Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Hi Kim. I can totally relate to the lack of stamina, and shaking. I'm 7 weeks out and still can't manage being away from home for long for the same reasons as you. I had some bad side effects from dilaudid, too. How long ago did you stop taking it?

I think they are out of my system finally, but the problem is they caused so many of my body systems to go haywire that it's going to take a long time to set it all right, especially since so much energy, etc, is already going to healing my knee and hand. I also think the older we get the longer it takes to recover from any major shock, and when you take a triple whammy as I did with 2 surgeries and the bad reaction, it takes a while. Thanks so much for your good wishes!

I almost had thumb surgery right after this tkr, but at the last minute, I decided to wait. I don't think I could have handled it very well, so I'm going to have it done in January. You're brave for having both done at the same time, and how nice that all that will be behind you soon.

It wasn't bravery, it was actually cowardice.......:rotfl: If I'd waited, he'd have done it in his surgery in his office area, while I was awake, and that I could not handle! I can barely stand staples out while I'm awake, I certainly couldn't stand that surgery unless asleep. He would have done it while I was under a light sleep, kind of like at the oral surgeon when they knock you out, if I had really wanted, but this was just easier on both of us.

My OS told me I could ditch the cane at 4 weeks, which is tomorrow, so I've been walking around without it all day. (Of course I've spent a lot of time looking for the darn thing every time I set it down and then walked off without it, so I have done some unauthorized walking unaided already...lol) I'm so grateful to have two hands again, even though I still can't carry anything heavy in my left hand. Each milestone after surgery is a reminder of what you had lost and are now getting back. I'm just grateful to have two hands again. I still don't have much strength nor stamina, but I am working on getting my body to cooperate. My knee is still really swollen, more so than before the surgery, naturally, and still painful, so I don't yet know if this surgery helped any in that area, or if I'll still be in the same place as before the surgery. I'm still waiting for the final results on the cultures so I'll post the results here as soon as I get them. I knew my OS would be slow in getting them to me, but this is getting past slow and heading towards "Give me the dang results already!"

Attachments

• 6-13-16 knee.jpg
    6-13-16 knee.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 177
Waiting for test results is never fun, and having to wait this long is difficult. They probably would have contacted you by know if there was something serious, don't you think? Your leg does look swollen, but your incision looks really good for just barely four weeks. I really hope the inside is as good as the outside. Congrats on losing the cane and regaining some of your mobility!

My OS will contact me with the results, but he is notoriously slow due to how busy he is. It's supposed to have been a 3 week culture and we're now at 4 weeks, so if I don't hear from him pretty darn soon, I'll call his nurse and have her give him a kick in the pants for me.........lol. I think the reason it the incision looks so good is that he used glue this time.

I'll be looking out for a post on your test results. My knee was glued too and the incision healed much faster than the first, which was taped with something called Zipline. Have a comfortable evening.

The incision looks really good! I do hope you hear the results soon. Waiting can be so hard!

Great news! My OS just now contacted me and let me know all the cultures are NEGATIVE! I basically already knew that but it's good to finally hear it.

Excellent news, hoping you are feeling better and the spacer is helping.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart[emoji768]
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014

Thanks, Chris and Peggy!
I don't yet know if the surgery helped or not. I'm still having a decent amount of pain, some of which reminds me of the pain before the surgery. I still have a lot of swelling and it does resemble the previous swelling, but in greater amounts. I don't know how much is from the surgery and how much, if any, is from whatever was/is going on in there. Time will tell, but it's hard to wait and stay positive, as I am really worried nothing was solved and I'll still be in the same boat as before. I knew that might be the case before the surgery but was willing to take the chance hoping it would fix the problem, but that hope is beginning to fade........

I'm still really weak and tire easily, but am slowly making a little progress. I do a small task, then collapse for a rest, then another task, rest, etc. At least I can do a few small things now, though it takes me all day to do what usually takes no time or thought at all. But, I did go down (and back up!......lol) my driveway today WITHOUT MY CANE to get the mail!!!!! :happydance: I'm really hoping still, that removing and replacing all the plastic liners and cleaning out everything, etc, will have done the trick in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kim,
So happy you had good news from your test results. I really hope that as time goes by you will find that the surgery has helped.
Sending love and hugs,
Tabby xxx

Hi Kim,
It's great news that you have no infection. :yes!::happydance::yay::dancy:

Although I could manage without the cane, I still took it with me when going outside in wet weather, or amongst crowds. I had a "better safe than sorry" policy.
Mine is a folding cane and it's still in my car, 18 months after my last TKR. I haven't used it for about a year, but at least I know where it is.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back