Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

The swelling is the answer. In addition when you look at the meter look at how little there is in between degrees plus it's very difficult to measure it yourself.
 
I agree that it's the swelling. Measuring myself may not be exact, but I know it's pretty darn close. I followed the instructions here, so it's as close as I can get it.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 
My surgery is next week and I'm almost ready. Right now my knee is crazy swollen, really painful and also discolored, as I've been cooking for days, making meals ahead. I have over a month's worth of meals in my freezers, and most of them are planned for dinner one night and leftovers the next. Hubby doesn't cook anything but pancakes and eggs, and I hate eggs, so, since I don't want fast food every meal, this is the best way to go. I'm beat; my knee is even more beat, but all meal prep is done except some chicken I'll make tomorrow after I spend today elevating and icing. I have a few more things on my to do list, then I'm ready....physically anyway....mentally I'm trying to distract my brain as much as possible since thinking about it gives me major willies.
 
Glad you updated, I knew your surgery was coming up soon. A month of eggs and pancakes, :sick: yuck! Glad you have everything in freezer for the next month. Play in the games room for distraction, this will be behind you soon.
In the meantime, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate as prescribed.
 
Thanks, Chris. I forgot about the games room-I've played a couple of times recently, but didn't really think about it. When I'm up at all hours this week, since I only sleep in fits and starts, I'll remember to head there. I am looking forward to hopefully having this resolved soon. It's frustrating to not really know going in what's going to be the end result, other than that I know about the surgery and that I'll be on IV antibiotics, but we really don't have enough info to know what the entire process will consist of. I'd rather know exactly what's ahead, but unfortunately can't. It's going to be a frustrating process, what with all the possible variables. My OS told me recently we'd both think positive thoughts, but it's really hard to do.
 
Wish I had a magic wand :heehee:. I will think positive thoughts so you don't have to work so hard at it.
 
Ugh....the nerves are really kicking in today. I have almost everything ready, so have more down time than I'd like. I left a few things to do on Monday-I'm hoping to stay so busy that I don't have time to think. I no longer have butterflies in my stomach; I've graduated to full fledged jumping beans and a kangaroo or two hopping around in there. Having had something like 14 or 15 surgeries in my past means I know pretty much what to expect with the recovery and that makes it even more nerve-wracking. Then, not knowing exactly what's going to happen in the end, whether I have an infection or not or will need a revision due to an infection or the nickel allergy, makes me even more anxious. I know it's normal, but it's still difficult. Now I'm thinking I should have taken a short trip this weekend to get my mind on something fun.....lol.
 
LOL, a weekend away sounds good, except I think your knee would protest. How about a virtual trip, anywhere you want, cost, just your imagination.
 
It hard enough when you know what is going to happen during a surgery. You have such a different number of things that you won't know until your surgery is over. You trust your OS and you have made your thoughts about everything known to him. You will finally have an answer to all your questions. Tuesday is my youngest 25th birthday and it was a very good date for me. I'm sure it will be for you too.
 
@Pumpkln You're right as usual....my knee would protest just being bent in the car for any length of time, so I'll have to come up with things to keep my mind sane this weekend. But I can't wait until my knee allows travel! I haven't even been to Reno or Tahoe in ages...and I used to go once or twice a month. But sitting in the car or at a poker table isn't feasible right now...sigh.

@newlybionic Happy birthday to your baby...(don't let him/her know I said that baby part-but they are always our babies, aren't they?) I may not know everything for around three weeks, or may know sooner...the cultures can take up to three weeks to grow if there is an infection. He is also going to send tissue to the pathologist-that may give us some clues pretty quickly, or may not. The only thing we know for sure right now is I am allergic to nickel and my knee is swollen and painful. I've also noticed a lot more popping than in the past-mostly when I move my knee sideways-but that may be normal.

The long wait to figure this all out has been really frustrating so I'm hoping to get answers this time. The surgery last October seemed at first to have helped; at the two week post-op visit the swelling was basically gone and I was feeling better. But by the six week check-up the swelling was back with a vengeance, my knee was painful and I was limping a lot. (Granted, I was still on some pain meds at the two week visit from the knee procedure and the carpal tunnel release, so it may have still been painful from more than just the surgery) I'm afraid to even hope this time we'll get answers, even though I know being positive is better than being negative. I'm not actually negative, I think I'm just a realist, or maybe I'm really from Missouri.....:heehee:
 
Hi. Would someone please change my thread title for me to..........
lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery. Thanks!
 
Since I have almost everything done in preparation for my surgery, except a few things I purposely left for Monday, I've been trying to find things to do to keep my mind busy....lol. So today I decided to add to the food in my freezers again and made ham and cheese breakfast muffins. These are perfect for when your appetite isn't there, but you need to eat something before taking pills. Then I decided to make an inventory of all the meals I have in my freezers for my hubby to be able to see. I made organized lists for the door of each freezer and as he uses the food he can change the amount left or cross them out entirely. I always know what's in my freezers as I'm one of those anal people who have to have everything organized; but he's kind of clueless when it comes to food, so this'll help him tremendously.
I have about 5 weeks worth of dinners made and ready to go now. Last time, I wasn't this prepared, so we ate some homemade meals, some fast foods, some store bought meals, etc. Neither of us wanted to eat fast food or pre-packaged store meals again, so I made sure to have lots of homemade foods ready this time. Now I just need to fill my day tomorrow, and then I only have to get through Monday. My stomach keeps doing flips whenever I think about Tuesday, so I'm trying to avoid thinking.
 
All the very best for Tuesday, hoping and praying everything goes well for you. You sound very well prepared, that does lessen the stress some.
I made pecan cookies the day before my surgery for the nurses and theatre staff and they went down well.
Keep us posted on your progress when you are able to.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I only wish I was so organized! You've thought of everything. I'm sure your husband feels happy that it is much easier for him to get the meals together for both of you. Good luck with your surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom