THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

Hi DizzyBlond, I'm sorry to hear you have had some pain. It sounds to me like you are doing way too much exercise. I've had the same experience, and my surgery was a year and five months ago! I general, I feel great, but if I work out at the gym, I really pay for it. At first I was trying to do an hour. I used the stationary bike, the eliptical, stair master, and weight machines. It felt fun and exciting while I was doing it, but boy did I pay for it a couple of days later. I always got a delayed reaction. I tried modifying it down to just thirty mins. but I still had trouble. My hips would burn and feel very aggravated. Same thing with swimming. So, I just continue to do the things that don't cause me pain. For some reason, I'm fine with bike riding, walking, Hatha yoga, Pilates, and some yard work. I have to be careful not to overdo in the yard, though. I also still do those basic PT exercises that I learned in the hospital.

For me, it's worth it to not be so athletic and gung ho in exchange for a pain free life. I miss the endorphin rush that I got from dance classes, but I think that at this age, I really have to change my approach. My knees were starting to grind when I took ballroom classes, so I stopped. Now they don't bother me anymore.

I am so relieved to be able to walk the dogs again, clean my house, trim my trees, work in the garden, etc. I no longer have a super cut body, but I'm still pretty lean and strong, and I feel healthy and pain free. I would back off the exercise and see if you heal. You might have to really switch to something that's not as demanding. Let us know how you're doing.

Oh, and five months out really isn't that long. I think it takes more than a year to heal completely. Plus, this is just a completely different body post surgery. To me, our legs are like repaired pieces of furniture. They need special care...
 
I'm sorry to hear you are having pain, but am not surprised. Disappointed in a way though. I thought I would have these surgeries and by next summer would be back to my active life with my teen boys. I'm starting to think I may have been overly ambition when I planned on hiking and mountain climbing on our vacation in the adirondack mountains in July.

I'm three and a half months out from my LTHR and Hazel is actually treating me pretty well. I think that is because I'm a month out from RTKR and Nigel (my knee) is preventing me from doing much. On the day of surgery I was actually having more pain in my replaced hip than in my about to be replaced knee, but not between the inactivity and being back on pain killers I barely know she is there.

I do still get twinges sometimes though now that she has to be the "good leg". Stepping up into our huge SUV, climbing stairs too aggressively etc. So, it makes sense to me that you would feel it after a hard workout.

Hopefully it will just get better and better, but I have read repeatedly that it takes up to a year to heal fully from these surgeries.
 
Being impatient, I push, and so 1 week ago I did 50 mins on treadmill and bike... 2 days later, lots of discomfort in thigh, buttock, etc. Now it just seems to want to hang on. Sigh....
When I see the word "push" in a post it is almost always followed by a description of some sort of discomfort. I stand by the tried and tested method of getting back to activity - do half as much as you think you can do. Then if you have no discomfort, add just a bit of time. The gradual approach means you are not fighting the discomfort.

Muscle pain can be eased using heat. At this stage I would use what feels the best.
trying to figure out if it's normal to have set-backs at almost 6 months post-op
When you start any new activity your muscles may complain. After all they are now being asked to work again. The key is to ease into anything new.
 
Hello Dizzy

Very much feeling your frustrations. You were kind enough to offer advice after my op in August 2016 but like you I am also still experiencing a lot of pain and always when I try to mobilize. In my case I feel that I was actually in a better place six weeks back. Was able to do more, walk further had less pain. Was only using one cane now back to two. Figured I maybe caused some trauma to the area. Only thing that springs to mind was catching my foot against a paving stone which sent a shock up my leg. Having regular physio which currently amounts to acupuncture sessions. Not convinced they are doing any good. I was also offered Hydrotherapy which I declined but may well reconsider. Did you have this or has it been suggested? I do the basic exercises now but little walking as I tire easily due to the discomfort.
Am due to see the consultant again this week and will be hoping for some answers or reassurance. I also have a bad limp when I try to walk. I think there is some leg length discrepancy so am seeing orthotics soon too. Good to feel at least that other people don't sail through this procedure. For pain relief I take paracetamaol and codeine when it gets really bad. Hope you get some relief soon and will let you know what happens after my next consultation in case there may be some advice for you. I agree with your point that progress does not seem incremental but more haphazard. What are the professionals currently telling you? Talk soon and take care.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Hip Hip Hooray! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to give me some much needed input and perspective - I so appreciate you sharing so many things that truly resonate!
It felt fun and exciting while I was doing it, but boy did I pay for it a couple of days later. I always got a delayed reaction.
Yes, yes, YES! That has been my exact experience! I allow everything to quiet down inside that healing hip, feel good, excitedly (and mistakenly!) thinking, "NOW I'm ready to head back to my normal level activity!" And while it feels great in the moment, it's the delayed reaction that comes 2-3 days later, lasting a good week or even longer! :-(
I am so relieved to be able to walk the dogs again, clean my house, trim my trees, work in the garden, etc. I no longer have a super cut body, but I'm still pretty lean and strong, and I feel healthy and pain free. I would back off the exercise and see if you heal.
Again, spot on! Remembering the indescribable pain of impinged cartilage, I really, truly appreciate the joy of being able to do simple things that were simply impossible before my surgery! Taking things slowly was never my forte, so this is difficult - I'm so ready to active! But realizing that there will come a time when i can do more, slowly, slowly, slowly, gives me much hope!
Oh, and five months out really isn't that long. I think it takes more than a year to heal completely. Plus, this is just a completely different body post surgery. To me, our legs are like repaired pieces of furniture. They need special care...
Thank you SO much for this much-needed reminder! Because I feel so much better than I did and am able to do so many more things now that I could just 2-3 months ago, it's so easy to lose sight of the fact that my body has undergone MAJOR trauma! Thanks for reminding me of a great analogy - I'm the proud owner of a freshly repaired piece of furniture!! :)

@ouch Oh my gosh, your post made me laugh! Nigel and Hazel.... :heehee: Wow, girl, I can't wrap my mind around your TWO major surgeries that are SO impacting in terms of ambulation!! If recovering from THR takes a good year, what timeframe are you looking at in terms of your knee replacement? I'm slowly improving from my gym fiasco of 10 days ago, and hearing the reminders to SLOW DOWN and give it time has been so good and needful... it WILL get better! Perhaps not as quickly as we'd prefer, but, nevertheless, it will happen!!!!! Take care, Carol Anne - I see that you are in the midst of some heavy duty winter!!! :shocked: No slipping or falling allowed!!!! xox

@Jaycey Once again, you step in with wisdom and perspective! Thank you so much!
When I see the word "push" in a post it is almost always followed by a description of some sort of discomfort. I stand by the tried and tested method of getting back to activity - do half as much as you think you can do. Then if you have no discomfort, add just a bit of time.
You hit the nail on the head! My impatient nature says, let's get on with this thing! My adjusting post-surgical body says, oh, you think so?? ;-) It's a little difficult to be back amongst lots of people, work, etc. - I look normal, I walk normally, so people expect that I'm completely recovered. Time to remind myself (and everyone else!) that I'm not there yet! Doing half as much as I think I can will prove to be my greatest challenge, but it's time to make that my daily mantra! (Ooooh, so hard!!!!) Thanks again!!! xox

@ajr1949 Oh, this is frustrating, isn't it!? I'm so sorry that we aren't among the few (if any!) who have the surgery, then after several months of recovery, simply sail back into active, regular life! My leg length discrepancy was quite marked in the beginning - standing on my operated leg left the other one feeling a good inch off the ground. My OS told me it can take a year for everything to settle down inside the altered alignment of the pelvis, so give it time. He was right - and now I rarely even notice it. Hopefully yours will soon begin to subside.
Sometimes I sit down and intentionally mark the progress I've made. I remember the relentless pain that led to the only solution that would bring relief - THR. I think of the things that I can do now that I wasn't able to even consider 2-3 months after the surgery. (Sometimes just charting my progress, as slow as it seems, helps bring a bit of perspective.) I'm so, so sorry that you're having to deal with such considerable pain that you're continuing to need medical intervention. Mine isn't quite that involved. I overdo it, then pay for it several weeks, then start all over. I suppose the fact that I've had some really good weeks where I can almost forget that I've had such major surgery is an encouragement that with time, this current tightness and glute pain will again subside, and I'll try to be more cautious and judicious about how much I physically try to accomplish. I'm just taking Tylenol (paracetamol) for the discomfort, and haven't had the need to see a dr.
How long ago was it that you caught your foot? (No doubt that unexpected, sudden jolt troubled those healing hip tissues!) I'm curious as to what your physio thinks might be going on, and so glad to hear that you'll be seeing a consultant this week who will hopefully give you come clarification. Please keep me informed as to what he/she says, and as well what the recommendation for further treatment might be! (I've scoured this forum, trying to find people who've had set backs at 6 months post-op, and the take-away, time and again, is that overdoing it is never going to be a good idea.) Healing will just be slower as we find ourselves in this 6th decade of life, as much as I hate to acknowledge the fact! Patience and time will be our best friends on this journey - but as you said, it is a comfort to know that we aren't alone in the struggle! Be in touch, and take care! xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Robin @DizzyBlond you will get there. It's just the trial and error thing that drives every recovering hippie mad. Your mind says "let's do this" and your hip just isn't quite there. But you will get there. Slow and steady.
 
Hi @DizzyBlond, I think many of us expect too much from these artificial hips. My dad was pressuring me after the surgery to get a full time job. I pointed out to him that just doing my household chores and yard work was an accomplishment. His mom had both of her hips replaced when she was about my age, and she was on crutches for the rest of her life. I think Americans have really become like workaholics. I was. As you said, you are in your sixties. What was you grandmother and your mother doing at this age? That puts it in perspective to me. My grandma on the other side had both knees replaced. We were pleased that she could walk normally. She had been deformed for years, and waddled around in terrible pain. I started to look the same way at 50. This surgery has made me get honest with myself about aging. and I've changed my routines to something practical and healthy for the rest of my life. I used to just overwork my body on a daily basis. I abused it, and it was normal to me. Many dancers and athletes do the same thing, and eventually, they break down and need surgery.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
Well, my situation might be a bit different than yours leading up to surgery. I was active, busy, no hip pain. I incurred an injury (torn labrum) after a weekend of extensive exercise, and the pain got worse and worse. I went from fully active to not walking more than ten steps in the space of a year. At my age my mother was golfing, traveling and loving life, so this was not at all what I anticipated dealing with in my early 60's. I've never been a super-athletic person, so I'm not aspiring to go back to any sort of high level physicality. Just thankful to be able to walk and enjoy life again without, and looking forward to the time when the relapses are fewer and far between! I'm so grateful that, despite the drawbacks and difficulties involved in post-op healing, there's a surgery that can give us back some normalcy! :-)
 
@DizzyBlond- sorry to hear of your experience but I can tell you that so much of your post resonates with me. The excitement of feeling good and becoming more active, the "delayed reaction" and then the frustration of not being able to just get back to normal. I feel all of those things!!

I'm at 16 weeks postop. In some ways it's hard to believe and at times I still sense that there is still some major healing going on. Like you I get excited and probably do too much, but it doesn't hurt at the time and I get excited that I'm able to resume some physical activity. Last week I rode my exercise bike for 20 mins after doing a 15 min walking workout inside. It felt so good! And I didn't push myself. Of course the next day I woke up sore, and realized I maybe did too much. I rested that day and tried again the next day with the same result. Then, last Friday I babysat the grandson (which I love to do). That involved lots of bending walking playing on the floor etc. The true test was picking him up off the floor after the bath- that was excruciating before my surgery. But last Friday I had no pain at all and the leg felt strong! I was elated. Then there was 30 mins or so of rocking and holding him as he drifted off to sleep, again with no issue. I went to sleep that night thinking everything was great and back to normal. However that was not the case the next morning- I had lots of muscle pain in the outer hip and entire leg. I was disappointed but I rested, iced and took a Celebrex and felt better the next day. I guess it's just going to take a while longer before I can do these kinds of things without paying for it later. It is frustrating for sure.

Fast forward to this morning. Woke up late, rushing around to get ready for work. Took a step into the kitchen to grab some coffee. This involves turning a corner, and my with first step around the corner I felt a severe sharp pain in my groin all the way down my leg. Stopped me in my tracks. I immediately thought what have I done to my new hip?. I gingerly took a few more steps and the sharp pain subsided. However A constant deep ache in my groin has remained all day. So much so that I left work and immediately came home and took a Percocet and iced. 14 hours later I am still in some pain. I'm going to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't subside by end of week I'm going to call OS. This pain is not like any of the postop pain I've felt so far it actually feels more like the preop pain. I'm praying that I just tweaked a muscle.

I hope your delayed reactions and soreness subside soon, and remember that we are all still healing for a full year after surgery. Take care of yourself!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo So nice to hear from you! I'm so happy to hear that you're getting back into the swing of things! Working, back to spending time with your grandson - isn't it wonderful to be able to say yes to things that a year ago were incredibly difficult, if not impossible!?!?! And then there's that thing called recovery after major, traumatic surgery to contend with! We've read it so many times on this forum, I've had physical therapists and physical trainers tell me over and over: Give it one year before you even expect to reach the recovery you long for! Don't push yourself - which is my biggest downfall. Listen to your body (and respect what it's telling you!).... How many times have we heard it? And now we are in the middle of recovery - the most difficult aspects of early post-op days behind us, we're now daily trying to find the balance between too much, not enough, and just right! (We're hippie Goldilocks! :heehee:)
I so hope you woke up this morning feeling a bit of improvement over the the pain you experienced yesterday! I'll go to your thread to see if anyone commented on what you might have experienced, but my inexperienced guess is that those still-healing tissues were unexpectedly "asked" to do something they weren't quite ready to accomplish, and simply let you know it! I must have asked a dozen times to my OS, my various PTs, etc, "How would I know if I dislocated or did something equally injurious to my new hip?" I invariably got the same response every single time: A smile, and a comment about "Oh, don't worry, you'd immediately know." "You wouldn't be able to move." Things like that. And it doesn't at all sound like you had that sort of experience. I'm hopping on over to your thread to see if anyone's commented! In the meantime, we'll remind ourselves that healing is a process we simply can't force!! (By the way, you may not have noticed, but a few days ago I wondered if heat might be helpful as opposed to ice, particularly when my hip and thigh muscles are feeling really tense. I was told at this point to feel free to try it... so yesterday, when my glute and upper thigh were feeling sooo tight, I heated up a rice pack - first sat on it, then heated it up again and laid it across my thigh. Ahhhh.... relief!!!)
Take care - and here's to as easy and quick a resolution to your painful kitchen turn of yesterday. xox
 
@DizzyBlond- you are so funny - hippie Goldilocks! You hit the nail on the head! Trying to find that sweet spot activity level will be our main mission the rest our first year. And it's a challenge when each day can be different or you have a whole week of great days feeling strong and pain free and then bam you wake up in pain. Luckily those painful days are very few and far between and I'm so grateful. You are so right about being able to do things that I couldn't do a year ago or even 6 months ago- it still amazes me. Last Thursday when my sweet grandson was reaching for my hands and taking ME for a walk I almost cried with joy. He is one of the biggest reasons I finally had the surgery and it's a wonderful feeling knowing that I will be able to be there physically for him as he grows up. He's almost 14 months old and every bit an energetic toddler, and so darn cute!

This morning the pain was much improved - down to a 2 from about a 7 so that relieved me quite a bit. I had an early meeting at work so got in there by 7:45 and worked til 6. Per usual I was sitting the entire day either in my office or in meetings in "ergonomic " chairs - ha! They are some of the worst chairs. I've now been in the office 4 full weeks, as opposed to working full days from home at a high bistro table with a high stool. I was much more comfortable at home so I think I may investigate a standing desk for the office. Anyway, as the day wore on my pain did get worse, despite taking my Celebrex. By 7:00 the ache in my hip was up to a 4. I'm applying a heating pad now as I can't find my rice bag, but it's not the same. The fact that I have this pain is worrisome but the location is what's concerning me. I have never felt pain in this location since my surgery. But it is getting better which is good, and I can still walk. I've had similar responses from the OS and PT about how you will know if you dislocated or did something bad. And I'm not typically one who goes to the dr for every little thing but this is just different and new to me so it has my attention.

I hope that you are feeling better and will find that magic Goldilocks spot where you know just how far you can go, have confidence in your activity, and then you can enjoy it. Gradual increases each week worked for me with my walking, like adding 5 mins or another 1/4 mile. That's what got me up to my current limit of 2 miles. Now if I could just get the time to do it every single day that would be heaven.

Take care and keep us posted. xo


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo Well, a few days have passed now since - I do hope that you're continuing to see a decrease in the pain and won't feel the need to contact the OS. You work such long hours!!!! :unsure: I don't know how you do it! I was thinking about what you said about making that change from a bistro-height chair at home to the desk chairs at work, and looking into the possibility of a standing desk. Have you seen those desktop stands being advertised on TV? They simply sit right on top of your existing desk, allowing you to raise (for standing) or lower (for sitting), giving you the option of both positions. I know that if I do either sitting or standing for too long, the muscles let me know! A 9-10 hour day comprised of mainly sitting would be a literal pain in the behind for me! (Did you ever try the rice bag, and did it help?)

I've continued to have a good week, I'm happy to report! Hard to believe that one day of overdoing it at the gym cost me a good 1 1/2 - 2 week relapse! I profusely apologized to my still-healing hip, and promised I would take it easy and listen to it more closely - I think it appreciated the TLC, and since then I've been doing well. :wink: Yes, finding that sweet spot is definitely the big challenge in these months after surgery! But we'll get there! Hope you have a great, restful weekend and that you're feeling so much better!!
 
Hello good folks.

Been back to see the OS and he is not "concerned" presently although he is perplexed as to why I am not more mobile. Have to go back in six weeks. No trace of infection or movement. Was to start hydrotherapy today but was cancelled last minute so hopefully next week. Pinning a lot of hopes on that. Would be interested in any comments regarding groin pain. I now have it on weight bearing. A lot worse than about a month back. I was at a point where I could stand on just the operated leg and support all my weight. Not anymore. Trying to be upbeat and patient but frustrating that I have actually regressed. Hoping you are all progressing well and not in too much pain.
 
@ajr1949 - Great news to hear that the OS ruled out movement of the prosthetic joint as well as infection as the source of your pain. The other day I was thinking about how tight all the muscles in my hip/thigh area were feeling and did a bit of research on what I'd seen a few on this forum post as issues with a tight psoas muscle. The description didn't match my symptoms, but I did think of you when I read that one of the main issues is groin pain. You might want to discuss with your physio or even research it yourself. There appear to be many articles on how to gently stretch to ease the tightness - just thought I'd toss the possibility your way! Here's just one bit from an article I found:

"Pain after THR can be due to many causes apart from aseptic loosening or infection. These may be related to the spine, peripheral nerves (sciatic and obturator), vessels, herniae, stress fractures, compartment syndromes and neoplasms.1,2,3,5-11 Occasionally, despite investigation, no cause can be found, and the outcome remains unsatisfactory. We present another possible cause of persistent pain which is related to the psoas muscle. In this condition there is characteristically a constant pain in the groin..." broken link removed: https://www.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/jbjsbr/84-B/7/991.full.pdf

Best of luck, and here's hoping you find the answer and begin to feel better very soon!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dizzy

Very interesting article. I am due to see the OS again in five weeks and will certainly raise this as an issue and so to with the Physio. The symptom relating to getting out of a car resonates as does the one regarding lifting the leg. I find getting in and out of the car and also getting in and out of bed very discomforting. I cant say that the groin pain is constant however. It comes on weight bearing and hence my inability to walk without a stick. Symptoms did present at about the three month mark. Just had a couple of better days, more energy and some improved flexibility but lo and behold today not so good. That's very much the pattern. In the meantime I start the hydrotherapy sessions. I am doing some exercises daily but not overdoing it and also a short walk with cane.
In the meantime I remain patient and optimistic that things will improve eventually. Hope things are progressing well for yourself and many thanks again for the useful information.
 
@ajr1949 - You're so welcome. I think good days (despite being sandwiched in-between rougher ones) remind us that there'll come a time when we'll be enjoying better times!

I'm doing fairly well, thanks. When I realize that I haven't given my hip much thought, I know I'm on the road.... even if it's quite bumpy at times! :SUNsmile:

Hope the hydrotherapy brings some relief!
 
It's been so many months since I've been on this wonderful forum! I kept my sanity by connecting with so many amazing, caring, supportive, and informative online friends as I was waiting for my THR, and then traveled on with them through those early weeks of recovery! I am appreciative beyond words for this online community!

But here I am, now 13 months post op, hoping to hear some of you who are a bit further on in the journey. My recovery was pretty much non-eventful. It seemed to take longer than I expected, however, and periodically I would get concerned that I continued to have so much soft tissue soreness (sometimes for no apparent reason or, more obviously, when I overexerted), when so many on the forum had posted about life being fully back to normal, full activity, etc. on a much earlier timeframe.

I was very careful in listening to my body, not overexerting, etc, in the first few months, but finally went back to the gym at 8 months, figuring I'd be able to handle simple. no resistance upright bicycling and flat treadmill. Started slowly, and this past week was up to 4 miles in 25 mins on the bike, treadmill for another 25 mins. And I paid dearly. :groan: By day 2, ice and rest ice and rest. And when my thigh, glutes, hamstring (and whatever else is going on in there!) are so tight and sore, my foot then swells and goes numb till I start walking around. I seriously wondered, "Could this be normal? Should I be father along than this by now?"

This was also the week I saw my surgeon for my 1 yr post op check. X-ray was perfect, he was very happy with the way the implant looked, and as well the way I walked. So when I popped the question, "When will the stiffness and pain subside after I exercise?", I got an answer I wasn't quite expecting. The way he explained it, I was born with hips that worked perfectly - think of them as a Ferrari, he said. "Then, with the passing of decades, something goes wrong, and you needed this surgery. But I can't exactly duplicate the hip you were born with. I can give you a substitute, but it's a downgrade from the Ferrari you originally had. It won't ride the same, but it'll still get you from point A to point B." He seems to think that the point of recovery you've reached at 1 year is basically what you'll have.

I can accept that, and will gladly accept the limitations I have in place of the excruciating pain of a torn labrum and FAI, but I'm wondering if others of you may have had a longer recovery timeline. In other words, do I simply give into "this is what it is," or is there the possibility that I could still improve? At this point I am so confused as to what I should be doing exercise-wise, yet am so grateful that I am back to being able to live a fairly normal life, back at work, and enjoying every joint pain-free minute I've been given! Just wondering if I should expect to live with the limitations of activity from this point on!

I would be so grateful for any insights or input - Thanks in advance!
Robin
:flwrysmile:
 
Even at 13 months it's perfectly normal to get swelling and pain when you overdo things. And your body has let you know in no uncertain terms that it's not ready yet for that "simple" routine you put it through! Patience, patience.....complete recovery can take a couple of years for some folks. I don't think you're doomed to a life exactly as you have now by any means. But, I do think you'll be a lot more successful at getting where you want to be if you try adding exercises more slowly so your body has time to adjust. If you get pain or swelling. it's the signal to back off for a while.

You may notice that I merged your three recovery threads into one. That way if we need to go back and look at your history it will be all in one place. So, please do continue to post your updates and questions here in this thread.

Good luck....you'll get there....and hopefully prove that you may still be Ferrari Girl after all....
 
Thanks so much for your prompt and encouraging response, Jamie! (I wasn't quite sure what to do with the other postings, since I needed this one to stand out - thank you for taking care of that for me!)

Oh, how I wish there was a "one size fits all" prescriptive for how to go about incorporating more activity post operatively, even at one year! I'm so impatient, so eager to get on with life without limitations, but again, so grateful for the life I have!
Thanks again for the encouragement!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom