Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 
We went out to dinner the other night for the first time since my surgery to one of our local casinos, followed by some play. My knee was okay through dinner as I had taken some OTC pain meds first, and I sat in a booth so I could keep it mostly up. We then sat and played for about an hour after dinner, and my knee started complaining. I had to spend the night icing and elevating, plus stayed off it as much as possible the next day, but it was worth all the swelling and pain to get out and have some fun. I can't help but wonder if this is going to be life for me-the swelling just won't go down, and gets even worse with normal activities. At home, I can do some tasks, then rest and elevate, but out and about I have to plan ahead so as to get things done quickly. I plan to do some shopping today, and hopefully can actually spend a little time picking out and trying on some clothes; the last time I tried, I had to quit after trying on one top. My ROM is still pretty bad...it's around 10/100 if I've been off it and resting, 10/85-90 if I've been on it and it's more swollen. Of course, that's with me using the goniometer on myself, so the numbers are only approximate. I can actually make a fist, turn it sideways and fit it under my knee with a little room to spare while sitting on the floor. The attached picture is my maximum extension with me working to get it as straight as I could, and I think it's terrible!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    extension.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 255
Two months after the infection surgery I went to dinner and a play. The tickets had been a Christmas present and I wasn't missing Wicked! Unfortunately I couldn't elevate during dinner or the play, by the time I got home I had to PEEL my slacks off because my leg was so big, huge. It was midnight, but I laid on the sofa, propped my leg on the arm with pillows underneath and ice on top. I knew going to bed with that swelling would be painful. I hope this isn't a routine occurrence for you, but the time frame is about the same. I agree, it was totally worth it for me as well!
 
It's not easy...it's a very delicate balance, but we have to look at that at least all this discomfort is temporary, but all I have to say is I'll be patient now but once she's all good, she is going to be taking me places...she owes me big time :egypdance:
 
I'm glad you managed to get out and have a good time, it's not fair that you pay for it later with the swelling and pain. You have to pace yourself so much, and it doesn't take much to get worn out. I have to sit down every few minutes when I'm ironing, I literally can't stand for any length of time, it's worse than walking. My ROM is also very similar to yours, and trying to straighten really hurts. Hermione is so irritable at times, she's hard to please!
 
It is a pain, but it wouldn't be so hard to bear if I knew it was just temporary. As it is, I don't know if this is all I get, or if a year from now my leg will be much better, since it's been going on for so long and three surgeries in the last couple of years haven't done a lot to help. I feel for you, but I am sure it's likely your knee will be great a year from now-it's just getting there that's a pain.
 
I had my revision a month before your TKR and I still do get swelling after a day of activity but it is slowly getting a little bit less every time. My extension is slowly approaching zero but I'm sure it will take me a bit longer to get there. Your knee has been through a couple of surgeries in a short time. Things can get better up to a year or more.
 
Clara, I'm with you. It doesn't hurt me either for the same reason!!
 
I am hoping it will get better, but my hope is almost gone as it not only hasn't gotten better for over two years, it's actually worse now than before this last surgery. I know it's been through a lot, but at 2 1/2 months after this kind of surgery, I should be seeing a lot more improvement. My swelling never goes down at all from the point it is right now, but it will swell a little more with too much activity, then go back down to this huge knee if I rest, etc. But it's always huge, which is why my ROM is so bad; even my OS thinks it should be a lot better by now if it were acting like he would expect. Even with all it's been through, he believes it should be doing better, and he was really surprised and dismayed when he saw it. That's why I'm thinking that since I did test positive for a nickel allergy, it's very likely I am reacting to the implant. Too bad for me if that's the problem though-I can't see myself going through another major surgery at this point.
 
@lovetocookandsew I really hope it's not and allergy, possibly you just need a little more time, it really has not been that long!!! Positive thoughts :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks, @uva55 It hasn't been a long time, I agree, but since I didn't have a TKR, just a synovectomy and spacer exchange, it should have healed a lot more by now than it has.
 
Back
Top Bottom