Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Kim,
Very happy to hear you are at home, finally. I agree if they toss those samples early, they should get an earfull.
How is the carpal tunnel surgery doing?

Here is the post op reading, again.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

:sleep:, :ice:, :elevate:, and :chillpill: on schedule as prescribed.
 
@Pumpkln hahaha...I keep forgetting about the carpal tunnel surgery. Other than a big fat annoying bandage and noisy beeper, I don't even notice it as it doesn't hurt a bit. I even forgot to ask the OS about it after surgery. :heehee: I'll have to remember to ask. But I believe he'll be removing this PICO thing on the 31st so I'll ask him about it then. Right now I'm going to double check with him to make sure they don't throw out the cultures.

@newlybionic Thanks! The ice machine was pretty loud in the hospital, but here it's on carpet and a towel, I'm hoping that quiets it down. Hubby had to go get a few things at the store so will set it up when he gets back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect it was successful, but I did forget to ask him about it. lol. But, in my defense, between the tummy problems and the knee pain, if it wasn't yelling for my attention this week, it got none.
 
Oh wonderful, you're back home and can be in your own bed! Now, for your complete healing, that's the next prayer. How is your pain management now? How about your nausea?
 
@sistersinhim Thank-you! Right now my pain is pretty bad-hubby gave me the pills after we got home-he was supposed to give me 4 mg, but somehow only gave me 2 mg. Plus, I didn't have any ice on as he had to run an errand and was putting it on when he got back. The machine is on now, but waiting for the Dilaudid to fully kick in. So far this afternoon, my nausea is minor. :happydance:
 
@Celle Thank-you! I totally agree. They were keeping a very close eye on me all week which meant that people were always either coming or going and rarely was my room empty. Grateful for the wonderful care I received, but exhausted. So between all the shift changes and care, they were kept quite busy with me.
I forget who told me they went up the steps backward, but it really worked! I was unable to step up with the walker, so PT had me turn around and do it backwards-to my utter shock it was a breeze! I still can't get my leg lifted enough with the lifter to get into the bed without assistance, but I did manage the steps. The steps are not deep enough to hold my walker, so I went into the house backwards and hubby held the front of the walker. PT and home health are supposed to come tomorrow...so if I get the PT I requested, I'll do some, if not, we'll see. I do love this ice machine though. No work to do, no ice packs to constantly change-and it stays evenly cold.:chillpill::elevate::ice::ice::ice:
 
So glad you are home and your nausea is under control.

I'm the nut who went up the stairs to my house backwards the first few days. So much easier! Now that I can comfortably bear some weight on my leg I can go up forwards. Glad my weird idea worked for you, too! :happydance:
 
I had two drain pumps after my infection surgery. One drained blood and one drained pus. Ugh, it was awful! I had to carry them around in the wheel chair and hung out of the bed, but they both fell out before anyone could pull them out.

So happy to hear you got home! Enjoy your own bed!
 
I'm happy you are home at last, I hope you can get some decent rest now and good pain relief.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
So glad you're home. You sound so much happier. Just rest, sleep - you know the routine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@CaliGirl I din't call you a nut....lol...but going up backwards does work well. I just can't do it myself...............well...........I suppose I could if I didn't mind tumbling head first off the step into the front of my car.......

@referee54 Thank-you so much! I am happy to be home.

@waitingtogarden Thank-you! I am happier in my own comfy bed.

@Tabbycat Thank-you!

I did get some sleep last night, not a ton, but enough to function today. Luckily the only function I need right now is breathing.........I went to bed before midnight last night in my 50s and awoke in an entirely new decade! Looked in my bathroom mirror this am....what a scary site! The ugly fairy sure whipped up on me with an ugly stick. No showers or baths at all until after I see my OS on the 31st. I really hate this PICO drain thing-it goes off all night long, and startles the heck out of me in the process.
 
Hi again Kim! That PICO drain you have....is that the one in the huge bandage (dressing)? Looks like a little battery pack attached to it?
 
Thank-you @PegGar16 ! Here's a picture of the darn thing. There's one on my left wrist and another on my right knee.

[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 
I used some bath wipes in leu of showers - until I was healed enough. I got mine from Amazon. You can buy single packs at WalMart. Tried waterless shampoo but I really didn't like them so we would wash my hair at the kitchen sink. But I had to be able to stand long enough for that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
So happy birthday! You've been through an ordeal and lots of stress, no one who goes through that feels at their best, but I can tell from your thoughtfulness that you are a beautiful person, and much appreciated on this forum.
Love, Tabbs xxx
 
Back
Top Bottom