Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

I know it is hard to make the decisions when the absolute is not available. I did that in December when I chose to go the conservative route and just do the wash out. Now I am going through the revision which is OK. I figured there was a 50/50 chance and I am better prepared mentally for it now:) I will keep my fingers crossed for you also.
 
Just because you had a terrible recovery from your TKR it doesn't mean the same thing would happen if or when you might need a revision. My revision has been a thousand times better because I know that some pain meds make me sick and I take an anti nausea medication routinely with any narcotic. I also found that aspirin twice a day added to that so I'm on a blood thinner this time around. I also have allergies to several antibiotics but there are other ones that can be prescribed. I too would be worried with the 'what ifs' but you have a plan to take it one step at a time. You can get through this. Look at how much you've been able to handle so far. We will all be with you too so you have people who understand what you are facing.
 
Thank-you, @newlybionic I, too, take an anti-nausea pill every time I take a Dilaudid. My OS mentioned a new pain medicine that I agreed to try this time. We'll do it in the safety of the hospital so if it doesn't work at all, or makes me ill, we'll be able to take care of it right away. I've had terrible recoveries more than once with big surgeries, so I am naturally very worried and stressed. I know I'll get through it, I'm just worried about going through it. I also know there are many here who will help me by listening and giving advice; they got me through the TKR and I know will be here for me again and am very grateful for each and every one of them.
 
Another night of tossing and turning trying to find a place that's comfortable enough on my knee to allow me to sleep. I'm on the verge of tears right now due to total frustration. I'm lying here at 2:30 am reading some threads to distract me, but can't really stop thinking about this dang knee, the upcoming surgery and the recovery I'm dreading. I know I slightly overdid it today (actually yesterday now) with trying to finish my granddaughter's quilt before my surgery. The good news is all I have left to do is the binding. But sitting and sewing as much as I did was not good for my knee; then add on making dinner, normal daily tasks, etc, and I became an honorary member of the ODIC. I'm going to try to avoid that club from now on-it's no fun!

I also have a deep urge to stretch my knee and bend it thoroughly for some reason. It won't cooperate, but the urge is there nevertheless. I really, really need a solid block of sleep, but don't get more than a couple of hours at a time anymore. I don't know why all this knee stuff is closing in on me lately, I just know that it is really getting to me in a big hurry, and I don't like it at all. Hopefully I'll be able to find a position soon that doesn't hurt and get some sleep.
 
It sounds like you need a hug! :friends:

I'm sorry your knee is so sore and you're not sleeping. All the pain and anxiety have worn you down, you poor thing. You deserve a break but, for now, I'll just wish you a few hours of restful sleep. :sleeep:

I agree with Marian (newlybionic). Having a bad time with your original TKR doesn't mean that you are bound to have a bad time again with the revision. My revision was easier to recover from than the original surgery was.

This time, everyone will be better prepared. Make sure that you discuss your problems with pain medications with your doctors before the surgery and tell them that you expect to have your pain better controlled this time.
Ask about ice packs - if necessary, ask your husband to bring in your own, ready-frozen.
Avoid that incompetent nursing home, especially the nurse that hurt your leg with the wheelchair.

My mother used to tell me this when I got upset in the evening or night-time: "Things will look better in the morning." Often, they did, so I hope it's true for you, too.
 
Thank-you so much, Celle. Good suggestions. My new OS doesn't believe in nursing homes, so no worries there. We've discussed pain control at length, so maybe it'll be better this time. :fingersx: My hospital has really nice ice packs, it was the SNF that had awful ones. I know this recovery doesn't necessarily need to be as awful as the past ones, I keep telling myself that, now if I could just convince myself of it! I hope things look better in the morning-right now sleep would be wonderful!
 
Hi...sorry I just saw your question about the wash out. I did have all the plastics replaced but they also tried to reattach the tendon at the same time. I don't think the recovery was as intense as when I had the TKR.

PS good game tonight Diamondbacks & SF :)
 
Thanks, @PegGar16 Do you remember any details, like how bad was the pain, how many days in the hospital, how long before you were walking, did you need to do a lot of icing and elevating, etc? I'm kind of petrified of the recovery and think I'll do better if I have a clue what I might expect in general. I know everyone's different, but it'd help me if I know some of what others have gone through with this procedure. I also have a small chance of it working and am willing to take the chance so if it does work, I can avoid a revision, but if not, I'll do what needs to be done. Thank-you!
 
Well, I just found out from my OS this morning that my insurance now provides an ice machine for me. He said it took them a long time to get them included, but they are now covered. I don't know if it's given to me or if they rent one for me, but either way, I'll try it and see how I like it. I won't use ice cubes in it; instead I'll use frozen water bottles since I don't want to deal with ice cubes-either buying bags or letting my ice maker try to keep up. I'm pretty sure it'll be an electric one, but don't know the details. I really hope it is an electric one as I know I won't want to keep circulating the water myself. I'm hoping I'll like it more than ice packs. I went back and forth about buying one, then decided to make ice packs myself again, but now I'll try the machine and see if I like it.
 
I also had a real conversation via e-mail with my OS the other day. (usually if I email him it takes a while for him to get back to me-this time I guess I caught him with some rare spare time and we actually emailed back and forth for a while) Anyway, we talked about the possibility that the infection I got from some dental work that invaded my entire body and about did me in, was still lingering in my knee and causing the problem. He said it's possible, but I suspect it's a small possibility. The end result is that if that's what's in there, he's doing a two-stage revision...period. Ugh. From what he's said to me I know he really wants to do a revision if there's any infection and I have almost come around to going along with his recommendation, albeit kicking and screaming the whole way. But we're both hoping there's no infection and this procedure magically fixes the problem.
 
Half way through my recovery we had the idea to use frozen water bottles instead of ice. It stayed cold longer with the frozen water bottles. I also had a few ice packs also for when I didn't want to fuss with the ice machine.
 
Hello! I had 2 different procedures with the clean out, They originally went in to remove/drain a bursa on a Monday. They found the knee infected, set me up with ID, started the Vanco. On Thursday they did the wash out and poly exchange and I went home on Friday. I think the length of stay was affected more with making sure I was on the right antibiotics and with no problems (I have a history of allergic reactions to antibiotics). I remember the the pain was a lot less than the TKR. The ice machine is great (and electric). I also used small frozen water bottles instead of ice. They would keep cold for hours.

I am glad you are communicating so well with your OS. It is important that you have faith in him and if the revision happens there was nothing else he could do. With everything that has happened with me there is such a team approach which I love. For every appointment both the OS & ID are there no matter whose office I am being seen in. I swap back and forth between the 2 clinics weekly. My ID called yesterday to check up on how I am feeling and mentioned that she had been discussing me with the OS. I told her that the seepage had finally stopped and she was very excited! Was going to let my OS know:) When my husband was in the hospital I was having a lot of fluid draining and pain because I was on it so much. My OS contacted the weekend on-call Doctor to let him know I may be coming through the ER if it got worse. He in turn found me in the hallway leaving my husband's room and discussed what was going on with me. I feel these people have gone above and beyond and am so grateful

Sorry so long winded, :).
 
The frozen water bottles work well. I also have a couple of those frozen blocks that go in coolers and I use then and a few ice cubes and the Maxine stays cold for almost 12 hours.

I'm glad you were able to have some good communication with your OS so you both understand what the other one is thinking. I will keep you in my prayers that they find no infection.
 
@KarriB I made a bunch of ice packs last weekend, so will also have them handy. I'm going to buy a case of those water bottles (24 pack) and pop them all in the freezer (after draining off a little water from each if necessary).

@PegGar16 Thank-you! Don't be sorry for a long post-it's exactly what I asked for, and long posts never bother me anyway. I have a sinking feeling that I'm in for a longer time and bigger deal than just a clean-out. I know my OS really thinks there's a low-grade or late onset infection in there-I'm hoping he's wrong....lol. But my gut says don't be surprised. There's an area on my knee that is now looking darker than usual where some of the swelling is-I'm hoping it doesn't stay that way.
 
@newlybionic Thank-you! I can always use good thoughts and prayers. My surgery is just over three weeks away now and the nerves are kicking in BIG time. I remember they always have to medicate me in the room I'm in before they wheel me into surgery due to my body shaking like crazy and my stress level going through the roof. I have low blood pressure but in that room it skyrockets.....lol. Just the smell of the hospital gets me stressed. I know-I'm a big baby..........
 
@lovetocookandsew I had never had surgery before my TKR. Thankfully I was the first surgery of the day. When the nurse took me back to pre-op they put me in a room and would come in every few minutes with new instructions. Well, I was so nervous that in between the nurse's visit I would sing (I thought softly) Great is Thy Faithfulness. I guess my singing was heard and the nurses went out to get my BFF who had driven me, they thought I was having a nervous breakdown!

Fast forward to emergency surgery for the infection, everyone was in pre-op! My parents, sister, friends and I was meeting the new OS for the first time. I was too sick at that point to be nervous.
 
@PegGar16 I was so pleased with the way my ID and OS worked together as well. I couldn't have recovered as well without both of them. They saw me so often, checking on x-rays, labs etc. I hope you're able to rest a bit soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom