Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Yeah, another milestone, walking down and up hill is quite an accomplishment, glad you are not sitting on the curb. Hopefully the new spacer is all you will need.
We had a wonderful time on our trip, all 50 states and a lot of fun.
 
That's the movie Kim- LOL! I really enjoyed it too! Funny, I started my post to you out saying, 'Careful Kim.. I've told myself on several different occasions since entering this v...e...r...y slow recovery that I will never over do it again'.. blah, blah, blah. Well guess what dizzy me did not long after typing said post.

I had a bowl of fresh strawberries on the kitchen counter that had been tempting me all day. I was determined to take it easy today because for the past few days my knee has been pouting, stiffening up on me and returning some aches I haven't felt since my first few weeks post-op. Granted, each time it was because I'd either been in the car too long- or walking around outside a little more than my norm. So I re-commited myself to the mantras and pulled my ice packs back out and today was going to be MY day of doing nothing but going to the bathroom & pampering the ole girl (knee).

Those strawberries just wouldn't leave me alone however. The next thing I know I'm thinking about my Ball Tech jam maker that is just sitting right there in the pantry on the shelf- right next to my jelly jars- and all it takes is 4 easy ingredients that is also 'right there'. I mean, after all, I can sit and cut the caps off of 2 1/3c of strawberries- how long does it take to measure up 'just 4 ingredients'. And on and on my rational goes.

Well, I had a ball doing it. I felt like a real farm woman again. And the 4 1/2 pint jars of jam are beautiful. But what an IDIOT I was to think I could get away with that unscathed.

Tonight my knee is livid w/ me. And it's just like you said. When you're feeling bad it's so easy to stay put and recover. But when you're feeling better the mind tempts you to get up and do something. I haven't even thought about a oxycodone in 2wks, until tonight. LOL! But I'm not going back there. I'm going to take my punishment and do better tomorrow!

I have her wrapped in my big ice pack now and she's easing up on me. Consider me Careful- for a few days anyway- lol!

[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Chris, I am so hoping that too. I really, really cannot go through this again. Both of the big surgeries about killed me with the reactions I had to the Dilaudid. I don't want to take it any more as a result, and it's basically all I had left for pain medicine. So, if anything comes up, such as metal allergy, and I have to have a revision, I can't see how they can possibly do it and leave me with no way to stop the pain.
I'm so glad you had a nice vacation! I can't imagine all 50 states, but maybe one day we'll hit that milestone. We have talked about a fifth wheel, and even looked at some. I fell in love with one that would be perfect for our needs, so we may take the plunge when hubby retires in a few years.
 
Lol @Suz ! I can't believe after all we talked about...........oh well, come join the ODIC! But, I would recommend if you are in a lot of pain, take the darn Oxycodone! I know it feels like a step backwards, but remember, sometimes it's two steps forward, one step back. Now, do I need to lecture you on overdoing? Making jam?!!!! Even I wouldn't try that, and I have a tree full of well-ripened tangelos right outside I wanted to make into freezer jam! I have to just let it go, even as they stare at me outside my kitchen window.....sigh.
 
HAHA!! I know!! My husband came in and caught me- just as I was filling the water bath canner and he literally walked me out of the kitchen. LOL!! He put the little jars in the canner and processed them. I learned from the ordeal. And I blame it totally on my rebel side-!!!
 
Well, today is one of those two steps forward and one step back days, definitely one step back. I didn't sleep all that well, and I have actually been sleeping pretty well once I get to sleep. So, I woke with a headache and a yucky tummy so can't take anything for the headache until it settles down. My knee feels really sore on the scar when I try to bend it so I know it's likely more swollen today. So I've basically been lying around all morning, which I hate, but I don't feel up to much of anything else today. I'm going to try to eat a little so I can get some Motrin in me and then take a shower. Maybe that'll help, we shall see............
 
Good news today is my sewing room is basically back to normal! I had hubby put the bookshelf back the other day and every time I walk by the room, I've taken one thing and put it away where it belongs, so now all I need to do is dust and vacuum and it'll be back to tidy. But, the dusting and vacuuming can wait for another day when I feel up to it. Luckily that room gets very little dust, so it doesn't look dusty like the rest of the house.
 
I'm being real good today Kim! All I've done was put a steak on the grill and sit on the front porch for 30 minutes! I don't know if Ms. Knee is just not speaking to me today after last nights strawberry jam excursion or what- but pain is controlled! I didn't sleep worth a flip last night either- tonight will hopefully be better for us!

:yawn:
 
Good to hear, Suzie! You take care of that knee and it'll be kind to you. I'm going to say that we will both have a restful night's sleep and wake feeling wonderful!
 
It's so hard to lay around, isn't it? There's so much to do, but there it sits waiting and waiting. I'm so sick of being at home, but don't have the energy to do much else. I don't know how some people do both knees just weeks apart! Wishing you two steps forward this weekend. xo
 
This is ridiculous.....I got in the car, hubby drove 1/2 a mile to the glass store. I walked 15 feet into the store and sat down. Looked at cabinet glass samples, picked and paid for the glass, got in car and went straight home. I was starting to feel bad in the store, by the time we got home it took everything I had to walk into the house and lie down. Now I'm shaking like crazy and feel extremely weak. It's almost a month and I have zero energy and stamina. I really hate this!
 
Have you been able to eat anything of substance yet? It sounds like the times that I have had low blood sugar. I hope you start to feel better soon.
 
Thanks, @newlybionic
I actually am eating regular meals now. I've been eating the meals I froze ahead of time with plenty of vegetables, plus regular foods at other times. It's not that, somehow the reaction to the Dilaudid really messed up my entire system; add to that the normal recovery from the surgery and it's a recipe for disaster. I know eventually I'll have my strength and stamina back, but it's totally frustrating now. Without that reaction I'd be doing pretty well by now, so I am doing everything I can to get back, but my body just isn't cooperating.
 
Hi Kim, Sorry you've been having a tough time lately. Those medications can really do a job on us !!! If it's from the Dilaudid can they switch you to something else. The only thing I was able to handle was Tramadol, and when the time came I had a really tough time stopping that. I had to go soooo gradually on decreasing the dosage or I spent the day in the bathroom!!! Although you have been eating more it still take some time to get your stamina back. Hope you start feeling better soon.
 
@newlybionic I'm still waiting to hear those results, thanks. As soon as I hear, I will definitely post them here.

@karol723 I'm not taking any pain meds other than Motrin/Tylenol as needed. The day I had the reaction hit me was the last day I took any narcotic pain meds. Basically, Dilaudid was the last thing I could use and now that's off the list, so I don't know what I'll do if I ever need major pain relief again. Thank-you for your good wishes!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom