Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

@KarriB I've been sewing for almost 50 years now. I love it and can't imagine not sewing. It's so nice to create something myself. There is a lot more I could sew than I do, but the price of fabric sometimes makes it so much more expensive than just buying some things, that I don't always make everything anymore. It used to be that sewing was less expensive, but today it is often a lot more expensive. But when it comes to making clothes, etc, directly for someone else, the cost doesn't matter, only the love. Plus, often I can't find what I want in ready-made, and can custom make exactly what I want. I hope you do buy a machine and start learning to sew-it's a skill worth having.
 
My mother sewed and passed her love of it on to me in traditional mother daughter fashion. I had hardly any bought clothes until I was well into my teens. I spent many happy hours as a child playing with her button box. I agree that the price of good fabrics now is sometimes prohibitive, whereas years ago home dressmaking saved you money. But the love that goes into something stitched for someone you care about makes it more valuable than just a garment, and no one else has one exactly the same. Sounds like you would be a good contestant on The Great British Sewing Bee with 50 years of experience.
 
Your sewing room looks great! I love an organized and properly outfitted space.

I can sew a button on a shirt, but that's about it :snork:. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make for your granddaughter.
 
I love your sewing room. When I get that bedroom back that I used to use, I'd like to make it more like what you have. Son needs to move out first though! He says he's working on it!

You and I have been sewing the same amount of years, although I took a break for a while. I made all my own clothes from middle school until after being married. Work left little time for sewing, especially since I had so many night shift jobs. Now I think I can get back to it again. Using up remnants while she's little enough for them to make an outfit. Fabric by the yard has gotten expensive. I only buy patterns when they are a dollar or so. Cost of patterns is unreal now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, today I am an unwilling member of the ODIC. We are looking for either a motor home, or a truck and trailer or fifth wheel. So, off to Manteca to look at RVs early this am, then back here to a car dealership to look at trucks. Now, my knee is having hissy fits! (Not to mention looking at RVs in this heat-phew!) It's off to the ice machine for me now.
 
Thanks everyone for all your compliments on my sewing room. I love it too, even though it's small. I'll make sure to post pictures of the outfits I make my granddaughter. I always buy patterns for a dollar or two also-I can't see spending $15 for the pattern, $20 or $30 for the fabric, plus all the notions and other things needed, when I can go to Ross or the likes and buy it for $12.99 or so.
 
My mom use to make things for me from feedbags that she got from her Iowa farm friends. A night gown had 100#s stamped on it and I was mortified. A 100# would look good today since I am well over that!
 
We have been looking some Class C's. We don't want to tow it or have anything too big so thinking about maybe a 26'. We rented one over Memorial Day Weekend to try it out, loved it! How many did you go into to make the ODIC? Up & Down :) Were are leasing a 35' 5th wheel (Raptor) for the NASCAR race in November. It is fun being local because they will drop it off and pick it up at the campgrounds. I will have to make sure my 2nd surgery is after Nov 13th as I have been planning on this for a year with family and friends.

How far North are you in CA? Away from the fires I hope. This season has been rough with the heat and the fires for us too. We may get some rain this week:)
 
@PegGar16 I'm in Fair Oaks, which is next door to Sacramento. We did see a lot of smoke from the Monterey area fire when we were in Manteca, but up here it's not really noticeable. I didn't count, but I went into a ton, one leg at a time like a two year old since my dang knee won't cooperate. We like the class As and some of the Cs, but we really like the 5th wheels and the Jayco larger trailers. Because I cook so much, I won't even consider one that doesn't have a large kitchen. My favorite so far has a large kitchen that slides out. (see the attached pictures) The motor homes are so expensive and I refuse to pay 100k for something that'll be parked the majority of the time. We also saw a Jayco with a smaller kitchen, but it had an outdoor kitchen also, so that was nice. That one also had two bedrooms, one with bunk beds that would sleep 3, plus the queen bedroom and a pull out sofa. It's hard to decide, but eventually we'll figure it out. I'm hoping we can figure it out this year, even though my knee won't allow me to do everything I want; at least I'd get to go on vacation still. We didn't make any plans due to not knowing what I'd be able to do, so we can't really find a suitable place to stay on the river this late.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    jayco.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 159
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    jayco2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 199
  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    jayco3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 154
We have always been campers and love getting away from the Valley during the summer. The last time we went with our tents (right before the TKR) it rained all weekend and we were cold and miserable. My younger son found a small Vibe by Forrest River. It was the perfect size for the two of them. Small enough for him to tow with his Frontier. The slide outs make a big difference with space. We are leasing for now to try the different ones out. My husband doesn't want to commit until I am mobile again. I am excited about the Raptor in November. It has the 2 bedrooms, good size kitchen,the couch with the air mattress and a shower I can move it:). I also love to cook and I really like those kitchens in your pictures. Those outside kitchens are great also. My brother's has the wet bar, a fridge and stove that are in an outside compartment that swings open. I can't wait to be mobile again:) [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    Raptor-Floorplan1-533x400.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 196
Ugh-I stopped doing tents about 25 years ago...lol. Not my thing at all. I love camping in the woods and along rivers, just not in a tent. I paid my dues on that and now I'm done.....:rotfl: We thought about renting one to try them out, but when we realized that for a month it'd cost somewhere around $4-5,000 for the motor home, plus gas and RV park fees, we nixed that as I'd rather just put that money into buying one. I really want to go this year for a month, but if we don't get one this year, it'll have to do next year. I completely understand your desire to be mobile again, as do all of us here. When does it all end for you and all your surgeries?
 
I have the first surgery Sep 13th for the skin flap and spacer exchange. November they will schedule me for the tkr and extensor reconstruction (tendon and bones grafts). I was told I should be walking well by March:)
 
I used to sew in high school and a bit in college, but I would get very frustrated and my parents asked me to stop. :hairpulling: But there have been a few projects that I think I could've done myself such as valances from long panels I already had, but I had to look ror someone to do it for me. I'm looking at redoing a few rooms and figure panels and valances pile be an easy way to start. We'll see, nothing intricate for a while.
 
@KarriB Too bad you're clear across the country or I'd help you get started. But it does take time and patience to learn, especially when you make a mistake or your machine does something unexpected. Believe me, I've ripped my share of seams plenty of times. Start with things that take simple straight seams and help you gain some confidence, and then try something a little harder.
 
I started to get my knee on the ice machine earlier, got interrupted and am just now getting back to it. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, my knee is thanking me. :ice::ice::ice::elevate: :) I think I should stay out of the ODIC from now on.
 
@lovetocookandsew I camped my way across the country in a tent about eight years ago. One morning in Colorado I woke up to frozen rain on the tent. That was enough for me to quit tenting. I love my 21 ft. Chinook. It is easy to drive and perfect for one or two people. A friend and I drove it from Florida to Alaska and had a grand time. Chinook is not for you though because the cooking area, I can't even call it a kitchen, is tiny. It is a Class B. I hope you find the RV of your dreams.
 
@PegGar16
@Floridagal
@KarriB
@LoveGiants
and anyone else who was interested,
Here's the romper I made for my granddaughter. It's really hard to see clearly on the hanger and using my phone to take the picture, but it's a simple romper with elastic waist and elastic upper bodice. It was the perfect thing to make for her in this heat, and simple to sew for a knee that doesn't like to be down for long.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    romper.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 164

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom