THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

@DizzyBlond - YES!!! What a great update! Man....you packed a whole bunch into one day! But, doesn't it feel great to show-off a little bit? ( guess that's why we're still among the "big kids" and not considered graduates yet!!). And driving affords us such independence....which we were robbed of for a little while. Watch out world.....we're coming!!! At our own pace, but we are on the way!!! Couldn't be happier for you, my friend. Xxoo
I spent the afternoon yesterday making rainbow loop bracelets with my little love (almost 7) with in-depth conversation.....some of which she wondered aloud if I'd have to use the cane for "the rest of my life"!!! It never occurred to me that that thought entered her mind!! I assured her that it was only temporary. I headed to dinner with her, her sister and daddy and when they dropped me off, again she wondered if I was lonely "just sitting alone when Papa isn't home?" Tells me this ordeal is shared by even the young. She's so used to seeing me as super active, this has been more profound on her than I had imagined. That may become my new goal...to show her how well this surgery pays off...even more so than playing golf!!!
 
Thank you so much, @Cynthia777 and @Miss Muffet!

@Chihuahuan - I'm so glad your OS appt day went well, so sorry you were then hit with that annoying nerve malady! How frustrating!! I read the link to your article on the condition, but can't remember if it mentioned a timeframe in terms of how long you might expect to be dealing with it? I would imagine the fact that you had a good day thrown into the midst of some harder ones is encouraging - as you said, the good days will become more and more frequent as we continue to heal. I don't know what side effects came on the insert with the Lyrica prescription - it will be interesting to hear what your family doctor has to say about it. I have to say what came to my mind when you mentioned it is something my husband always says after a commercial for any prescription med is on TV.... You've seen them, I'm sure - medicines for all sorts of health issues and challenges! The main part of the commercial makes you think the medicine just might be the answer for someone dealing with that health concern, and then at the very end comes the long, scary list of possible side effects. Sometimes it's so long and frightening that he'll say, "Why in the world would ANYONE take that?" But I remind him that the pharmaceuticals are probably just covering their behinds - they don't want to be sued in this lawsuit-happy society of ours, and they're probably having to list any and all things that people experienced as they did their clinical trials. Just a guess. But I doubt that Lyrica would be as widely prescribed and used with success if the vast majority of people encountered the things you read about! At any rate, I'll be eager to hear what the doc says! Good luck at PT tomorrow! I hope it's a great day!
:SUNsmile:

@Nana2-8 - Thanks so much!!! It DID feel great to "show off" a little! I have to keep reminding myself what the OS told me Tuesday - I'm not healed yet, and still need to take it easy, nice and slow. Like you, I tend to plunge into life and am normally a really busy person; it would be so easy to push beyond the limits of what my body could tolerate right now. Slow and steady we go! (And I have no doubt we'll be ready for the can-can come December!)

I'm so glad you were able to share such a delightful time with that little light of your life! Aren't grands just the very best thing ever? Oh, how I love those heart-to-heart conversations almost-7-year-olds like to have!! I'm so blessed you were able to have such a sweet time with her! (And what a tender heart she has!!! Most children her age wouldn't even think about their Nana possibly being lonely when Papa is gone!!!!! Absolutely precious!!!!) My 8 year old sweetie is very shy about the whole surgery thing - I think it's disturbed her a bit to see me in fresh post-op condition (they came over right after I'd gotten home from the hospital - and you know how THAT looks!). We've always done so many things together, and for her to see me incapacitated was possibly frightening. I haven't seen her in a few weeks, so I'm sure she'll be back to normal once we go on that belated back-to-school shopping trip I promised her! (And my 7 yr old grandson? He wants to see x-rays, wants to know that the prosthetic joint is made out of, and most importantly, loves to see the scar, making comments on how it's improving, etc. Hilarious!!!:heehee:) Onward and upward we go, Kathy! It's been such fun to make this journey with you!!! xoxoxox
 
It was nice to catch up on your thread and see all of your recent accomplishments. I am excited for you. Did you notice a difference in the level of pain you had from week 4 to week 6? I know we all have different experiences but, I was just wondering if it was a very obvious difference in pain levels between the two weeks. It is wonderful that you get to spend time with your grandchildren. I am missing mine horribly and can't wait to take a little trip to North Idaho to see them. Is it a little bit scary the first time you do some of the things you haven't done without precautions in a long time? I am so anxious to leave my precautions behind but, I just picture myself doing things very tentatively at first and being a little nervous. I look at the soaker tub and think about a nice bath but, before I know it I am trying to figure out just how I am going to get in and out of that thing. I feel like I won't get the nerve up for quite some time after I am finally given the okay. I know it is silly the things we worry about :). I am feeling very blessed to have these "big" problems to worry about. Today I made myself my morning iced latte and finally settled into my chair to enjoy it when the dog decided she needed to go out. I was like really I just got settled with ice packs and everything. I was feeling very ready to sit and rest a while but, unburied myself from the chair grabbed my cane and proceeded to go let her out. Well she was naughty and just wanted to bark at something so I called her back in . I was a little annoyed with her. I go to get settled again and sat down and went to put my cane in its spot and knocked that whole not even drank from latte all over my table, carpet and hardwood! Boy was I mad at myself for being so clumsy and I was annoyed with Taschka....if she wouldn't have wanted out you know.... well as I am rushing for towels and cleaning supplies and thinking to myself that now I have to make another latte it hits me ....at least I can make another latte and can manage to clean this huge mess up even with precautions and that it is not the end of the world. I hope that going through all that we go through having this life changing event and the struggles that accompany it will also serve as a reminder to me to keep things in perspective and remember to have more gratitude for even the little things like being able to make another latte or someday soon tie my shoes. It is nice that most days as I move forward on this journey there is some new little accomplishment to be grateful for. I am glad you have been having a lot of those accomplishments too. I am looking forward to hearing how things keep progressing with you. Hugs to you Robin.
 
@Wrknitout

Thanks so much for dropping by to say hi, Brenda! I'm so happy you are now able to just focus on the THR recovery with everything else taken care of! Yes, as pesty as my dog Jack ( a sweet border collie) can be about wanting out - no, not really - back inside, then back to the door to act as if he changed his mind and really DID want to go out after all, I've thought the very exact thoughts you have (minus the spilled ice latte! :)) - now I can GET UP and deal with whatever is going on, and the joint pain is GONE!!!! :happydance:

I've found it hard, to be honest with you, to not compare my recovery to everyone else's. Because I had posterior approach, I was aware that my recovery would look different than others who seemed to bounce back into life so quickly! And then, I'd hear that much-needed reminder in my head that NO hip recovery will ever be exactly like anyone else's! (At my physical therapy gym I've been chatting with a physical therapist who just had her second THR 2 months ago - her first was last December, and she was telling me that her 2 recoveries have been really different! Same woman, same surgery, but her body's responding and recovering differently this time around. So interesting!) So, I try to keep in mind that because I'm not where I THINK I should be, it's OK. I'll get there!

You asked me about pain differences from week 4 to week 6. I definitely did notice a difference. I was well done with prescription pain meds by week 6, and had an incredible week. I was so excited, and ridiculously thought, there - that's it! I'm done with recovery (HA!) and now I can just focus on regular life again! I'm not sure how long into recovery bad days can arrive, but I had a BAD Saturday. I felt like I was back at week 2-3; I took a Percocet (which makes me absolutely sick to my stomach) and went to bed! It's hard not to worry when you've been doing so well, and then out of the blue get hit with what feels like early post-op pain. My poor husband had to listen to me wonder if something was wrong, maybe I'll never recovery, this is taking so long, etc., etc., etc!!!! :flabber: In the meantime my more rational side was reminding me that short term recovery takes 3-6 months.... The rest, ice and elevating over the weekend helped, and today I'm almost back to where I was a week ago. It's hard not to analyze each day's progress (or lack thereof) - I'm much better off when I look at the BIG picture! :-)

Today I drove a half hour to my daughter-in-law's shop to get my hair trimmed and highlighted. I found a parking space as close as I could, then walked (no cane necessary) a block to her shop, navigated a flight of stairs, and then sat in all sorts of unfamiliar chairs! (The whole precaution thing will probably haunt me forever! LOL! I'm almost paranoid about my hips being any degree lower than my knees!) Because we do so much talking (in addition to the hair stuff) I was in the shop for about 2 1/2 hours. Then walked down the stairs, back to my car and drove the half hour home. I can promise you there's no way I could have done that even 2 weeks ago. So, yes, progress is definitely coming, but sometimes I think we need to take a step back to see everything objectively!

I can't wait until you have the chance to see your grands!!! They truly are THE best medicine of all, and you will be so happy to be able to walk, move, sit - whatever - without that joint pain to distract and interrupt your time with them! I hope it won't be too long until you can make the trip to visit!!!

We're leaving on Friday for a week on the coast, staying with friends in their condo. Since we've stayed there many times, I know the lay-out, but I'll be taking lots of extra cushions and pillows just in case! Considering that I've basically been house-bound since March, then home recovering from surgery, this will be my first away from home time in a long time! My OS said I was fine to quit the toilet riser, etc., but I keep entertaining all the "what ifs." :dubious: A change of scenery will be great, the weather will be perfect, and I'm sure it will all be good!

Praying for continued strength and healing for you, Brenda! You're doing great! (Costco???? Oh, yeah - that's what I'm talking about!! :wink:) And, yes, keep track of each new little accomplishment - it really does help to take a look back and realize that you're now doing what you couldn't have imagined doing just a few weeks ago!!!!

xoxoxoxo
 
Hey @DizzyBlond , my friend! JUst in case life continues to distract me this week, I want to wish you Bon Voyage! Have a wonderful time away from home. Please remember to pace yourself while away. Sometimes I am finding that keeping up with conversation can be tiring....especially after our hibernating phase. Have fun!
 
@DizzyBlond

Hi Robin, I too have a daughter in law that does my hair. She is a little further away then yours though so she colors it for me 3 or 4 times a year and cuts it and I have it touched up here at home if necessary. I am a terrible "client"...she usually does my hair from their home and I am wiggling around being distracted by the grand kids lol!

A trip to the coast sounds like such fun! Have an awesome time while you are there. Try not to be to preoccupied with worry about the "what if's". I know... easier said than done. I too will probably be worrying about the precautions for a very long time. I will pray you have a safe trip. I look forward to hearing all about it.

Thanks for the input on your pain difference from weeks 4-6. I know we are all different but, I am still taking that as good news and it gives me hope.

Hugs to you Robin.
 
I have been following Robin's thread since i was a few wks pre-op for posterior rthr on Aug.11. Thx to everyone for sharing your journey. :console2: I visit often to see what's shakin' or not. Do a little progress comparison /preview what i could expect / Recognize milestones. Finding this site has encouraged me & been a blessing.:flwrysmile:..... Plus the emojis are fun!

I feel comfortable asking for support here.
A challenge is coming up for me at 6 wks post-op. In May, I relocated from another city to be closer to family & will be moving into a condo i purchased 3wks before surgery. Bed, bath, laundry, everything is on one floor.... A 2nd floor loft & basement are just extra space. My entire family has been great help getting the space ready and unpacking .... I Have been staying with my sister & brother-in-law....the plan is to move into my home at 6 wks , after precauctions and OS visit. I have a tough time admitting that I feel afraid to move & be alone (with my pooch, Mikey). I even feel scared to drive. Up to this point in my life i have been independent... Fearless.... Met problems and barriers head on.... Found solutions.

Today i feel dependent, vulnerable even though my recovery progress has been steady. Only take Acetominaphin when i need it, walk outdoors on flat paved surfaces with a cane and new athletic shoes. Taken a few outings to the grocery, putz around at the condo, gone out to eat a few times.... I just do not feel confident. It is that "head thing" ..... Being new to a community + Living alone + recovery from hip surgery. I feel overwhelmed. I try to take it one day at a time. Go with the flow. Believe it will all work out. ....sheesh, this is not easy!
 
@DizzyBlond - haven't been on here for a while - getting back into the work routine. Really hope you have a successful trip. I'm sure you will and that you'll be even further along your wonderful recovery path when you return. I will be thinking about you xxx
 
Oh, my dear "hippie" friends - you lift my spirits!! I'm all packed and ready to go (apprehensively, I must add!) for a week on the coast! One of the most interesting things about being housebound for so long is not only have I not driven for many months (just got back into the driver's seat last week, and it was fine!), but when we get onto the freeway, the zipping, zooming speed at which the crazy drivers on SoCal freeways fly past is almost overwhelming! I think I need to acclimate to that much sensory overload after so many months of quiet! My husband has been so good about listening to my concerns, assuring me that I don't need to worry about doing anything I'm not feeling up to while we're on vacation, and not a word about me packing a LOT of extras! (All those lovely THR accessories and lots of extra cushions so my hips will be higher than my knees! :))
I spoke with my physical therapist at length yesterday about these random bad days and how they take me by surprise. She quizzed me on my activity at home - yes, more than I was used to, and foolishly how I let a few very good days allow me think I was up to doing far more than my hip was agreeing to, I admitted. She just smiled and asked me if I'd learned my lesson. She reminded me that I'd had MAJOR surgery 7 weeks ago, and that I should NOT be pushing myself. I told her I needed to get up and going, this was getting boring, etc., and she said, "Nah, just milk it for what it's worth! You'll be feeling better at 12 weeks. Within months of that you'll begin feeling like your old self, but you're still healing at 6 months!" In the meantime, simple walking and cycling (upright bike) for short amounts of time, and then ice and elevate. She's been such a help in this journey!

@Nana2-8 - Thanks so much, friend! Life is picking up a little speed, isn't it!? Are you heading back south pretty soon? Thanks for the reminder to not push it! I'm finding that to be my problem! If I feel fine at the moment, I push more - and then the next day or two I think my shiny, titanium hip points a finger at me and laughs, as if to say, "Oh, did you really think you were going to get away with doing all THAT right now?" :wink: You're so right - sometimes just keeping up with people and fast conversations is tiring! I have a feeling there will be a few times while we're gone when I'll be retiring to the guest bedroom to rest and find the quietness I've become quite accustomed to this past half year!

@Wrknitout - Isn't it great to have your own personal hair stylist? :) Yes, adorable grands could definitely be a distraction when getting color and a cut!! How have you been feeling, Brenda? Do you feel like you've gotten your strength back from the C Diff? (Honestly, just recovering from surgery has been exhausting for me! I definitely need to build up my endurance... to which my PT would say, give it time, give it time... it'll happen!!!) How's your pain level been? Does it seem to be consistent, or are you fluctuating between good and not so good days? I'll be on my laptop while we're gone - I've told everyone to please go about their days, I'll be thrilled to just ice, rest and look at the ocean! It's very hilly there, and my PT said NO hills yet. They do have a gym, so I'll hopefully be able to do a little on the treadmill. When the speed is nice and slow, it feels so good to stretch out my operated leg in a long stride. I'll be in touch!

@Wait4Hip - Hi and welcome!!!! I'm so glad you hopped on and shared your story with us! Even though we're spread all over the place, just knowing that we can all meet up on this forum makes it a little less lonely. Support is abounding here - thank you for opening up your heart and sharing your situation. We're all walking this journey of recovery together - the good and the bad! Wow, you are dealing with a LOT! I'm surrounded by all things familiar, and I find myself feeling overwhelmed at times - incredibly vulnerable, afraid someone might knock me down when out and about, etc. I can't walk in the neighborhood because of the hills, and even if I could, I have this fear that a lose dog could come, something bad might happen, etc. and my mobility is so limited (in terms of speed!). And all of this is so strange for someone who, like you, is used to being very independent, not limited in anyway prior to all of this hip stuff! I think we perhaps diminish the impact that the pre-op pain, surgery, and then recovery have on us, both physically and mentally!!! And on top of all of that, you've got so many changes going on in the midst of your recovery - that just has to make it that more challenging! As I found out after my first long solo car ride 2 days ago, confidence is coming back slowly. I was so proud that I did it! Had to fight a little anxiety, but I did it! So we get brave and do something that we might not rather do, and find out we can do it, which then causes us to feel a little braver for the next challenge... and one victory builds on top of the next! You're so right - take it one day, one hour at a time. I have a feeling we'll be hearing that though it might not always be easy, you'll be finding yourself more and more at home and very comfortable in your one-story condo, hopefully meeting new people in your new community. I'm personally thinking about joining a local gym (not the "meat market" kind, but the kind where seniors go!) to be able to walk and cycle indoors, hoping to meet some other people who've been through something similar to me. We'll be here, cheering you on... don't you dare hesitate to jump on here to let us know how things are going!!!! xoxox

@Chihuahuan - Oh, yes, we know what this feels like, don't we! Sometimes I feel like a toddler just getting my footing and learning how to walk!!!

@BizzyLizzy - Thank you so much, Liz! I read the conversation on your thread about how work is progressing - I can't tell you how thrilled I am for you!!! I'm looking forward to being able to report the same thing in several months!!!! And now my husband says, time to pack the lap top - we're on our way! Thanks for being so encouraging, my friend!

Sending love to all of you!

P.S. @Cynthia777 Miss you, my friend. :sad: I pray all is well - I'm sure you're keeping quite busy these days!! Just wanted to say hi and to thank you for the support you've so generously given me and so many, many others here! You are a gift!!!! xoxox
 
There's nothing like the voice of experience to shed some light on a path I've just been walking for 8 weeks, so here goes! I'm looking forward to hearing what any of you might have to say!!!

First, stiffness! :sad: Approximately how long does it take for the stiffness that comes after sitting for a while to decrease and eventually fade away? Was it common for any of you to be healing, making progress, and yet find that sitting for any length of time exacerbated stiffness?

Secondly, shoes! Right now I'm wearing nothing but flats (sandals and athletic shoes), but as healing progresses, is there a point when wearing low heels is OK? I'm just wondering if shifting the body's alignment might be problematic or pain-producing.

Thanks in advance!!!
 
For me, stiffness after sitting is directly proportional to how long I sit. I'm a student, and I sit far too much and too long. So yes....stiffness is there. As long as it clears up quickly once I move...and it always does....then it's not a concern for me.

Shoes....I simply can't wear any heels. Just. Can't. So I don't. I've invested in some really cute but super comfy Keen's sandals that I can get away with for a dressier look; and everyday Keens for...everyday. There are those times when I've thought I could get away with something a bit more fashionable for just a few hours...but each and every time I pay for it the next day or two. I don't try anymore. I've reached a point of Zen acceptance.

Sharon
 
For me, stiffness after sitting is directly proportional to how long I sit. I'm a student, and I sit far too much and too long. So yes....stiffness is there. As long as it clears up quickly once I move...and it always does....then it's not a concern for me.

Shoes....I simply can't wear any heels. Just. Can't. So I don't. I've invested in some really cute but super comfy Keen's sandals that I can get away with for a dressier look; and everyday Keens for...everyday. There are those times when I've thought I could get away with something a bit more fashionable for just a few hours...but each and every time I pay for it the next day or two. I don't try anymore. I've reached a point of Zen acceptance.

Sharon
I came to the same acceptance after both my knee replacements. I simply wear sandals--mostly Tevas-- year round.
 
I know that we are not encouraged to ask questions except in our individual recovery threads but I strongly believe we need a place to ask general questions like this.
 
And, after my tkr when my balance and gait were restored, I had to get all new shoes!! My old ones had wear patterns in them that hurt my feet when i tried to wear them. I often wear heels--mostly wedges or low heels, but I have no problem at all wearing them. The only thing that keeps me away from them is that I live in Montana, where rocks abound!!

I wear Danskos--even the ones with a thick heel and clark shoes that have heels. There is not reason you cannot wear them, but your old shoes will not feel good on your feet.
 
I too have been wondering if wearing heels would be a problem after THR . Good question Robin. I get a lot of stiffness after sitting also. Hopefully it improves with time. Hope you are enjoying having your toes in the sand. :SUNsmile:
 
I know that we are not encouraged to ask questions except in our individual recovery threads but I strongly believe we need a place to ask general questions like this.
It's okay to ask questions that are very general and on a specific topic like this outside of a person's recovery thread.
 
Great question on shoes- all mine have terrible (I need a hip replacement for 10 year marks lol) I was wondering on wedges too-


Posterior Right Total Hip Replacement due to Necrosis of femoral head -August 22,2016
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom