Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

@KarriB hahaha....nervous breakdown for singing....:rotfl: I'm afraid if I started singing I'd clear the entire area......lol. My labs the other day were all in the normal range except the basophils-that one was a bit high but I have no idea what it means or if it means anything. I have my pre-op app't Tuesday so I'm sure I'll find out. I still don't have an ID doc since we still don't know if it is an infection or not. But I remember when I had the dental infection a few years back, I had more specialists than I've ever seen before in and out of my room all day and night. They were constantly checking on me, talking with one another to figure it all out, plus after I went home they all called me many times to check on me, so I know what you mean about recovering better with all the care.
 
I had a serious dental infection a year before my TKR infection. I had a cracked a tooth without knowing it, it became infected and spread all the way to my jawbone. I had no idea until a piece of the tooth broke off, the dentist was surprised I hadn't felt more pain. The dentist or oral surgeon did give me an antibiotic, but of course I wonder if that was how my knee became infected. I go over different scenarios in my mind often.
 
I truly understand your nervousness kicking into overdrive. I'm a nurse, worked in hospitals and had other surgeries and my anxiety was going through the roof prior to my revision surgery. My normal blood pressure was sky high so much so they were considering putting me on meds for it. With the prayers of all my friends here praying for me I have had such an amazing recovery. We are all here with you now. Im praying that these three weeks go swiftly and you are on a smooth path to recovery from here on out. I'm praying for you.
 
Now that I have lots and lots of time on my hands, I was able to get caught up on your whole thread. I can completely understand why you're nervous. You've been through a lot! We're all here sending our very best to you.

I'm glad you're getting an ice machine, I don't know what I'd do without one. I used it on my first knee for over three months, and now it's attached to my left leg unless I need to get up. It's the only thing that gives me nearly complete pain relief. I use a combo of water bottles and ice, and it keeps the water very cold through the night.

Hugs.
 
@KarriB I actually got my dental infection after the oral surgeon pulled a tooth. It spread throughout my entire body, my CRPs and ESRs were through the roof and I was in the hospital for about a week, then had to take oral antibiotics for a long time after that. I almost had to have my spine surgeon go back in and clean out that area as the infection got in there, but luckily that cleared up enough so we could avoid that nightmare. But I did have to have my OS (who is my current one, but not the one who did my TKR-long story) go into my ankle and clean out the infection that also settled there, plus ate away some of the insides. It was also in my back and a couple other places. It was a total nightmare, but between the ID docs, and numerous other specialists, it got well taken care of.

@newlybionic Thank-you so much! I appreciate the prayers and concern so much. I hope these weeks that are left fly by and I can't wait to get this all behind me.

@swmrgirl Thank-you so much for your care! I'll try the machine and who knows-maybe I'll like it more than the ice packs.
 
I used my ice machine a lot, but just threw it out this winter. I thought about keeping it for my left knee, then I thought about the infection...out it went.

My dental infection was nothing compared to yours. :eeeuw:
 
Just out of curiosity....how much popping is normal at this stage? My knee seems to pop a lot, but maybe it's normal. It pops especially when I move it sideways such as when lying down and I turn sideways to get up or similar side movements. Sometimes it's just annoying, but at other times the popping hurts like the dickens.
 
i still had popping all before the revision and now afterwards too but no real pain with it. From what I've read some people have it all the time. I'm sorry that you are still have pain with it.
 
Well, I checked off another thing on my "to do before surgery" list. I finished my granddaughter's quilt! :happydance::egypdance::spin:It took a lot longer than it should have, mainly due to the fact that I can't sew for long before my knee begins to swell and hurt. That was so discouraging that it made it even harder to go in and sew. But, it's finished and I think she'll love it. Now to finish all the meals I plan to pop into the freezer for after the surgery as my husband is helpless in the kitchen, other than to mess it up.....lol.
 
Wow-I sure would like these if they ever become available! Crutches and I are currently sworn enemies, but they are necessary at times.
 
Those crutches look pretty fancy.
Here in New Zealand, we tend not to use the underarm crutches any more, because of the danger of causing nerve damage:
Crutches - warning on use of armpit crutches

Instead, we use the forearm/elbow crutches, like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery
 
I've seen that type a lot here-but the difference in these new ones, as far as I can see, is you rest your forearms on them, and can have your hands free if needed. Plus, I like the springy look of the bottoms.
 
I had my pre-op appointment today. All is well and I'm ready to have the surgery...well, medically I'm ready...mentally I'm dreading it...lol.
 
Another thing checked off my to-do-before-surgery list! :yay: I made three ice pack covers today. I made them with flannel on one side and fleece on the other. I used velcro on the open side so the ice pack will stay in. I also made one generic strap to hold them in place, especially at night, with velcro on the ends. Easy and basic with nothing fancy about them. It took about 2 hours to make all three plus the strap. Now I'm going to go get an ice pack from my freezer and see how they work since my knee is swollen and pretty sore after sewing. I may not even use ice packs, or I may use them occasionally, depending on how I like the ice machine, but I'd rather have them and not need them, etc.
 
I made ice packs for my dad when he broke his hip and had a replacement in November. He loved them for his hip.
 
I use both the ice packs and my ice machine. I use the packs when i only had a short period of time to ice my knee or when I was going somewhere I took it with me. I set up my ice machine for overnights and whenever I plan to use it for longer periods of time.
 
Good idea, @newlybionic
@KarriB Good job! I'll bet your dad was very grateful. I made something like 8 or 9 ice packs a couple of weekends ago (I forget exactly how many and am too lazy right now to go to my freezer and count them...lol) I made some long ones that go around my knee totally and a few that will just sit on my knee. After my TKR, I seemed to run out often as they took a while to re-freeze, so this time I'm covered between the ice packs and the machine.
 
For some reason, my left ankle has been really painful for the last few days. I didn't think much of it and figured it would go away. Today I noticed it's swelling, and unless I have some Motrin on board, I can barely walk on it or move it without pain. If it doesn't feel better by Monday, I'm going to e-mail my OS about it. Luckily, he's the one who operated on it previously and so he's the best one to ask about it. I didn't bang it, nothing bit it, it just started to hurt and has steadily gotten worse. But I need to make sure whatever it is it is gone by my surgery date. It never ends.............:blackcloud:Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a problem with my ankle post op. I never had surgery on that ankle but I have had major sprains to it several times. Mine cleared up once I was able to walk correctly and it adjusted to my new gait. Hopefully there's nothing else wrong with yours that requires any other intervention then having your knee fixed.
 
Ok, this really bites. I haven't had my ROM checked in a very long time. I believe the last time was about a month or so after the TKR when I still had in home PT, as I skipped the outpatient PT-only went once and quit going, and I don't remember if he measured it or not at that time. I decided to check it now, before my upcoming surgery, to see where I am and where I get after the surgery and recovery, so bought a goniometer. I was shocked to find out my extension is 5 and my flex is 100! It was a lot better the last time it was checked. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think my extension was about 1 and my flex was somewhere around 125. I could be wrong, but I do know this is not very good. I know I have a lot of swelling and that's likely the reason, but it's still discouraging.
 
Back
Top Bottom