Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

12 weeks today. Nothing much has changed. I do have most of my energy back from the reaction to the pain meds that sent me into a tailspin. But my knee is still too swollen, IMHO, and I still have more pain than I should. My ROM isn't very good due to the swelling, it's approx. 10/90, which isn't enough bend to ride my bike again. I still can't walk very long before the pain kicks in, but have been trying to ignore it so I can grocery shop without using the electric cart every time. I did use it a couple of days ago as I'd been on my feet too long without a break and had no choice, but generally I make myself shop without it, except for long trips through Sam's Club. Yes, I know I'm stubborn...lol. I'm still icing often as it helps with pain control, but not really for the swelling. I see my OS on the 23rd, but seriously don't know what can be done at this point. I've actually thought about e-mailing Dr. Maale, but haven't as I'm not sure it's bad enough to warrant bothering him. Overall, it's totally frustrating to not know if this is all I get, if something more can be done, or if it'll get any better in the coming months which is more than doubtful. #arthrofibrosis
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    12 weeks.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kim!

I was thinking about you today. I'm sorry that you still have swelling and pain. I hope you can find some answers because the feeling of hopelessness has to worse than the pain.

I don't know who Dr. Maale is, but I think an email might not be a bad idea if it can help get some info or answers.

Any luck in camper shopping?
 
Kim, if it's worrying you, then it's important enough for you to contact your doctor, then you may feel better.

I understand about the electric carts, I never use them either, they go too slow, I get road rage with myself :rotfl:

Don't be so hard on yourself, you know this a long road. I hope you feel better soon :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks, @LoveGiants We have looked at a ton of 5th wheels, so now we know which of a couple of sizes of truck to buy. My husband is slower than molasses so it may be next spring by the time he picks out the truck he wants. He's looked at them several times, has researched online, plus talked to truck owners, and still hasn't decided which one he wants. He hasn't even decided on the model yet..........lol. All he does know is it will be a Ford truck. When I bought my SUV, I drove all the different ones in one day, did research for the best price, then bought the one I loved, all in one weekend.....lol. We also may buy a less expensive trailer for now, use it for 5 or 6 years for vacations, then sell it and buy a 5th wheel to travel the country. We have gone back and forth about whether we should buy the 5th wheel now, as it's really huge and may be overkill for a couple of weeks per year, but a travel trailer would be perfect for that. It's a pain to get it all figured out.....sigh.
Dr. Maale is a specialist many here have mentioned, and he seems to be one of the tops in this field. He's in Texas, so if I did contact him and he thought he could help, I'd have to go there to see him. But I don't know if my knee is worth contacting him.
 
Thanks @uva55 I'm seeing my doctor this month. The other doctor I mentioned is a specialist in Texas many here have mentioned; that's the one I'm not sure about contacting. Yes, the road is long, but it's been almost 2 1/2 years with basically no improvement after a TKR and two more subsequent surgeries.
Those carts are slow, but I actually hate needing to use them at this point in time. I didn't mind them at first, but it's gotten ridiculous.......:banghead:
 
There are so many options in trailers and 5th wheels! It's fun to look, but can be overwhelming when you're truly shopping. Tell your husband to get the one that MadBum drives :snork: (no idea about the towing capacity). Those 5th wheels can be very heavy!

You could make a grand camping adventure to Texas in a nice trailer :). Judging from your feeling of doubting your knee will get better, I would think an email couldn't hurt. Your getting on with life would be worth it.
 
I totally agree-it's overwhelming. And, because it's so hot, we both get too hot to continue. So, right now we're concentrating on the truck. We're going to buy one that will tow any RV we decide on-we've checked out the max weight of the ones we like, and the towing capacities of the trucks that'll pull everything, no matter what we end up getting, as we plan to have a huge 5th wheel at some point. Then, after we buy the truck, we'll go back to looking at RVs.
 
Kim,
Your knee won't give you a break. Dr Maale will do a telephone consultation after looking at your records, it that is what you decide to do.
IMO you need that gold knee. I do agree a second opinion is a good idea with Dr Maale or other surgeon.
When I bought my last car, it had to be one my MIL could get in and out.
 
@lovetocookandsew
You've been on my mind today too, I relate to a lot of what you say. My ROM seems to be stuck at about 100 so I can't use my exercise bike either, and I really need to do something to stop anymore weight gain, I feel so fat and frumpy at the moment. I am in less pain and consequently in a better mood, but I do understand the worry that this is as good as it's going to get. Please God you will get some improvement to give you that much needed glimmer of hope. I've heard wonderful things about Dr Maale from KarriB if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure he would be happy to talk to you, and it would be a positive step. Nothing ventured...
Love, Tabby xxx
 
Thanks Chris and Tabby. My gut has been telling me to get the gold knee put in if I want any chance of a good knee, but my head says, "ARE YOU NUTS?!!!!!" I have no idea how we'd do it anyway as I can't take any more pain meds, and a recovery without them is never happening in my lifetime.....lol. Even my OS couldn't tell me how we'd cover the pain, as he now knows firsthand how my body reacts to them. If I knew 100% that the gold knee would be the miracle answer, and I could have the pain problem covered, I'd do it in a nano-second. But not knowing if it'll be any different, plus knowing we have no clue what to do about pain, has me scared out of my mind to go through all that for possibly nothing. That's why I've been thinking about Dr. Maale. I'll see what my OS says on the 23rd, talk to him about Dr. Maale, and maybe have him send copies of my records to Dr. M to see what he has to say.
 
Kim, I am so sorry you are going through this. I am praying that God tells you what to do and makes it really clear. And that He takes away your pain!
 
Kim, I know exactly what you mean. It's not just the thought of going through yet another surgery with all that entails, but there's the whole pain med nightmare. I don't believe I could do it either, I am worried sick the day will come when I need my left knee done. Does Josephine have any advice? I would trust her judgement. I will keep hoping and praying for you.
Tabby xxx
 
I had a total revision and it's been the best thing I ever did. With the first one I had problems with pain meds too and stopped them within about a week. With the revision my pain only lasted a week and it's been a far easier but recovery on top of that.
 
I am sorry that this has been such an ordeal for you. I hope that some answers come when you see your doctor and maybe consult with Dr. M. It is very frustrating and depressing. You have a whole team of people routing for you.
 
A phone consult with Dr. Maale seems like the best step to take. I'm curious to hear what your OS has to say about that. We are nearly the same age (I'm 60 next month) and I understand your worries. Going though another TKR, unsure of the outcome, but how do you live the rest of your life like this? There is still so much life to live!
 
Well, I'm going to attempt another milestone tomorrow. We're going to hit the river and do some rafting. I haven't gone in a long time, but have really missed it. I figure I'll only sit on the left side, keeping my right leg in the raft so as to avoid any possibility of unwanted movements. I was worried about it getting hit by waves, etc, and getting banged around, so I'll just spend any time sitting on the sides on the left side, otherwise I'll just stay inside enjoying the ride. I wanted to go to the Rogue River this year, as we always do, but since that isn't happening, we'll just raft our own river. Luckily we live right by a river that is great for rafting, and is pretty mild as far as whitewater goes, so it should be no problem.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom