Bridges are not recommended for healing hips. Bridges are a core stability exercise and put a lot of pressure in an area where soft tissue and muscle was recently traumatized. They can cause tendonitis in quads, glutes and ham strings.

So many way to decorate a cane if you don't want to buy another. They sell cane sleeves, but they look kind of puffy and oversized to me. There's seasonal wrapping paper you could tape around the metal part and switch out inexpensively. Or you can hot glue fabric around the metal, or wrap ribbon around it etc. I love the "candy cane" idea of djklaughs, after all...tis the season! :banana-santa:
I hope you have a great rest of the week. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
 
get some colorful tape or ribbon and wrap the dull gray cane in fun, festive, frivolous ways... such as can
I had thought about that :D but the handle on the stick is horrible, and I can't find a height on it that's right, it's either too high and hurts my elbow or too short and hurts my shoulder!

I was thinking about getting a walking pole maybe, that way I wont actually lean on it,just use it for posture & balance
A walking pole! A great idea. You can open the door and announce "You shall not pass!" to unwanted visitors.

Also, The Queen had one. Classy.
 
I agree with a walking stick or even a walking pole/staff. My "cane" is a Leki hiking stick. For some reason with a cane I want to hunch but a good walking stick - even one as short as a cane - makes me stand tall.
 
The hospital sticks are horrible and really hurt my arm too...it's too short on one setting and too high on the other! Walking poles are much more adjustable and hopefully will be easier to manage at school
 
I agree with a walking stick or even a walking pole/staff. My "cane" is a Leki hiking stick. For some reason with a cane I want to hunch but a good walking stick - even one as short as a cane - makes me stand tall.
I agree. My adjustable walking stick was set to the right height pre-op but I tended to hunch. I am going to look for a good hiking pole/staff for later in my recovery. I walk tall with crutches but have started hunching again if I use a cane.

Great advice here again.
 
Week 5 post-op - Argh!!!! I'm sooooo itchy!! The top of my thigh is ridiculously itchy, but I can't scratch it as I can't feel myself scratching and nights are a pain again as the leg is really twitchy again!! I'm guessing we are next level healing and reconnecting of nerves/muscles/fibres. Still ARGH!!!!!
 
Aaargh indeed!
If it's well away from the incision, a topical antihistamine spray or lotion (here it's diphenhydramine/Benadryl) or a calamine lotion might offer temporary relief.
 
Ugh...miserable! Sometimes icing will help with an intense itch.

Twitching - Consider Magnesium

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Sparks22
 
A remedy my mom swears by for night cramps, spasms, restless legs is, Q-Tonic, a water that contains quinine in small amounts. Possibly too low for all to obtain the desired effect?
She drinks 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed.
You have to read the label to make sure it contains quinine as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead. Old wives tale / remedy? Don't know...but she says it works for her. Inexpensive too.
@Sparks22
 
A remedy my mom swears by for night cramps, spasms, restless legs is, Q-Tonic, a water that contains quinine in small amounts. Possibly too low for all to obtain the desired effect?
She drinks 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed.
You have to read the label to make sure it contains quinine as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead. Old wives tale / remedy? Don't know...but she says it works for her. Inexpensive too.
@Sparks22
Tonic water? Yes, Schwepps and Fever Tree have very small amounts of quinine, hence the bitter taste that I personally love. (Though I take mine with gin). G and T was invented for expats in India as the quinine was taken to prevent malaria. The gin helped disguise the bitterness of the quinine. Or made you so drunk you didn't care. :shrug:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom