• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Timetolive We don't have a lot of humidity, thank goodness. Heat is already awful for me, adding humidity makes it even worse. I was in Kentucky one summer and it was around 90 out, but with the humidity I was quite ill. We were taking a tour outside and I was dizzy and sick and had to go inside. That happens to me in the summer heat, but the humidity makes it even more awful. Because I don't sweat at all, the heat is like an internal furnace that builds up more and more the longer I'm out in it. My granddaughter is the same way. We both get beet red in the face and feel ill, and have to go back in. I'm pretty sure she got her lack of sweating and heat intolerance from me.....lol. So, while your area gets hot, you also get stuck with humidity...ugh. It was about 100 or so yesterday, and is supposed to be 104 or so today, although it may only hit 102. Thank God for air conditioning, or I'd have to live in the shower or tub all day. :heehee:

I don't know what caused my diverticulitis, but I do know I was in the hospital with it for most of a week as I recall, and when home again I was on tons of medicine for the infection and pain, plus probiotics and a couple more medicines. I have to watch for it now so if it ever happens again we catch it early and it doesn't get as bad as it did. Did they tell you if you have it a couple of times they have to go in and remove the infected parts of your colon or intestine? They told me that (I don't remember exactly what they said had to go) so if I ever get that pain going I will go right in to my PCP. Fortunately I haven't had another bout of it to date, although I do occasionally have the pain in that area, but it hasn't done more than be a little uncomfortable for a short time then it goes away. I'm sorry you have all that to contend with along with a bad knee, and I hope things get better.

@Tabbycat Your care, concern and prayers are a big help and I appreciate you. I am waiting and hoping this knee improves. My OS was disappointed in the results so far, but said he was just going to think about it as a full revision when it comes to healing and hope it's just taking a while to get better. He'll be watching it, and we'll see what it decides to do. He thinks it'll get better as time goes on and I'll be able to ride my bike again, and walk a lot more. I'm hanging on to his hope as my own has pretty much faded away. I'm going to re-do my gym membership (I'm first going to use their free offer just to see if I'm okay walking in the pool without pain) and my daughter and I plan to go together.

Timetolive

post-grad
Country
Kim, yes, I am very aware of what can go terribly wrong with the diverticulitis. If you continue to have infections (the "itis" portion) they will go in and remove the parts of the sigmoid colon (the descending part on the lower left side of the abdomen) if that is where your diverticula are. My brother has had Stage 4 Colon Cancer, so I am EXTREMELY cautious about my colon, as is my gastroenterologist. When I had my flare, it was a month after my TKR, I was withdrawing from the morphine, passing a kidney stone, and then had the infection. All of that created the perfect (hahaha) storm of vomiting, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, and gosh awful pain. I thought I was dying - literally.

I thought of something else I had done for my swelling. My OS sent me to a physical therapist that specialized in lymphedema/ edema wrapping. She taught me how to wrap my leg from my mid calf to my mid thigh. THAT is what I did to get the swelling out before she transitioned me to the compression mid-thigh. It might be worth a try. Best of luck and you are in my prayers.

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Another view of my knee at two months..... You can see the scar is also getting thicker, instead of thinning and fading...sigh.

Attachments

Timetolive

post-grad
Country
Kim, what is the dark spot on the side of the swelling? Is that where they used a probe? It is awfully dark for two months in comparison to your scar. I couldn't see it very well. Do you have an infection there? My "hump" looked exactly like yours - except I have much bigger legs than yours.....:bored: Do you massage your scar?

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The dark area is a scar from last October when a mole was removed at the same time as the OS did the arthroscopy to clean up scar tissue. For some reason scars on and around my knee make keloids and/or look darker and thicker. I have massaged it in the past, but haven't done it this time as it's still painful to do. I will eventually as the pain goes away. Even the OS's exam the other day was painful and he was trying to be gentle.

sistersinhim

Country
What a comforting thought! You filled my heart with huge thanks and love! What a wonderful unselfish thing to do! I pray I can remember to do the same thing when I can get back swimming. When I feel that little, unexplainable uplifting, I will know it's you praying for me! Thank you again!

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wow, @KarriB ! What a wonderful idea! You are such an inspiration and help to everyone here. I'll keep that in mind and when I'm in the pool walking, I'll do the same every circuit, until I can swim laps again and then do it your way. Thank-you so much!

KarriB

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Praying is a privilege. I've been praying while I swim for years now. In the beginning I was praying for my "children" their studies, sports, travel, jobs and then it just grew to a regular prayer time. Only problem is that I sometimes forget what lap I'm on. :swim:

uva55

post-grad
Country
@KarriB that is so nice...my prayers list seems to be getting longer and longer, I also find comfort in prayer!

LoveGiants

graduate
Country
I discovered that one thing I enjoyed about swimming was being able to be lost in thought and prayer. I couldn't do that on my bike.

Kim, I'll pray that your knee turns around and heals. I'm sorry it's painful and worrisome.

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Okay, this is definitely strange, but in a good way. I still walk with a limp, but I just noticed I'm walking without a limp. I still hurt and am still really swollen, but I'm walking pretty much normally right now. Maybe it's because I haven't been on it much today, who knows. I just plan to enjoy it while it lasts!

OP
OP
lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Well, it was short lived-I just ran to the store, and used a regular cart. I noticed soon after that I was limping again and the pain was a bit stronger.....:shrug::boohoo:But thanks, @newlybionic

turtle68

graduate
Country
Hope it's a better day today. Sounds like you may have joined the ODIC yesterday.

Dorothy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
j4ever02
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom