Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Shortie,
Good to hear from you, glad you are doing so much better than before your revision. Mines not 100% so you are not alone, but much better is worth it.
Sorry to hear your son has been through so much at his young age, I assume he is well on his way to recovery. There is now an Other Joints forum where you can find others with similar challenges, if you have any questions about his ankle surgeries.
Hope your remodel is done soon and you can get back on your zero runner!
 
Shortie, my non tkr knee is also playing up, some days worse than others, and I'm not ready yet to have it replaced. I have been having acupuncture from my GP and, whether psychological or not, it seems to be helping!
 
Hello Everyone!

Ive not been here for a while - I hope you all are OK x

Well my rollercoaster ride continues!

So after everything that has happened my non TKR knee continues to be naughty, I'm getting unfitter and feeling old and lots of other bits are painful - shoulders, elbows, thumbs, feet and I'm exhausted - not just tired but way past tired. OK I think I'm being pathetic, I am so unfit and fat and I have teenagers who seem to exhaust me.

So I see the Occupational health physio at work about my knee - she tries strapping it but gives me no exercises what so ever - a physio with no exercise regime - odd. She suggests I have a blood test Vitamin D, inflammatory markers.

So I have bloods - Well CRP and ESR are elevated not massively but about the same as they were before my revision which worried OS that knee may be infected (swabs at arthroscopy proved no infection) anyway also had a Rheumatoid Factor - result is 436 - what's normal I ask? 0-14 is the reply!

So Rheumatology referral and after examination and more bloods I am diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis!

So Rollercoaster time again - start on DMARDS Hydroxychlorquine and Methotrexate (and folic acid to help with side affects).

So this explains the exhaustion (so I'm not just fat and unfit - but do need to address this) and pain - just waiting the 6-12 weeks for the meds to kick in on symptoms - side affects have kicked in well, I feel a bit pants and still have no energy, still can't think properly bit fed up but hopeful that now I have this diagnosis the meds will help and I am hoping that I can have a pain fee day soon (not had one of those since Jan 2012 at least)

Any BoneSmarties out there who have been diagnosed with RA after TKR? Any advice?


Shortie xx
 
I'm sorry to hear you have been diagnosed with RA. Hopefully the meds will start working soon and you finally start to feel better.
 
Shortie, want me to change the title of your thread to something with RA in it? I am sorry for that diagnosis--although I have had several friends get that diagnosis later in life and they seem to bounce back once the meds get set. It will probably be better than the so tired you cannot cope feeling!

This growing old stuff is not for sissies!!
 
I had both knees replaced and have had problems with the 3 year old one....I'm waiting to get the spacer replaced with a thicker one. I was recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (similar to rheumatoid) and take methotrexate and started Remicade. I have been thinking recently how much better my "bad" knee is lately. It still gives out but doesn't hurt nearly as much. I also had to stop using Celecoxib so that's pretty amazing. I'm cautiously optimistic that treating the inflammatory arthritis will result in more functional knees. I hope it works that way for you too!
 
Thank you all.

I will have a look at the RA thread thanks @Pumpkln

Yes please @skigirl a change of name for the thread is probably a good idea - I really thought that after TKR and revision my life could start but with RA thrown in at 45 I'm not in the best place at the moment - but that is probably the fatigue talking - just hope meds kick in soon xx

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie, just chiming in here. I see you have had a time of it. And now RA thrown in the mix is exactly how I felt when I was first diagnosed about 17 years ago. It is a battle, but hopefully the meds will kick in and work and you will start to feel better. Sometimes it takes about 6 weeks to 2 months or longer to feel better. If you can during the day try to take a nap. Also know that sometimes the meds work and then out of the blue they may stop working and your Rheumatologist may have to change your medications around. I have been on so many different meds at this point that I have been through most of the DMards and biologics because after awhile they stop working for me. Hopefully you will have an easier time of it and the meds will do you well and help you with the fatigue. My prayers nd thoughts are with you as you go through this trying time. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Thank you @chestnc RA certainly is a massive spanner in the works!
I am currently at week 13 of treatment and still no relief! On Hydroxychlorquine Methotrexate oral prednisolone had 2 x steroid injections, folic acid, calcium &a vitamin D for the RA.
My rheumatology nurse says she thinks I am a good candidate for biologics but I need to have tried Hydroxychlorquine and Methotrexate for 6 months first according to NICE guidelines. In the meantime I battle everyday with pain (shoulders, elbows, wrists, hands and both knees)
Although not sure if I was glad or not but a few days ago my TKR knee swelled up a lot one evening - I couldn't decide if it was infected TKR, a DVT, the rheumatoid, or septic arthritis so I went to bed anyway! In the morning the other one had swelled to match it so I was (I think) relieved that it was "only the RA!"
Anyway I will keep battling on with the occasional sleep added in!

I hope everyone else is doing well and is happy.

Shortie x
 
Shortie,
Good to see you again, so sorry to hear of all the problems with RA. I hope the 6 months are over soon and you can try the biologics ASAP.
Let us know how the biologics work whenever you able to start them.
 
Hi Everyone - I hope everyone is doing well

I have had 26 weeks of Methotrexate, Hydroxychlorquine and steroids with no response to my painful and swollen knees, shoulders, elbows and hands (my OH says holding my hand is like holding a bag of marshmallows- so romantic ) and have finally been approved funding so should be starting Humira in the next week or so - I have heard great things about these drugs so trying to stay positive and looking forward to the future

Shortie x
 
Hello Everyone,

I hope you are all OK.
Today my revised knee is 3 years old. I thought I would have a "knees up" to celebrate! :rotfl::rofsign:

My Humira seems to be really helping but still on steroids just can't seem to manage without them yet - this Rheumatoid lark is no fun but I think I am getting there (although no one can tell me where my 'there' will be). Life is getting better - I hope it stays.

Shortie xx
 
Shortie,
Good to hear from you, hopefully you are on your way with RA and things continue to improve.
:friends:
 
Happy knee-versary! I'm glad the humira is helping & wishing you good luck w/ getting off the steroids.
 
Hi @Shortie
I have just finished reading your thread. Have been glued to it all day. I have returned to Bonesmart once again as I am struggling still with my left knee. I cannot believe all you have been through , yet for the most part you remained so positive and strong. I hope your RA is managed now and life has improved and is looking up for you once again. I will be around on BoneSmart for the near future as I embark on a new knee journey so I’ll be sure to check your posts from time to time. Shelli


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @shelli22 so sorry you are still struggling with your knee, I hope you are sorted as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Thank you for your kind words.

Unfortunately I am yet to find a RA treatment that works yet but last week I started a new treatment a Ritixumab infusion, I have another one next week and am hopeful that this one will be the one that works.

Yes RA and my knee journey is rough as my GP said but in some ways it makes me take opportunities that I might otherwise pass up as it I think you have to have a do it while you can attitude - and I’m stubborn!

I’m not saying I don’t have some days where I get cross and a bit peeved with myself at what I can (or can’t do) and have a person but there are some things you have to laugh at like asking OH to put my bra ON in the mornings - it really isn’t romantic (although I do have front fastening ones now) and I do think you have to keep pushing a bit. I use the analogy that if you never try to make it up stairs you will always be starting from the bottom, at least if you have made it up (or some of the way up) you are nearer the top when you are ready to give it another go!

Like work several people have asked if I should cut my hours but if I do that now I will always be starting from less hours (that’s why I also decided to bite the bullet and start my Masters degree too (part time over 3years - while working full time!) because if I didn’t do it now I never would!

I do have to admit defeat sometimes and I do have to say no sometimes but as I say I am a bit (Ok very) stubbon and I am me! I am not my knee I am not my RA!

I am also very lucky to have amazing support from my family, friends, work colleagues, BoneSmarties and also NRAS forums, you are never alone (especially if you have internet access!)

Wishing you all the best for your journey.

Shortie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think with RA you learn to not give up but to pick your battles and sometimes just say no when you need to--and not feel guilty about it. Maybe that makes the long slog of TKR recovery a bit easier mentally for us.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom