Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Kim,
Once they figure out what is going on, infection or not?? Sounds like you may be your way to a gold knee.
Take care, hope you go home tomorrow.
 
Thanks Chris. I hope I'm ready tomorrow unless he changes my meds to new ones. Then I need a little more time to be safe. All I know is I'm not ready tonight. It's frustrating to have to wait three more weeks and I'm betting it's not an infection but a nickel allergy.
 
I agree, but it is worth the wait before proceeding. Wait until it is all clear, so you can proceed with confidence that your are on your way to finally recovering from these surgeries.
 
Hope your pain level and itching will soon be under control. You must be anxious to go home, but until everything is OK you're better off staying where you can be monitored. Hoping today is a better day for you.
 
@newlybionic Thanks! I'm not feeling at all well today... but I heard my night nurse tell the day nurse at report that since I'm on a major antibiotic (Vancomycin) I might be here two to three more days. I'm not sure if she got that from my chart.....or her experience.....or just her own guess. I'll have a good chat with my OS today when he wanders through.
 
In my experience some doctors make sure that their patients have a certain number of doses of antibiotics especially if it's not totally clear that you don't have an infection.
 
Hi all. Well, my pain is not controlled and I'm having big waves of nausea come and go and constant nausea that's not good but not as bad as the waves. The big waves aren't as bad as they were but the Dilaudid and I aren't getting along too well right now. My OS had to go to Oakland for the day so I've seen his PA a couple of times today. He spoke briefly to the OS and I'm going to be here at least until tomorrow. Then we hope to try the new medicine he mentioned and see how that works. I am walking to the toilet now instead of a bedside commode...only 10 steps but better than none. My knee won't straighten enough to touch my heel down so I'm walking on my toes. I haven't walked more than 15 steps at a time but did sit in a chair with it elevated for an hour this am.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my pain medication changed to something called,'Opana'. Never heard of it and hoping it works. Next pain med time we'll use that one.
 
Opana's generic name is Oxymorphone.

Nausea is listed as one of its side effects, so if you have this problem with it, you will need to have a regular dose of an anti-emetic, such as Zofran, prescribed.
 
I'm glad the Zofran is already ordered. Do ask for it to be prescribed orally, along with your discharge meds.
 
Not sure yet. Dr just changed me to codeine except that I am allergic to it so now have to figure it out. Don't know what happened with the other one though. Hoping to go tomorrow.
 
When will you know the results of the cultures? I'm assuming they took cultures to check for infection. Is there a test they can do for nickel allergy? Are you allowed to bend the knee?
 
@KarriB They are doing a three week culture so the longest wait could be the three weeks. I had the LTT metal allergy test a while back and it was positive for nickel. So now we have to wait for cultures then if positive do a two stage revision. If negative I think think we assume it's the nickel and he does a one stage revision. Either way he'll use the gold knee he ordered for me. The knee doesn't seem to bend or straighten much so far. He did say he got it to 135 in surgery. I knew he would as it's not the knee but the swelling holding my ROM to 90-100.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have had an awful afternoon between the med order changing...feeling ill since early this morning....med order changing, then changing again, then back to Dilaudid tonight...then they lost my dinner tray....my Pico pump has been buzzing and vibrating all afternoon and driving me nuts........ tomorrow better get better. Have had wonderful care but just an afternoon and evening of frustration and not anyone's fault really...just happens
 
ugh....this girl HATES needles so what does my body do? My body makes sure to infiltrate the IVs often. This is my third IV and it took six or seven sticks to get them all situated, darn it all,,..,.....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom