Revision TKR Loosening, RA ?Second Revision

@Nana moon 27 I would so love to sleep and wake up in the morning feeling that I have slept rather than getting up in the morning because it is too painful to lie there any more!

@Josephine I saw in someone else's post that you commented that if they were limping they should use a walking aid - I can't remember who's thread it was but they were a few weeks post op - in your opinion am I doing any damage not using a walking aid? The physio offered me one 8 mts post op when things had started going wrong and physio hadn't helped at all but I declined as I felt it was a backwards step and also I am trying still to work and couldn't use one at work and feel that if I start using them again my mobility will reduce further and I would come to rely on it which would mean I couldn't work. I do keep looking at them but am a bit stubborn and until I have a definite plan I don't want to start using them incase I can't stop. I would be really greatful for your opinion

Shortie x
 
in your opinion am I doing any damage not using a walking aid?
Actually it has little or nothing to do with your having had surgery though that does mean you have a propensity to aches and pains, of course.

It's always a good idea to use a cane or whatever is necessary if you have pain whilst walking because ....
a) it relieves the pain on the affected leg - always a good idea
b) it balances the weight bearing which is causing the pain and prevents it spreading to other joints and the spine, also the possibility of headaches/migraines and other neurological aches and pains
c) it stops you getting into the habit of limping which is all too easy a habit to acquire

So be sensible and use a cane as and when you need it and can do so.
 
Thank you very much @Josephine I will heed your advice (but not use them at work as it might scare the patients!) I guess it is finally publically admitting that things are so wrong and my TKR has problems that has made me so hesitant to use them.

Shortie x
 
I used a waker & then a cane for what seemed like a long time--maybe 8 or 9 weeks. It really is helpful.
 
Oh I never used my cane in the department! Well, it was an OR so I wasn't allowed to anyway. But could only imagine the patient's reactions if they woke up to find their assigned nurse hobbling round their trolley with a cane!

But it was in my locker while working and I used it from the car park and back. (Actually, come to think of this, it was after my first scope (RTW at 2 weeks!) and then when I sustained a stress fracture in my foot)
 
The most embarrassing thing at work I find @Josephine is when I call a patient through from the waiting room with a leg / foot injury and I am limping worse than they are! Not sure how much confidence it gives the patient that we can make them better!

Shortie x
 
True.
I remember when I had my mri on the first knee before the tkr (when it was determined I had multiple meniscus tears etc)--the tech walked what seemed to me really fast taking me in--I was trailing way behind her. But then after the test she must have seen what the knee looked like and walked me out really slowly.
 
Well I really don't want to do that again whilst my knee is like it is. What is it you ask well unfortunately for me is it a long day at work and I do have more rostered. My colleagues are great and really consider me (the team I work with are a fantastic bunch) offering help but I feel like a burden and feel inadequate!

BUT looking on the bright side off to see OS on Thursday so will hopefully have a plan soon and with a plan the pain seems more tolerable - I see it like abdominal pain - if someone has severe abdo pain and doesn't know the cause or what will happen it seems unbearable however abdo pain in childbirth is still as painful but knowing the outcome it's worth it. I know my brain works in odd ways sometimes but this is how I see my knee pain whilst there is no plan and it seems never ending I really am not coping with it however if / when I get a plan I might get a glimpse of my destination (albeit with long range binoculars) at the end of this road which is so bloomin long!

I hope everyone has a good day

Shortie x
 
Shorty, what kind of dog is on your picture? We have a French Britney which has thankfully been away at training school to become a hunting dog while I was recovering.... She is not catching on very well, much to my husband's dismay




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
He is a VERY mad English Springer Spaniel - he too is a working dog and also quite headstrong - we spent the first 6-12 months of his life telling him No! But it was worth it he is now 7, completely bonkers but lovely and although very excitable is well behaved and a great companion.

Shortie x
 
but this is how I see my knee pain whilst there is no plan and it seems never ending
Shortie, I know how you feel in this! Some weeks ago I have a lump excised from my forearm (Josephine's surgery March 10th) and though it's reasonably well healed up I still keep getting surges of nerve pain up the arm and into the hand. This has been bothering me greatly over the weeks and I was looking forward to seeing the surgeon today to pour out all my woes to him and you know what? Not only did I forget to mention much about it, the sensation was almost completely absent! O course, soon as I got home, it all started up again!
 
@Shortie

I don't know if you've seen the TV programme "House" - but his patients never seem upset to see him walking with a cane. Yes, OK, I know that's not real life, but would it be much worse for your patients to see you with a cane than it is to see you limping. I don't know what your job is, of course.
 
@Josephine I hope your nerve pain goes away soon (or at least you remember to mention it to surgeon!)

@Celle I love 'House' but I work in Accident and Emergency so it isn't an option for me!

Shortie x
 
Well, not so many years ago (about 10!) one of the surgeon's I worked with sustained an Achilles tendon tear and refused to go off sick, instead carrying out all his ward rounds and clinics using a wheeled walking aid you knelt on and scooted about! He even came to theatre and operated using this thing. I couldn't help thinking that there was no way on God's earth any other member of staff anywhere would have been allowed to do this!
 
You are probably right Josephine!

I have finally admitted to my boss and occupational health how I am really struggling. It made me really emotional as I hadn't wanted to admit to anyone how difficult things have been. The lady I spoke to in Occy health was lovely and I am really lucky now to feel supported.

I am off to OS today so I will see what he has to say I have my fingers crossed that there will be a plan and something to work towards to. I will report back later.

Have a good day everyone.

Shortie
 
Shortie,
Wishing all the best during your OS appointment, hope you find some answers.
 
Well I have the start of a plan which I am glad.

My ESR and CRP were both elevated and OS stated what I was thinking which was it was very worrying.

The plan is for an arthroscopy for biopsies and then wait to see what they show. If they show infection it will be a two stage revision. Arthroscopy will be in the next two months.

I'm a bit peeved tonight, I will write more tomorrow.

Shortie x
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom