Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Thanks, Tabby!
@Celle Thank-you! I agree-my cane's living in my car now so I can use it for longer distances and crowds. No need to worry about rain though.....lol...not only will we have no rain again for a long time, we're going to get to 105 and then 108 degrees next week, so I likely won't even leave my house. :gaah:

Yay...another step on the path to normalcy...(albeit a tiny step). I actually shaved my legs today. I haven't done it before as I can't do it in the bathtub because I can't bend my knee enough to reach all of it comfortably. I can't do it standing under the shower because I can't safely prop my leg on the side of the shower and not risk falling. So, I can finally bend my knee enough to sit on the side of the tub and shave away! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh..........nice smooth legs again......lol.

No infection! Such a long time to wait but what a great result!

RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

This is wonderful news Kim- Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 12.14.00 PM.png !!!

I got tickled at your incident of getting your legs shaved! I've been watching mine go unshaved for 6wks and refused to see my surgeon today with hairy legs. So this morning I pulled out my razor and went at it. After getting them all smoothed up I thought- hey, it's time for some toenail color- painted my toenails and felt like
the Queen of the Silver Dollar- LOL!!!

Like Paula said.. 'it's the little things'!

Really happy for you that your results came back negative!

LOL! Something a man never concerns himself with! I've been using Nair since I don't trust myself with a razor!

RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

I tried that Nair stuff years ago and it burned my legs really badly. So, I stick to razors.....

That is nasty! My daughter cannot use it either. I always cut something when I shave. LOL!

RTKR January 6 2016
LTKR March 23 2016

I had a difficult night last night. My knee was really swollen and pretty painful. I used the ice machine all night and my knee feels a little better this am. I didn't sleep as well as I usually do, but at least the knee isn't killing me right now. It was also really hot, not just warm as it always is, but hot. It's still really warm, but at least the pain has abated some.
I have to drive today-I need to pick up the glass inserts for our cupboard doors that we had specially cut, and the glass place isn't open late enough for hubby to get them on his way home. Luckily the store is half a mile away, so it won't be too bad.
I had to cancel a really important dentist app't I had tomorrow that was made months ago, as it's too far for me to drive. Hubby would have taken me but I just don't have the energy for a cleaning, scaling, planing dentist visit yet. It's a pain as I had to reschedule and the next opening they have isn't until October. The reason it's so important is I have to do this before beginning the prep for my partials. I was hoping I'd be able to go by now, but just can't do it yet....sigh.

Oh Kim, I hate hearing this. Isn't it interesting how one day we're going along just fine- cheering people on here and feeling like we're on our way up & out of.. 'the surgery'. Only to find the next day things have gone into reverse. When I left my surgeon's office yesterday, (had no idea the M word would ever come up), I felt as if I was back at day 2 post-op. I was so distraught I wasn't even going to come here and share.

But then I think back to the several hurdles I've faced post-op and how they always seem to soon resolve themselves. Right now I'm dealing with swelling & stiffness and I'm at fault- I know that. But geeze.. I want my life back! I just have to remind myself of what I've been through, all of the things I've read here over and over about taking care of myself and I make myself rearrange my discouraged thoughts. Like I did yesterday after leaving my surgeon's office. Coming here and getting side-tracked into my jam making helped me overcome the discouragement! I'm still very concerned about my stiff knee, (I realize I'm rambling REALLY bad right now), but all of this to say, I'm so sorry things have slowed and become uncomfortable again in your recovery. They have for me too. But we'll take this time of discomfort, slow down, put our knees back up and address whatever problem comes up. Then we'll get better! And better! And better yet still, in time!

I'm thinking of you and hoping things improve quickly!

:console2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, driving my SUV was actually a breeze. I just used my left foot to brake...lol. However, lack of energy and stamina continues to be an issue. I got my cabinet doors and the glass (and the guy there put them in my car for me) and brought them into my house. Now I need a nap. This is driving me nuts! In two days it'll be a month and I should have had a lot more strength, energy, etc, by now. I know the reaction making my body go haywire is the reason, but by now I should have at least some of my usual strength, etc, back. Grrrrrrrrrrr.................

You are only a month post op, that's nothing even though it must sometimes feel like an age. I think the forwards/backwards nature of this recovery is one of the most difficult things about it. Especially if you think you should be further on than you are.
We've all just got to be tenacious and hang in there, we've got better health in view to motivate us.
Enjoy your nap :sleep:
Love, Tabby :kittykiss:

I know, but I didn't have a TKR, so this recovery should be a little faster. I had a big-ish surgery, but with no infection found to cause different problems, my recovery should be further along than it is. Thanks, Tabby.

You have certainly had a difficult journey. At least you can drive if only for a short distance. Remember when you couldn't get out of bed? I know the ups and downs are hard but you are a real survivor. I am predicting that you will have more ups now than downs. Don't lose heart.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie