THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

Robin.
I had my OP in March 2016. I can tell you for sure that in my case ( and quite likely in yours) I am still seeing improvements.
I like your Docs Ferrari substitute analogy.
Do the type of exercise that is well within your comfort zone. I enjoy walking, yoga (gentle) and cycling are my preferred. I'm 18 months out (2 hips) and I'm better than 6 months ago.
Hope this helps.
Joe....
 
Last edited:
@DizzyBlond You will continue to see improvement for quite awhile. What seems very difficult at one point in this journey may be very easy another day. The trick is to ease into any activity.

I don't agree with your OS that at one year that's what you get. After both my THRs I continued to see increased mobility well after one year.
 
Hi @DizzyBlond had my first thr around the same time as you and the second one about six mos ago. I sometimes get a swollen reminder in the evening if I do too much and then dial it back the next day. One OS I consulted early on said something similar.. best hips are the ones you're born with and are an amazing feat of engineering; the new ones are great substitutes that come with some limitations.

Have read so many inspiring stories of people getting their full active lives back in mere weeks and had to adjust my expectations. I was very active all my life and it came to sudden halt with the onset of hip OA. In hindsight it's easy to see how I wore them out. Both hips are doing very well today though there's def a difference and had to stop comparing the fake hips with the inborn ones.

The stiffness and swelling sounds very normal, OS said endurance comes with time, up to two years, mine were bad off. I read the last couple pages of your thread which was useful, HipHipHooray made some good points.
 
@Irish Joe I so appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with me - thank you! Yes, you're right - I need to dial back everything that I've been pushing myself to do, and it so helps to hear the encouragement to slow it down and do what my body "says" is OK. Here's to hoping the months to come continue to bring improvement for all of us! Thanks again!
 
@Jaycey Because you've read countless recovery stories on the forum (as well as living your own!), it means so much to hear that I may very well indeed continue to improve as I quit pushing it, begin lowering my activity expectations to be on a certain timeframe, and let my body dictate the healing! Thank you!!!
 
@Horseshoe I'm so glad you mentioned reading the past few pages of my thread, because I hadn't looked at any of it for months and months! You're so right - HipHipHurray had some great points, and it really helped to go back and read them again! I'm going to embrace your OS's statement that endurance takes time to build - and yes, that may mean up to 2 years! Like you, I am still working on what I expected this to be vs. what reality is - and in the meantime, I'm going to savor every day I'm given!
:loveshwr:
 
Hi @DizzyBlond ,
It's a pleasure to read from you again. How are your grand-children? I have 4 daughters but haven't got any grand-children.
Well, I'm one of the people who still experienced improvements beyond 1 year. I think what can improve is your strength, stamina, and endurance. While many of us feel ok after as early as 4-6 weeks, it's possible to improve even further. You may not get sleepy easily, get your energy back, and - yes - any stiffness/soreness/swelling that may come up after too much effort in the first year will not happen in the second.
I'm a long-distance runner of many years. Had done 10 marathons and 2 half marathons preop. While it is not recommended by many surgeons to run post-op, not running for me is inconceivable. Helps me keep my physical (and mental (smile) health). At the beginning, i.e. after 4 months, I ran just a couple of 100 Meters in one go and walked the rest. Then I increased the distances. Then, in August 2016, I completed my first full marathon post op - actually walked part of the distance. Yesterday, I did the same marathon again and ran 30 minutes faster (5:03 insteald of 5:33 hrs.). You will improve. Keep up the good work.
Best
Constanze
 
Hi @DizzyBlond, I will have to go back and read those last few pages. I can't remember what I wrote. I just wanted to let you know that I am still seeing and feeling improvement. It has been a little of two years since my bilateral surgery. I can get my heels down in downward dog now, and I could never do that with my own hips. I am able to do a wider straddle, and can do many stretches that I never would have done in the first year. I just work very gradually. That's what Dr. Matta told me to do. I am still cautious. I find that listening to Louise Hay's affirmations really helps me. I also think about Oprah's advice, which is to set your intention with everything you do. If I don't, sometimes I slip into fear and anxiety. I never used to be an anxious person, but since the surgery I have to watch it. I believe that you will keep getting better with time. It's just important to work in very small increments, and give it a couple of days to test the reaction. I walked my dog up a steep hill the other night, and even after all this time I was a little sore yesterday. It seemed like nothing, but I was using different muscles. I am careful not to lift anything heavy, and use my bike trailer to transport the huge bags of dog food that I buy at Costco into the house. Those little things can make a big difference.

I am going to update my thread. It's interesting and exciting to hear how everyone from our group is doing.
 
Last edited:
@Constanze How lovely to hear from you after all this time! Thank you so much for your encouraging words! It is quite remarkable to think back to where I was a year ago, freshly post-op and wondering if any sense of normalcy would ever return! I think it comes in such small increments that we truly need to use hindsight to appreciate just how far we've come! Just the fact that I no longer have to think of having to cancel plans because I'm having a rough recovery day is a gift in and of itself!

I can't believe that you are back to running! That's absolutely fantastic! Unlike you, I have never in my life been an athlete - and I'm sure that has caused my recovery process to be slower than had I been very physically active prior to the surgery. But I am grateful to be in great health, despite that, and I so appreciate the words reminding me that my body is continuing to heal, and hasn't come to an abrupt stop now that I'm past the 12 month mark! :heehee:

Thanks so much for asking about the grands.... they are growing, growing, growing! Ages 9. 8. 7 and 5 (the sweetest gifts my 3 sons ever did give me!), they are the delight of my life! There's still plenty of time for you to experience what has to be one of the greatest compensations of getting older!!

So glad you dropped by to say hello and cheer me on!
xoxo
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Yes, you'll have to look back at what you wrote me - wise words indeed! I find great encouragement in hearing that you're continuing to see improvement, even at the 2 year mark. I just noted that you had anterior... There have been quite a few times when I've wondered if I'd had the anterior approach if I'd still be dealing with all of this glute pain that flares up, sometimes for no discernible reason at all. Well, there's no going back - just eyes ahead, forward march! Thankfully, I"m not an overly-concerned person, so I don't deal with anxiety in regard to any of this... Just eager to know what the new normal will eventually be, and until then celebrating each day as the gift that it is! So nice to hear from you - and congratulations on all you're able to accomplish at this point! Very impressive!

xoxox
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom