Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I'm glad to hear your surgery is over, Kim, but sorry that night nurse was such a sadist. I really hope she gets the hard word from you surgeon.

Bt now, hopefully, you will be back on track with the pain relief, and feeling more comfortable. It sounds s if you will need to have an anti-emetic prescribed to deal with the nausea and vomiting when you're on oral meds.
 
Thank-you everyone! My OS just added a scheduled Tramadol to the Dilaudid. Tramadol on schedule..... Dilaudid as needed. Plus some kind of steroid meds. Hoping this brings my pain level to a bearable number.
 
Awesome!! From my recent experience....Tramadol is a good drug but it won't cut it alone today or tomorrow (at least) so ask for Dilaudid on schedule. Hopefully the steroid will help with nausea.
Still keeping my fingers crossed for your eventual success!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm also getting benadryl because I itch all over... and Tylenol in my IV in a large dose on schedule. I also have alarms set for everything to make sure we don't miss anything. I think the steroid is for swelling or for a faster healing. Plus antibiotics. Whew.. that's a lot of meds. Thanks guys...all your support really helps!
 
Benadryl didn't work so they're giving me another med for itching. All the meds together are helping some...but still having more pain than I think I should have. They have worked really hard today to get everything under control. Not there yet but going towards the right direction. PT came...I couldn't walk on my knee at all so will try again in the morning. I can hop/swivel on my left leg so can use the bedside commode....no bedpan! :yay: Still haven't slept more than a couple of hours total but that will come. As is the norm I have little appetite but making myself eat regularly anyway.
 
Well done, it sounds as if you are making some progress, let's hope they can reduce your pain a bit more. All your friends are thinking about you and supporting you, you've given so much time to encouraging others, now is the time to think about yourself and concentrate on getting well.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I'm getting IV Vancomycin every four hours I think. I itch so much that even my toenails itch. There are so many meds I'm having a hard time getting them all down on the computer alarm. Still waiting to hear back from the on call doctor about a new anti-itch med. Apparently the pathology report on the frozen sections was negative. I don't know if that means no chance of infection or if it's still very possible. Didn't see the doctor yet but hear he'll be here today as he was gone yesterday. But they reached him by phone for orders. All the rest of the staff has been wonderful... bending over backwards to help me. And since I need a med almost every hour around the clock, plus helping me to the commode every 45-60 minutes, that's saying a lot! :)
 
You are very welcome, Kim. I mean it sincerely.
Your experience is quite a lot like mine so far, my surgeon spent half an hour cleaning up a lot of chronic inflammation from the joint lining from the RA (is that what they call a synovectomy?). I was also on so many meds and combinations I lost count. I spent the first night itching and flushing, turned out it could have been a rare side effect of codeine, and everything made me sick. My nurses were wonderful too, so caring, I could not fault them. I really, really hope you get good news from your test results, it's been such an anxious time, and you deserve a break.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I hope you start to feeling less pain still. I had a lot of itching too when I was in the hospital. Apparently mine was caused by the medication they put in the epidural. They told me it was common for it to happen. I truly understand how it feels like even your toenails itch! They gave me so much Benadryl that I slept through most of a day until they changed it to something else. I'm praying that you continue to have negative results for the cultures.
 
@newlybionic and @Tabbycat Thank-you for all your support and encouragement. It really means a lot.

They changed my Benadryl to hydroxyzine so we'll see if that works. The nurse just told me that right now the plan is for me to go home tomorrow. I'm still on IV Dilaudid as it's making me nauseated all the way to actual vomiting. The OS and I need to figure this out since our plan for recovery may not work. Hopefully he comes early today.
 
Glad to hear the frozen samples are OK, lets hope the three week samples are negative.
Ask your OS about Exparel, a local numbing agent that give pains relief for a couple of days after surgery. Too late now, but for any future surgery. Gets you through that immediate period after surgery.
Hope you and your OS figure this out and you can go home tomorrow.
 
Thank-you Chris . I also hope it goes well today so I can go home tomorrow. I have to walk today. I couldn't bear any weight at all yesterday. It was easier to walk after my TKR!
 
The first couple of days I couldn't get the heel of my foot on the ground. The first few days were tough trying to get around. By the end of the first few days after I got home it seemed like I improved every day. I was worried in the beginning but it turned out to be fine. You'll get there.
 
Thanks guys! My OS's PA was in earlier and said the OS will be in later. We talked about pain control but he wasn't sure what to do after thoroughly going through my chart. I'm still on IV Dilaudid but am going to try oral on the next one.
Okay, just got the oral Dilaudid. I'm hoping that it stays down and there's no nausea. Took it with Zofran through the IV. PT coming later so I can get up and walk. On Dilauded and Tramadol my pain goes to 3-4 then 6-7 if I stand up to pivot over and use the commode and 9-10 with a lot of movement or sitting in a chair.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go home until they have got your oral pain relief, anti-nausea and anti-itch medications all sorted out. It sounds as if they're working towards that, but you aren't there yet.
 
My pain levels are the same as above... I got up with PT and walked to the door and back....10-15 steps total. It wasn't really walking since I was using my forearms to bear most of the weight on the Walker. I walked on my non-surgical knee and just barely touched my toes on the ground on my surgical knee. The PT said at this point after the TKR I was walking better and had already gone up and down stairs. She didn't say it to goad me on or anything negative as I asked her to look it up for me since I thought I was walking better back then on a TKR knee than this procedure.
My OS was in and told me he did a bunch of stuff in surgery as expected. Now we wait for cultures and time. Probably won't go home tomorrow but maybe Saturday... we'll see. He may switch my pain meds and that'll take a day or two of trials in the safety of the hospital since I'm either nauseated or actively vomiting all the time with the Dilauded and Zofran.
I have the typical lack of hunger but am making myself eat anyway. Now I need a visit from the sleep fairy. It's hard when someone is in here every hour with something for me or something to do to me. I've already had a new IV last night as the original wasn't working well. I generally need them changed every 24 hours or so as they blow.
 
@KarriB I don't have one as we don't know yet if I have an infection. My OS only likes to use them with a verified infection as they have their own set of problems that come along. Just have to wait and see...plus since all the frozen sections were negative an infection is less likely. I'll ask him tomorrow if this surgery doesn't fix me and there's no infection present should we put the new gold knee in to get rid of the nickel.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom