Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time at the moment, having nausea on top of pain has got to be the worst thing to try to cope with. I went through the exact same thing. It was only when I was home and off all the morphine based meds including codeine that I stopped being sick. Getting my appetite back was a big boost, even though I was in a lot of pain. Keep trying different meds though, I know others persevered and found a combination that helped in the end, I think GimpyGal was one. It must be difficult to get any proper rest as well, but that will come in time. You will get better.
Wow, 1000 posts on BoneSmart, that is an achievement!
Sending healing thoughts and gentle hugs across the pond :console2:
Love, Tabby xxx
I'm with you on the needle phobia too, so stressful. I think we are very brave, don't you?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Were you ok getting the PICC line in? I was surprised I handled that as well as I did. Of course the techs were fantastic and helped keep my attention on other things.
 
I'm very sorry you are going through so much. I'm hoping that you can get out of the hospital soon so they don't have to keep re starting new IVs. How are you doing today?
 
Bless you heart. You are going through so much. I pray that God will direct the doctors to know what you need and then that you are relieved from all this pain and nausea.
 
So sorry to hear about what a tough time you've been having. You are being so patient and brave. I doubt that I could handle what you are going through with such grace ! Hope you get everything sorted out soon and will be able to go home.
 
Hi and thanks everyone! I don't have a pic line on, @KarriB .
I appreciate your prayers, @sistersinhim !
I am okay, @newlybionic not great, just okay.
@Pumpkln I'll close my eyes and hang on tight to something or someone. Time for my five hour walk now..............:heehee:
My Dilaudid has been IV the last times and my nausea is gone now!
 
Thanks @karol723 !
Still in the hospital where they just made some more changes to my pain meds. If this works I'll go home tomorrow morning. If not, I'm screwed. But we have come to a consensus....if negative for infection in three weeks, we assume the nickel allergy and do a one stage revision. If positive for infection, we do a two stage revision. Even though not exactly what I want, long term I realize that's in my best interests. Everyone I've spoken to about this says they think a revision is my best option. If by some miracle, the procedure he just did worked, then we leave it for a bit and see what happens. But I highly suspect a revision of some kind is in my future, even tho I'd like to skip that option totally. :blackcloud:
 
That's good news about the nausea, let's hope things are looking up for you. Hope you can get some decent rest.
Love, Tabby xxx
PS we'll pray for the new meds to work, and for a miracle!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Hi lovetocookandsew, you kindly welcomed me in my intro thread. I'm sorry to hear you're having challenges with your medicines and not feeling well. I hope you're feeling better today and are able to go home tomorrow.

I'm impressed by your preparation and freezing meals. That's a great idea!
 
You're right, either way may mean a revision, unless blood work shows a lower or non-existing infection rate. My washout/spacer replacement worked for me, but the antibiotics are on going. Are they keeping you on an antibiotic and is it oral or IV? A picc line would make IV access easier and doesn't blow like an IV does. But if you're short term than that's why they're staying with the IV.
 
Here is to hoping you're reading this from home and your tummy is better but I am thinking not. So I hope they found meds that do away with your pain and your nausea. This time is rough so I will offer my prayers that you feel better and get to go home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hope you're feeling better and that the medication change helps. Waiting the 3 weeks to determine what will or will not need to be done will be tough too, although necessary. I'm sure you must be anxious to go home to your own bed, hopefully that will happen today. My last tkr I couldn't wait to leave the rehab facility. The staff was great, but my roommate was a horror! She cried and complained all day and kept peeing on the bathroom floor !!! I'd get in the bathroom (hobbling across the room with my walker) and then need to call someone to clean up her mess before I could use the bathroom. Needless to say, I went home asap!!! Will be keeping my fingers crossed for you to go home hopefully today.
 
It's official...I AM HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay::happydance::yes!: Exhausted, shaky, weak, but HOME! My bed is sooooooo comfy and soft.............And I can actually SEE my Giants when I watch them later. Everything's still up in the air...but I know it's a waiting game at this point. A ton of patience is required.

My OS used some drain pumps called PICO for both my knee and wrist-I have zero idea what they are, what they're used for, etc. But whatever they are, they have to stay until the 31st and I go for my first post-op appointment. It's not only a pain because they're almost as big as a deck of cards, they keep falling off, plus they beep all the time; then if the dang things think I must not have heard the first time, they start yelling at me.
He also used a zip-line closure instead of stitches or staples. All the ortho docs there are moving away from staples and going to the zip-line. Removal will be so much easier on me this time than last.
The culture is negative at 72 hours-but we already knew it would be since it was negative at 5 days before they tossed it a couple of months ago. It's stressing me out to hear reports about it every day or two-I'm worried they'll toss it again at 5 days. But, I'm going to message my doc today to make sure that doesn't happen; you can't even imagine the hissy fit I'd throw if that happened again :tantrum2::headbang::tantrum::hissy::banghead::groan::hairpulling:
Now, back to my icing machine....:chillpill::ice:
 
I'm very glad that you are now home. Enjoy the game and get some sleep when you can. All the different medical machinery can be so annoying because of all the niose that they make. I hope they don't bother you too much.
 
Back
Top Bottom