Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

Will what odd dreams I had last night! I was doing my usual tiny bit of sleep, then wake then doze etc. but I am obviously thinking about arthrocopy on Tuesday, sorting out the kids and that I am for logistical reasons going on the bus in the morning.

My Dream/s
So I was at work (I work in a hospital) and my boss says you can finish that and then go for your op, so I walk up to theatre and there are all sort odd odd folk there including one of my daughters dance friends mum! So I am all due to be operated on in a big communal operating theatre (my arthroscopy is going to be in a big hospital I don't really know) and I'm told that I'm not having my op there so I have to get on a bus but then it turns out my son is having an op but they say before they can do his knee his sturnum has to be mended (I broke my sturnum in 2012 when I fell over backwards with my son on my shoulders - he was fine I was a bit sore!) but then we are waiting to get off the bus then it's back to me having the op but it is a really small hospital

I think that was all of it as I say it was all in little bits but each bit I could see where it was coming from!

Anyway back to the real world I best get on and sort stuff out, you know the really exciting stuff like emptying the dishwasher and the ironing!

Have a good day everyone

Shortie x
 
Our brains are amazing the way they put things together into our dreams.
Next thing you will be dreaming of doing dishes and iorning.:heehee:
 
I have odd dreams too. I think some of it is the medications we are on. I can't manage the dishes and ironing amongst other things since they took my knee out. I need my crutches for balance.
 
@busylizzie my arthroscopy on Tuesday should tell if I need a 2 stage revision so I guess I should be really grateful that I can still do the ironing and things at the moment but......... I really hate housework with a vengeance! I am watching your thread very closely and wish you all the best for next week xx

Shortie x
 
@Shortie, I'm unfortunate that I can't stand for long or walk without crutches. I've read that some can and my consultant certainly thought I'd be able to fully weight bear on my left leg. Celle la vie, I've just had to accept it. Hopefully things will change after Monday. Good luck on Tuesday with your arthroscopy I'll be thinking about you then even if i can't post. Reception/ WIFI is very iffy at the hospital for the op.
 
Ok I admit it I'm worried! I'm having my arthroscopy tomorrow. I am NOT worried about the procedure at all but all the implications that go with the results.

I think I have become more worried since I worked a twilight shift on Saturday night (6pm - Mn) it was very busy and I was asked if I could stay on longer but I had to say no because my knee was so painful. When I got home I was in so much pain I took two 5mg oxynorm capsules I can only ever cope with 5mg normally but decided the pain was worse than the side effects would be, I went to bed about 1.30 am but was in so much pain (8-9/10) I finally dozed off at 7 am but by 8.30 I had to get up as I couldn't lay in bed any longer and spent the whole day yesterday cat napping and feeling pants!

So arthroscopy tomorrow which is only for biopsies so recovery back to how I am now (which isn't good) will only be about a week I have 2 weeks annual leave from work - I haven't taken it as sick pay as we work on a rolling year and if I have any time off sick before July 22nd I will not get any sick pay for another year!

So I am worried about I how I am going to work in the interim - I am praying occupational health can redeploy me but there are no guarantees.
I am daftly more worried about there being no infection as if there is no infection there are no answers and no plan.
I am also worried about if there is infection as it will be a two stage revision and I will have lots of practical logistic problems with kids life driving work sick pay etc. etc. etc!

I am really thinking about @busylizzie today as well as she goes for stage 2 of her revision x

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie,
Thinking of you this mornng and all our friends who are having surgery today, Wishing you all the best, and hope you have some answers soon, so no more what if's.:friends:
 
Well arthroscopy yesterday all went as expected pain today OK not much different to normal - the post arthroscopy physio leaflet made me laugh as it said make sore you can bend your knee to 90 degrees within 48 hours post op - lol haven't done that for months!

Now "just" a two week wait for results which I was expecting for microbiology. The wait it as usual is the worst bit but 2 weeks isn't long in the grand scheme of my knee.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Shortie x
 
Now "just" a two week wait for results
I know they were checking the cultures from my knee daily, so I imagine they want at least two weeks to see if anything grows. I agree the wait is the worst.
I am glad your pain in no worse, as for the leaflet 90 degees, :shrug:, I have no idea what they were thinking.
Hope you recover quickly from the arthroscopy, and have some answers soon as to what is going on in your knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhhhhh! I'm so tired, so fed up of waiting (I know since arthroscopy it has only been 3 days) I'm impatient I know but there are so many implications to life dependant on what the results are and I need to make decisions but can't cos I don't know.

There got my frustration out for today - lol I can get on now probably by having a rest, elevating and icing!

Thank you BoneSmart for giving me somewhere to vent it means so much - sorry too mostly moan lately I am hoping that I will in the next few weeks / months turn it round and have good news.

Have a good day everyone x

Shortie x
 
sorry too mostly moan
Feeling the same way, lots of moaning for me too. Helps to let it out posting, unfortunatly for cultures you have to wait for accurate results.
I have been reading about the new DNA testing for bacteria, etc they are doing. Sounds like in the future they will have results ASAP as those tests are refined and are faster. The days of waiting weeks for stuff to grow out will be the distant past.
 
Well arthroscopy yesterday

Hello Shortie, My TKR was a month before yours. I too am having problems and currently waiting for a second opinion. It may involve an arthroscopy. Could you tell me if its caused you much extra pain. Has it upset your knee particularly? Carol
 
Hi again. I have just done a quick read of your thread. You have been messed about so much its hard to work through it all. I notice you had a bone scan. I wasn't sure how that differed from an Xray. I've now googled it and think I understand. I am trying to prepare myself for when I get my second opinion. Any advice would be greatly received. Carol
 
Hi @patient 99 so sorry to hear that things aren't great for you either. Yes I have been messed around a lot but now I am with the new OS I have complete confidence in him which makes so much difference.

My arthroscopy was purely diagnostic with swabs and biopsies taken so as no actual work was done the pain has been much the same as before the arthroscopy however my pain over the last few weeks / months does get up to a 9 out of 10 on a regular basis - hence the investigations! The knee has been slightly more swollen since he arthroscopy so has felt tighter but my ROM (~70 pre arthroscopy) has remained the same. I was fully weight bearing after arthroscopy however I limp a lot anyway so again no different.

The bone scan is slightly controversial it is reported to be a good diagnostic tool for infection / loosening however around the 1 - 1.5 years after TKR I believe there is quite a lot of discussion as to a positive result just from the post op repair is of less diagnostic value than a completely negative result i.e. If it is negative then it can be said with great certainty nothing is wrong but a positive result could mean something wrong OR completely normal - I think this is right maybe @Josephine could explain it better (thank you x)

I hope this is all of help.

Shortie x
 
I hope this is all of help.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply especially when you are in the thick of it. I am now following your thread with interest. Please give us a blow by blow account as things develop.

Its a lucky dip I think. There is no obvious reason why I should have been one of the small percent that doesn't do well. I suspect the same for you. The blurb says TKR has a 97 per cent success rate or thereabouts. Logically some people have to make up the other 3 per cent ! Carol
 
If it is negative then it can be said with great certainty nothing is wrong but a positive result could mean something wrong OR completely normal
I would question the 'great certainty' as the only certainty with this is that neither positive nor negative tests can be that. Sorry. but that's the facts of it.
 
Thanks @Josephine for clarification.

Well I have appointment for 19th June to get results of arthrocopy swabs/ biopsy and hopefully a plan - it can't come soon enough I just need to know what's what so I can plan, work, kids, life etc.

*Note to self - please be patient it is only 9 days to wait (even if those 9 days seem forever!!)*

Shortie x
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom