Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

The waiting is the worst part. Fingers crossed for a good result. I am waiting for my microbiology results as well. They won't release me from hospital until the results are in.
 
Thanks @busylizzie - I hate not knowing - I can cope with stuff if I know what is what good or bad but just being in limbo is a nightmare - I am currently using my (nearly all used up) annual leave to be off as I have run out of sick pay until July, I possibly may be redeployed but that is dependant on results, I am supposed to be working a night shift on Monday - which I can't do, I can't get hold of my boss, I don't know it just to call it quits at work but then if I need a two stage revision I am stuffed big time for any income, I have to make some sort of plan before I get the results but what.....??

Do you know when your results are expected? I hope you get to escape ASAP! Nothing like being in your own bed doing things on your own timescale! How do you feel it is now? Does it feel very different to the temporary joint? I bet you are relieved that this bit is over and it is "just" recovery to complete. Sorry so many questions x

Shortie x
 
OMG what a relief I am entitled to some sick pay so having to make a rash / rushed decision have been averted it is such a relief for now - I probabally don't have enough to be off completely until knee is sorted one way or another but it gives me some breathing space to plan and prepare for whatever the results are next week.

There is hope all round - mostly thanks to all you Bonesmarties so :thankyou:

Shortie x
 
Hi Shortie, Having to worry about your job as well as the uncertainty with your knee is truly a double wammy. But before you know it the 9 waiting days will be up and hopefully you can get that plan in place. BTW what's a 2 stage revision? I know what a revision is, but don't know why it would need to be done in stages. Carol
 
Thanks @patient 99 . OK here goes as I understand it - A two stage revision is used when's joint is infected and as the infection can cause a biofilm around the joint which cannot be reached by oral or IV antibiotics, so the infected joint is completely removed and replaced with an antibiotic impregnated temporary joint (usually made out do bone cement) the patient is then given IV antibiotics for at least 6 weeks and the inflammatory markers etc. are checked again, if there is still signs of infection then antibiotics are continued / inflammatory markers etc. checked over and over until the OS is sure there is no infection remaining, it is only then that the new TKR is done. So 1st stage remove infected implant - antibiotic therapy - 2nd stage new implant put in. The middle stage can last anywhere from 6 weeks to 12 Months!

@busylizzie is going through the second stage at the moment and I believe had 27 weeks with a temporary implant between stages - I'm following her thread very closely (((((more hugs for @busylizzie )))))

I hope that all makes sense - I am having problems with thinking lately mostly due to the fact that my knee is so painful I can't get any sleep - finally dozed off at about 5am this morning and now been up since 7.20 to sort kids out for school! I will try to get more sleep in a bit! The weather is nice here today so I may even install myself on my lounger in the garden.

I hope the sun is shining wherever you all are today.

Shortie x
 
@Shortie, @patient 99, They didn't actually find an infection until the stage two operation, although they suspected one. The infection was found in the fluid around the spacer when they took the spacer out. I am waiting for a Hickman line to be inserted so I can go home and have oral and IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. It is a shame they found the infection at the same time as the new custom made implant was put in. I hope it won't be compromised. I have got a 45 degree bend and full straight leg lift. I am walking independently on 2 crutches and can fully weight bear now. I have actually walked round the bathroom without crutches yesterday.
 
A two stage revision is used when's joint is infected

Thanks for the information. You know I didn't think there could be anything worse than having to undergo a revision. Now I learn there is something called a 2 stage revision and @busylizzie is coping with it as I write. If there can be a bright side to any of this it has to be just how resilient our knees are. If I am reading busylizzie's footer correctly she has had a TKR (2011) a revision (2012) and a 2 stage revision (2013 and 2014). I'm assuming this was all on the left knee. Words fail me.

Shortie, one day less now. Only 8 more to go. Make sure you have all your questions written down so you don't forget anything. If the question of an MRI scan arises, it would be useful to know if the metal in the knee would distort the images so much that they would be useless. Carol
 
If the question of an MRI scan arises, it would be useful to know if the metal in the knee would distort the images so much that they would be useless.
Carol, they can adjust the MRI settings so that the images are readable.
 
they can adjust the MRI settings so that the images are readable.

Hi Chris, So I have been told. But there seems to be some confusion. If the scan is on a part of the body(say the shoulder) that does not have any metal bits, then I believe that having metal somewhere else in the body(like the knee) is not a problem. But what if the area needing examination is the bit with the metal. Can the settings be adjusted sufficiently then? I have been told, in that instance, even with the settings adjusted the images are so distorted they are useless.

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but I want to find out. I think I will phone the hospital MRI section tomorrow and ask. Carol
 
Oh sleep gods pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease make me fall asleep quickly and stay asleep for ages - it MUST be my turn!!!!

Night night everyone - hoping for a good nights sleep for me and everyone else who finds sleep sooooooo elusive.

Shortie x
 
Sleep - has been SLIGHTLY better - still get up when I can't bear being in bed any longer! I still wake up when I move but I am in slightly less pain during the night - my GP prescribed me some OxyContin last week which is a modified release Oxycodone and it is making a little difference - I am then topping up with oxynorm / paracetamol / naproxen choosing the most appropriate depending on what I am doing - I feel a bit too woozy on regular oxynorm to drive so have to go with the others even though they don't have the same effect. I'm not sure I am on the right dose of OxyContin but will give it another few days and then talk to my GP again about dosing.

We did have a day out at a national trust property yesterday which was lovely (but painful) and I have done what I didn't want to do before any further treatment but I (quite sensibly for me) conceded to do what was best and I took a crutch with me and used it all day - I really wouldn't have managed without it. I have noticed that when I am out and about I am doing more and more "furniture walking" i.e. I am using more and more objects to support / steady me.

I only have 3 more days to wait until I get some results. I don't want it to be infected but if it is it gives me definitive answers and definitive treatment plan. If it isn't infected - who knows?? (Hopefully OS will have some ideas!!) so it's COUNTDOWN until Thursday - I just hope I don't self combust in the meantime - I'm not good at patience and waiting!!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Shortie x
 
It is getting closer now, as the grandchildren would say just 3 more sleeps. Finger's crossed for some good news
 
Yes @patient 99 I am at the point of just wanting something to happen - I really have nearly had enough now, at the moment I am going backwards, i.e. Increased pain and consequently increasing pain meds (and back on the laxido as a result!) and finally having to use my crutch again, and sleep well what sleep! my quality of life is as bad if not worse than before original TKR - although bizzarly I still don't regret having it done (as my thread says it is a bloomin long road I am travelling) and there is lots of inspiring threads on here to keep me going, as well as all the lovely supportive posts I am getting on my thread - thank you all x

Shortie x
 
nd there is lots of inspiring threads on here to keep me going,

How every true. Over the last year I've followed threads where people have been to hell and back, but in the end they made it. So no reason why you (and me) should be any different. Make sure you let us know the results ASAP. Carol
 
OK I admit it I keep having a bit of a meltdown and am getting quite anxious about results tomorrow - I am NOT going to play the what if game. If only the results affected just my knee and not all of life, family, work etc.

Anyway I will keep busy today (as busy as I can manage) I am hoping the sun will come out (a bit cloudy here at the moment) and it will be a relaxing as possible day.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Shortie x
 
Morning Shortie, I've just listened to the weather forecast. The sun WILL be out today. I bet its all you can do to stop yourself ringing up and asking them to tell you whats what now. East Anglia isn't a million miles away from East Sussex. If you want to stay busy you can come over and help me with ALL my housework :heehee: What time tomorrow do you have to be at the hospital? Fingers crossed its an early one. Carol
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom