Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Thanks @turtle68 and @Pumpkln I hadn't done much yesterday before I ran to the store. I was only in there a few minutes as I only needed a few ears of corn, a bell pepper, some melons and a package of buns, and I went through the express checkout. (Normally I make my own buns, but didn't want to turn on the oven in over 100 degree weather, even though my house is nice and cool) At this point I should be able to do basic stuff without causing problems for my knee....sigh. Luckily, it didn't hurt terribly, just a little more than it did when I went in to the store. And I did take it easy for a while after, so today it should be okay. It's so frustrating to see that while just about everyone heals from the surgery and is able to get on with their lives again, I'm stuck in a seemingly never ending cycle of pain and swelling. Don't get me wrong, I'm really very happy for everyone who heals and gets to take their life back. I'm just tired of the whole thing; it's been so many years struggling with this knee.

From the time I injured it to now has been somewhere around 10 years. The first years after the bowling injury (yes, it really was a bowling injury) were problematic and annoying, but the rest of the years have been a difficult struggle with minor surgeries and procedures that did nothing, leading up to the TKR. I feel like I've been through all of them to no avail. All the stress, pain and problems I've gone through to try to get this knee fixed have seemed to be a waste and I'm no closer to a solution than I was before all that. I've had a lot of surgeries in my life, but all of them have fixed the issue and left me in a better place than before the surgeries, but for some reason my knee just won't cooperate. And that is so frustrating! :gaah:Okay, rant over for the day...
 
I really feel for what you are going through Kim, I get a glimmer of hope and then it seems to be dashed. But you did walk normally if only for a short while. It could well be related to activity. My knee gets irritated at the slightest little thing. There's nothing straightforward in this recovery. Ten years is a very long time to be in pain and feeling that you are no closer to a solution. I am praying so hard that you get to turn a corner soon and regain hope for a full recovery. :praying:
Tabby xxx
 
I'm not going to preach to you to look at the bright side. You need to vent and I understand completely. We have a good day and are shot right back down the next. If only we could have two good days in a row. Then three. I twill happen, in God's time and your knee's time! I do believe in prayer and continue to pray for my friends on BS, and you are one of those. Please take care and get plenty of rest. Just a thought, have you tried fluid pills to try and get your swelling down?
 
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about the ongoing struggles with your knee. Having surgeries with the hope that they'll solve the problems and not work has to be maddening. It's ok to rant and vent—it's good and we're here to listen.

:: hugs ::
 
I'm about the same, thanks! Watching the game and then I'm going to get ready to go celebrate national ice cream day by meeting one daughter and her husband at the ice cream parlor. Then we're invited to another daughter's home to roast s'mores over their new fire pit with our granddaughter. Hopefully, my knee doesn't protest and I can have fun, but I think the biggest danger is sugar overload...lol. I'm glad you're coming along nicely.
 
Kim,
I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time. I am just going to agree with almost everyone else on here and say GO HOME! Personally, I always feel much better when I am in my own bed and around the stuff and people that make me happy. It sounds like it would be much better than the rehab anyway. I'm wondering if you are allergic to the Dilaudid? Probably not, but I would imagine you shouldn't be so sick at this point of your recovery process! Hang in there!
 
Thanks, @ACDCJen . I was a bit confused reading your post until I realized you might not have been reading the dates in my thread. It was actually two years ago when I had my TKR and May 17th of this year when I had the most recent surgery. But I still appreciate your support and care.:flwrysmile:
 
Ugh....Tonight we went to get an ice cream sundae with our oldest daughter. We sat in a booth, ate some ice cream, then went home for a few minutes. Then we went to our middle daughter's house where I sat outside in my zero gravity chair with my knee up most of the time. Came home around 10 pm, and now my knee is pretty painful and a little more swollen than it was. I have a burning sensation right over my kneecap, plus some extra pain on the right side. It's also warm, which it hasn't been lately. This is so crazy. I should be able to do a lot more two months out from this surgery. Even my OS seems surprised at how little my knee lets me do. I didn't walk more than from the parking space right by the door, and into a booth, and from the driveway to the front door of our daughter's house. Mostly I sat. The only thing I did that could cause a problem was sitting in the booth with my knee down the whole time, which is why I haven't gone out to a restaurant yet. It's really beginning to get to me, I am still so limited in what I can do, when I should be a lot further along. I guess it's an all nighter with the ice machine tonight, and likely tomorrow also.....:sigh:
 
Hi Kim, you are in my thoughts a lot at the moment, and I'm so sorry you are continuing to have pain and swelling. You said "I am so limited in what I can do when I should be a lot further along". I feel exactly the same at 3 months. I'm starting to feel pressure (though mostly self inflicted) to be more recovered than I am, and it's hard to not feel like a bit of a failure, but I know this creates additional stress which doesn't help matters. I can't walk far and still need my sticks and my knee feels tight and painful when I'm standing and when I bend it. I also can't sit with my knee down. A friend I haven't seen since before the surgery e-mailed me the other day and said ' I expect you are now out of pain and getting back to doing the things you want to do' and I don't know what to say in reply. I know she'll be sympathetic, but it's hard when you feel as if you are being left behind, and worrying about why you are not progressing. I think what I'm trying (very badly) to say is that you are not alone, I believe we will get through this, they say the darkest hour is before the dawn.
Hoping for better days ahead.
Much love, Tabby
 
I'm so sorry @lovetocookandsew and @Tabbycat. I can feel your frustration. You are not being left behind we are right with you all of the way. People have talked about the magic wand that would suddenly make all well. I wish I had one that I could touch you with and make instant healing. Kim, I'm glad you had good family time and ice cream. I think of the AAA phrase - take one day at a time - or something like that. I'm afraid that's what we much do. I hope today is better.
 
Thanks, Tabby and Amy Jo. This morning, after being on the ice machine all night, my knee feels better than it did last night. I'm hoping it behaves today, especially as I have a bunch of cucumbers we picked Saturday that I'm going to turn into pickles today. Luckily it's not a ton, enough for two or three bottles only. I make refrigerator pickles, they're pretty easy so shouldn't be a problem with my knee. We only planted one cucumber this year as the last couple of years we've planted two and had them coming out of our ears. We didn't even realize there were this many already; we knew there were two cucumbers that were a little small so we waited to pick them for a couple of days. Imagine our shock when we went to pick them to find all these hiding in the cage!

@Tabbycat I'm hoping you feel better soon and can begin to do some, or all, of the things you've been wanting to do. It's not fun to go through a TKR, nor the recovery afterward, but if there's a light at the end of that very long tunnel, it's worth heading into it. I just can't see any light; rather a long, never-ending tunnel right now. I have had hope so many times in the last couple of years, but just keep getting those hopes dashed. I know you'll do well eventually, and I'm really glad for you, and everyone, who goes through this and comes out with their life back. I just want to be one of those and am trying to keep at least a little hope alive that it will happen.

@Floridagal The ice cream was delicious, although I could only eat a little before the sugar volume got to me. But, we took it home and stuck it in the freezer for another day, or days. I ordered a small two scoop dish with some caramel and hot fudge topping. No whipped cream, nuts or cherries, and it still turned out to be a huge sundae! The way it was described as two small scoops I expected a child's size portion, but it was huge. Next time I plan to order a half scoop as I barely ate that much. My husband ordered a black and tan, and it was enough for 3 or 4 people-yet he ate the whole thing! Of course, he believes ice cream is one of the four basic food groups, and wanted to celebrate National Ice Cream Day by eating it all...lol. We did have nice visits with family though, and I'm glad I went even though I paid a little for the outings.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
    cucumbers.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 163
@lovetocookandsew and @Tabbycat, you are being prayed for by a lot of people. Better days are coming and I pray today is the beginning of them for you. As bad as you both feel, you always have time to think of others and offer us you care and prayers. Your days are coming! Now, just rest and take care of the baby. And Kim, I wish you could send me some of those yummy cucumbers my way! They would taste mighty good in my toss salad for dinner!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That sundae is exactly what I would have ordered but it would be all gone now. I hope you are feeling well enough to enjoy it.
 
@lovetocookandsew and @Tabbycat we all know how difficult recovery is for us, and even when you feel you are turning that corner you can't get too comfortable because your knee decides to remind you who is in charge, but even if one little thing improves on a daily basis, it does not matter what it is, sometimes we don't even realize it immediately that we are able to do something that was impossible a few days ago, the important thing is to NEVER give up, keep the positive attitude, go have your ice cream sundae, go out for tea, but we have to try to put a little of what we like to do, even if it's in small doses,into this temporary way of life.

We will all get to that finish line, we will celebrate each victory as it happens, we will be there for each other to laugh, cry, SCREAM, whine or wine, lol

Most of all ladies, I think one of the things that has kept me sane, besides BS, is sense of humor, I laugh at myself, I was going up some steps with my 86 year old father and in a race I think he can take me :bawl:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom