Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

WARNING! If you google it you may want one! That's what happened to me!!! :heehee:
 
@pumpkin @Shortie - can the zero runner affect a PKR or TKR by increasing the wear and tear on the implant so it doesn't last as long? Or are the strengthening affects negating this? What are your thoughts?
 
Hi @Hopper - I did think about this and to be honest I am not 100% sure. However I do honestly feel that I do not put any extra / pressure work on it than when I am cycling and that as it is MY stride pattern it is more natural to me than cycling / ellipticals etc. as my legs can set how they work (I would love to say that my brain controls my form but I would be kidding myself). I still find that riding a bike puts pressure on my knee as I have to have the heel of my on the pedal on my TKR leg due to lack of bend (I'm at about 90) for that saddle to be at a reasonable height and if I try to put the ball of my foot on the pedal I wrench my knee.

I haven't done more than 20 minutes at a time on the ZeroRunner yet but I have had no ill feeling from my knee in that time which suggests to me it it not putting undue stress on it, however a brisk walk outside for the same distance / time my knee / leg does ache afterwards (probably due to my weight - see below!) I do know that fact that running will do more strides per minute (but not per mile) than walking but I am finding that the no impact on the ZeroRunner has been TOTALLY comfortable for my knee.

I am also looking at my overall health! Due to my past knee problems I have not done any 'proper' exercise for over 3 years I am currently 5 stone overweight and my BP is controlled by mess and by using the ZeroRunner I am hoping to lose most of that weight and be able to maintain a healthy BP without medication, which in turn will help my cardiovascular health and general fitness BUT also put less stress on my TKR and slightly dodgy 'good' knee which will in turn help both knees last longer as I believe obesity it a major factor on implant lifetime expectations!

This is all of my opinion only and has no scientific proof behind it - I will continue to report honestly on how I am getting on with the ZeroRunner

I hope that explains where I am at - it will be really interesting to see what others think.

Shortie x
 
I so understand how lovely it must feel to be running again and your thoughts about your overall fitness make perfect sense. I've put a few stone on too and I guess thats as wearing on my new knees as anything!
Please do let us know how it goes. Im fascinated. It looks like a lot of dosh for what it is but if it does the job its probably worth every penny!
Keep posting!
 
Quick Update - life and "running"

Life - I am soooooo busy today was the first time for a week I actually sat with my feet up for a couple of hours (it wouldn't have been so long if I hadn't dozed off!) I seem to be managing more and more just getting on with life with limited thoughts about my knee

Running - since getting my Zerorunner I have been on it every other day and today I just set the time for 30 mins to see how I went - it was a slowish continual jog with a short (1 - 2 min) walk at 14 mins and I did 2.25 miles, great workout - knee happy I am being good and only doing it every other day as I am am getting quite addicted and don't want to overdo it - slow and steady and all that (although my slow and steady is also very sweaty! - burn those calories!).

Shortie xx
 
Shortie,
Happy to hear the Zerorunner is working so well for you, and your knee likes it too.
Thanks for all the updates.
 
@Hopper ,
Just saw your post, the Zerorunner has just come out, theoretically it should be OK with TKR's. If you are interested you should check with your OS.
 
Hi Everyone,

A quick update - all is going well I have spent up to 35 minutes at a time on my zero runner 'running' up to 2.74 miles at a time. All is good with my knee - I'm not denying that it gets a bit achy when I've spent all day on it but everyday work, home, shopping etc. is all good and I'm no longer thinking about modifying my activity to suit my knee.

Shortie x
 
Shortie,
Thanks for the update on the Zero Runner, I am so happy it is working well for you.
 
Helloooooooo Everyone!

Well just a quick update - my revisions 1st Anniversary (12th August) was spent in Corsica - it was fantastic! it was very hilly where we were and tbh I did get quite an achy knee - but not my TKR one! I am ignoring that one for as long as I can!

I am still using my zero runner - not as often as I would like but that is more to do with actually physically being at home to use it than anything else my TKR knee has absolutely no problems with it and it is great to be active again.

I am still working full time as a research nurse - some people think we "just sit at a desk all day" but we have been using pedometers at work and regularly do between 6000 - 11000 steps per day so not exactly sedentary - not only that but I can still walk at the end of the day

I have had one scare when getting in the bath I slipped and over extended my knee - I really scared myself but after a couple of days of swelling it was all OK again - I am more careful now!

I still wouldn't say that my knee is as good as a good native knee but it is a million times better then how my knee was pre TKR / Revision I am glad I persevered to the revision it was really worth it.

Shortie x
 
Shortie,
Thanks for the great update, glad you are doing well and are back working and traveling. Good to know the ZeroRunner is working for you with no troubles for your revision knee.
That is a lot of walking you do at your sedentary job, :walking:.
 
Wow Shortie you're doing so well. Lovely update. It's is nice to read a positive turnout x

Take care love Nana moon 27 xx
 
@Shortie
Thank you for your recent updates.
It's wonderful to hear that you are doing so well now. :yes!::happydance::yay:

For you, having the revision was so obviously the right thing to do.
 
I just started watching some of you. Since I'm contemplating surgery. It looks like you had TKR in 2013, then a revision last summer. What the heck is a revision? So about 2 years from TKR to full use?
 
bigaz,
Welcome to Bonesmart, glad you decided to join us.
A revision is a second replacement in the same knee for various reasons.
Knee replacements last up to 20 to 30 years. Most people start to feel better at 3 months and can return to work, complete healing can take a year.
The most important factor is the skill of your surgeon, when interviewing surgeons, be sure they are doing 150 or more TKR's a year.
 
Hello Everyone!

Tomorrow my knee is two years old. This is my revision knee (the original one would have been 3.5!)

Honestly it's not perfect but then I wouldn't expect it to be perfect it has been through quite a lot! However my other knee the allegedly 'good' knee is very very naughty! I am trying to ignore it as life has been filled with my 13 year old son who has had to go through foot surgery on both feet (had one done in April and one in July) for bilateral calcaneonavicular tarsal coalition - which means his heel bone and navicular bone were fused in both feet causing severe pain, rigid flat foot and tight calf muscles. Seeing young people going through such a tough time puts my ability / lack of agility into perspective!

I STILL need to lose a whole lot of weight - why is losing it so difficult but putting it on so easy

My TKR knee is my better of the two but the other one is nowhere near bad enough for me to consider having anything done to it at the moment! Even if it is really painful, makes funny clicking noises that other people comment on and often keeps me awake / wakes me up at night! I did try injections which worked for a couple of weeks so really not worth it especially after being pain free going back to how it is seemed worse than just sticking with it!

I still try to sit with my legs up in the evening (if the kids actually let me sit down!) and some evenings I do get very jumpy legs but I think the ring leader in that is the non operated knee!

I am working full time and 'running' round after my kids I am averaging around 9000 steps a day so I am moving around a bit and leading a full life (still wish I could run though) Zero runner unfortunately in storage as we are having an extension built and had to move / store some stuff - I'm looking forward to getting it back

So two years on from my revision I still need to lose weight which I am sure would help me a lot but otherwise I believe that considering all my knee has been through especially the original TKR and its failure over the last 4 years is is just about as good as I can expect it to be

Shortie x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom