Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Another thing to consider is forefoot strike which has zero impact. broken link removed: https://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
 
Thank you - that is really interesting - I will try to stay on my toes! I think I naturally run (not that I've done it for a while) with a heel strike.

I have a bit of reading (and saving) to do but looking forward to getting fit.

Shortie xx
 
Hi Shortie, I was unfamiliar with your story so I just skimmed thru your thread to catch up. I'm glad your revision was successful. What a great outcome!

I, too, have been very busy what with work, my youngest child's sports, and the normal demands of life. I am not where I would like to be with fitness, either, however involved parenthood- cheering teens as they run tracks and race bikes- has probably saved me from over-doing my knee during the early crucial recovery period. I'm guessing similar for you.

My son's sports are finished for now and I am also looking forward to getting back in shape and keeping it fun. I love the outdoors and fresh air whenever possible, but some gym work is good.

I'm not sure how you feel about free weights and machines, but take note that even a short weight-lifting session will raise your metabolism (continue to burn calories) long after you've finished your workout. As in ALL DAY!!!

My plan, therefore, is to mix it up with weights and then alternate hiking, swimming, and biking. And make healthy meal choices, of course. My other knee is deteriorating, but oh well genetics. I hope to replace it next year.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress, please.
 
Shorty, when I am in the pool, I wear a bouancy belt and "run" in the deep end. I can do short strides, long strides, etc. I am quite out of breath after half an hour in the pool---I learned how to do it from a running website!! Perhaps it will help.
 
OMG I AM SOOOOO NAUGHTY! But all for a good cause - I have bought a Zero Runer I am so excited - running!!!!

Not sure on delivery date yet but will try to keep you all updated on how it is for me, my knee, my health / fitness and my weight loss.

Thank you everyone x

Shortie xx
 
I think it's great you're getting one. Looking forward to see how you get on. So excited for you. Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Thanks everyone I've just got to wait for delivery (I hate waiting! Lol)

@Pumpkln yes there is a free app which connects to the machine and tells you all sorts including stride pattern and workouts - it also has some instructional videos on the cross training exercises.

I can't wait

Shortie xx
 
I am so glad that you were able to get one. We want A real report since others will ask us about it too!!
 
So I am VERY excited to say that this is my first report on my new Zero Runner

Before knee problems I used to run 30 to 50 miles a week (this wasn't the cause of my knee problems they were due to an injury when I was 14) the last time I ran was October 2011.

Being told I was never allowed to run or do high impact exercise was a bit depressing as although I have a bike the type of exercise for me is just not the same. So nearly 4 years after I last ran and *whispers* 5 stone heavier I was delighted when @Pumpkln told me that @RunA42K was using something called a Zerorunner. Well I googled it and thought that it may not be available in the UK but it was it is a heafty price BUT with interest free credit (well I am investing in my health and future) I bought one!!

So what is a ZeroRunner it is made by Octane and is sort of like an elliptical machine except you control the pace the stride the heel pick up everything - it is like being strapped into bionic legs which you control - and it has NO IMPACT!

For those that haven't seen it you can find it here https://www.octanefitness.com/home/products/zero-runner/zr7/

What really sold it to me was the look on a mans face on a YouTube video about it (I know it was a promo but he was so amazed at being able to run with no pain)

After putting it together and having a little go just to see how it works - it does take a bit of getting used to (3 mins tops) I got kitted up for a run (it didn't look pretty) and decided that I would have a go at the Runners world beginners schedule (this is what I used to start running before) so run for 1 minute, walk for 90 seconds and repeat these 8 times. So how did I get on?

Total time 20 minutes (I completed the schedule ) total run time 8 minutes, total distance 1.57 mile.

Now the important question - how was my knee??

I took no notice of my knee because I am so unfit and was counting down the seconds to the minute every time!! No issues with my knee at all. No pain at all, no pain in my knee since my run (OMG I WENT FOR A RUN!) both of my legs muscles know they have exercised though! I will keep an honest and full update of how I get on over the next few weeks for everyone else to have some feedback on this.

It was amazing - and yes I go that sweat inducing endorphine producing exercise I have been yearning for!

I will fill you all in in a few days with how I'm getting on.

Shortie xx
 
Shortie,
Great update on the ZeroRunner, the beginner program sounds gentle. Happy to read your knee was great, now to get the rest of you in shape.
Looking forward to your next update
 
So report on run 2!

I made sure I left a day between exercising as the runners world beginners schedule suggests at least 36 hours between runs even though I was really itching to get back on my ZeroRunner yesterday but I was a good girl and waited (not like me I know )

Same routine as before run for 1 min walk 90 seconds repeat 8 times.

I did have some discomfort but only in my quads and glutes which have been dormant for 3 years. Knee was good though (not perfect but then it hasn't been perfect for a long time and will never be like a native knee) - and I even felt that I am getting into a better running rhythm already still had to count down the seconds for each running minute due to lack of fitness and I do go a lovely beetroot colour!

Shortie xx
 
Run 3 - Runners world Beginners schedule. Run 1 min walk 90 seconds - repeat 8 times.

Knee still good, other places (thighs, glutes) still not sure what's hit them still unfit! But all good.

Shortie x
 
Shortie,
Thanks for the great update, hope your thighs, glutes etc catch up with the rest of you soon.
:walking:
 
Week 1 'run' 4 on my ZeroRunner.

Despite spending the last two days movin office from one end of the hospital to the other I still managed a run on my ZeroRuunner. Last one of 1 min run 90 seconds walk x8.

I feel already I am getting slightly fitter - I will see on my next run - onto Week 2 - run 2 mins walk 1 min x7.

Knee is still good and no complaints from it so far - fingers crossed it will continue!

Shortie x
 
Thanks Shortie,
Happy that the zero runner is working so well for you!
 
That is so interesting! off to google the zero runner - thank you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom