Guest viewing is limited

THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

As strange as it may seem, I'm nearing four months post-op (2nd THR) and I still feel a little nervous about showering when no one is home. It's definately a psychological issue because I'm walking really well now. This surgery really can have some mental/emotional side effects. I guess in time the mind will heal itself. :-)
 
@Chihuahuan - It definitely is a whole new world with these new hip joints, isn't it, Jen?! I'm not using my cane much in the house - trying to acclimated to the "feel" of this new walk does indeed take some effort! But isn't the absence of pain so wonderful?! :) Oh, the surgical discomfort will eventually diminish, but to not have that horrendous torn, shredded cartilage and bone on bone? Amazing!!! (By the way, noticing that you've had bilateral TKR, how does the whole process of post-op and recovery compare to your THR?)

@Cynthia777 - You know what I did today? Call me crazy, but I watched a total THR (posterior approach, like I had) on YouTube! (I was trying to figure out why, if I sit too long, the pain increases in the buttock area! Surely the surgeon didn't cut way back there!!!) Well, let me tell you, Cindy - it's not a wonder we come out of these surgeries needed more than a little time to heal and mend every part of us! Though I know you had anterior, just the trauma to our bodies as they do what they have to do remove those bad joints? Yikes!!!! :rolleyes:
And what's even more amazing is that in a year's time, we'll have forgotten all these post-op issues!
Hurray!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OMG @DizzyBlond ....Are you sure we're not sisters??? Just yesterday afternoon, I wondered allowed to DH about the actual surgical positioning of our bodies during this process we've submitted ourselves to. I knew they didn't use the Hanna table....which I had watched the 'dramatization' version prior to my first OS appointment. And since you and I have compared our incisions, I was curious about how they got there! Sure enough...I watched two complete videos last evening. Sure, it's a bit gory...any major surgery is....but they have to get there in order to accomplish our "magic"! And sure enough, we are propped on our 'good' side, completely draped, process begins, magic digital cameras assist, seems affected leg is manipulated manually at the right time, checked digitally, sawed, drilled, pounded, affixed, sewn together.....and now it's our job to take good care of it! And yes, it's no wonder that the healing process cannot be rushed!!! It has to be respected. - All that video overload, and I still slept like a rock last night.
 
@DizzyBlond I think my waddling walk is to do with having both knees replaced --they were done years apart. The right one has never been as strong as the left so I have lots of work to do --eventually-- to walk well. I've been compensating all over the place for a long time. I love the idea of the gym hip machines. My gym has an area like that but I need to find out which ones are okay to do and when --big question for my OS next week.
 
Post-Op Week 5
Ups and downs, as we now all know to expect. For my own reference, I'm jotting down a few more "accomplishments" that have been added this week! (Celebrate the little victories, friends - right, @BizzyLizzy??!! They all add up! :))
* Able to slip on my elastic shoe-laced sports shoes with a long shoehorn. (Haven't worn anything but slippers and sandals up until now. In case you're looking for as excellent light-weight walking shoe that comes in a huge variety of styles, I highly recommend Sketchers' Go-Walks! After all, we'll be doing a LOT of that in just a very short while, right?)
* Walker is now folded up and stored in the garage! (Can't hang clothes and other miscellany on it anymore, which is all I'd been using it for lately.)
* No need for any walking support in the house - only using the cane for added assurance when outside.
* With a low, front-loading washer and dryer, my husband has been on laundry patrol every since I got home from the hospital. Today I actually did a couple of loads WITH my reacher! It felt GREAT!
* Down to 2.5 mg Percocet at bedtime, but may end up cutting that out. The days I go to the gym to use the upright bike and other hip/thigh machines, I sometimes take a full tab, depending on how things feel that day.
* Last night I actually was comfortable sleeping on my side for part of the night (WITH a fluffy pillow between my legs) Oh, side sleeping, I've missed you!!!

It is so easy for me to read other recovery threads and think, "Wow, I should be doing that by now!" "I can't believe how quickly THAT person's recovery is going, because mine seems so slow in comparison!" That's when I have to get a grip and STOP IT!!!! It's so important that we not compare our individual recoveries with anyone else's! We're all unique, we all went into surgery with various issues and different things going on - and we're all going to heal at our own speed!

@Jaycey - Yes, definitely not for the faint-hearted! It sounds just like a woodworker's shop once the main part of the surgery gets underway!!!

@Nana2-8 - Ok, that's just CRAZY!!! We BOTH watched the surgery on the SAME DAY??? I think it actually was reassuring in a strange sort of way - there's a definite reason WHY we get tired out so quickly, why it takes as long as it does for healing to take place!! They've really done SO MUCH in those hips of ours!!!! (Plus, if we were to run into anyone who might want to make light of what we've gone through, we can simply send them the links to the surgery videos! :wink:)

@Tweetybrd - Hehe.... We won't make you watch anything more than what you've already seen in the animated version! You'll just have to take our word for it when we say it's a BIG DEAL!

@Chihuahuan - I've often wondered if recovery is from THR is made more complicated when you've had TKR surgery. Relearning correct gait after all that compensating is a big challenge for most us of - more so, I"m sure, for you, as you've been dealing with multiple issues. I hope you'll eventually be able to take advantage of the hip machines at your gym. I went yesterday, and was again amazed at how great it felt to use muscles that have taken a "leave of absence" for the past year! (I was again reminded, because we're relearning how to walk with muscles that haven't been doing what they're supposed to be doing in quite a while, it will mean some new aches and pains along the way.... but ice, rest, and the knowledge that we're strengthening what needs to get to work is well more than worth it!!!)
 
You are so right about all the variables with this surgery @DizzyBlond! Different surgeons, different surgery approaches, fitness level, different anatomies, different hip issues, different pain thresholds, different expectations and the list goes on. I think you're doing very well for five weeks and by the time we all hit a year post-op, we should all be at about the same place in our recoveries. xoxoxoxo
 
@DizzyBlond - you are doing so well! Isn't it great when you start to see the daily improvements? Well done on getting rid of the walker. The toilet seat will be next :rofsign:! Your gym sounds really good. I wish I could do something like that. I actually have a gym membership (forgot to suspend it!) so I went along a couple of weeks ago and had a one-to-one session with one of the trainers. He said it would be safe for me to do some gentle sessions on the bike, cross-trainer and treadmill, so I did go back, but I didn't really feel "ready". Walking is probably going to be best for me for a while (and it is still a huge pleasure to realise how much better I am getting at it!), but I would be very happy to have a go with gym machines just for hip patients.

I had a lovely trip to Cornwall and I'm going to update my recovery thread in a while, but I'm pretty tired after our long journey home yesterday - just wanted to pop in and cheer you on. I'm so happy to hear about all your progress! Also, congratulations on watching the video - I just couldn't do it :sick: although I would really like to see what we went through "live"! Maybe I will try again this week... Looking forward to your next update.
 
@BizzyLizzy - I think your timing was absolutely spot on, Liz. Having a rough day today - the kind where nagging pain is impossible to ignore, the physical limitations frustrating to no end, and I'm just feeling sad and sorry for myself! I definitely needed a cheer-me-up!!! We tried my first stroll down our street last evening. I had visions of walking 15 minutes out, then 15 minutes back. Unfortunately, we live on a very sloped street, and by the time we'd hit 7 mins or so, my muscles had had it. That was so discouraging! Today I'm so sore that I don't think it wise to go out and try it again, and tomorrow I have the PT gym appt. Well, so it goes!

I saw a sign on Pinterest today and wished I could post it on here. (Do you know about Pinterest?) It was a picture of a garland of lovely flowers that started flat, then went way up in the air, then dropped down again, only to come back up, go back down, etc... Underneath it said, "Healing is not linear." I need to print that and hang it somewhere where I'll see it often! I so often tend to think of healing as a steady march forward, and it's not, is it? Today's bad day will end, and I'll start with a fresh new one to begin again tomorrow... there may be hiccups, but that's what this progress is all about, isn't it?!

How great that the trainer at your gym knew which machines to recommend for THR! I have to admit, the first time on all of them was incredibly scary for me! (I kept hearing "Hip precautions!!!Hip precautions!!!" screaming in the back of my mind!) The PTs had to remind that each machine kept me well within the precautions, but it was unnerving to begin with, that's for sure! I'll only have 10 more sessions with this rehab gym, which makes me sad - but I'm hoping to be so much stronger in that amount of time.

I'm so thrilled you were able to get away for your trip to Cornwall - I can't wait to hear all about it, how you managed, how the seating in various places (including "foreign" toilets) went!!! Did you have a most wonderful time away? I hope it was exactly what your post-op recovery body needed in terms of relaxation and enjoyment, and I'll be eager to read your update!!!! xox

P.S. Double dare you to take a look at maybe even the "abbreviated" version of THR on YouTube!!! It really helps to see the reasons why recovery takes quite some time!!!! :wink:
 
I will have to take the word of the video watchers. I did good to make it through the animation on my doctor's website. Just the animation made me light headed and my palms sweaty. I kid you not. There are areas I may have foolish pride in, but I totally own being a medical weenie. WEENIE!

The good thing is, the surgical team didn't need me to know the unpleasant details in order to get their jobs done. Ha Ha I am a big proponent of education and being in charge of one's own care, but everyone has a limit.

I am grateful THR is even an option and that there are people gifted in doing it to improve lives like ours. We all have gifts to contribute to the world, and the world couldn't function if all our strengths and weaknesses were the same.

Today take a moment to celebrate unique, wonderful you. Yes, YOU! :wave:
 
I couldn't agree with you more, @Sommers16! We each know what we can, can't, and shouldn't handle! :) Being educated and having an understanding about what these surgeons are able to do help us regain our mobility is important - but WATCHING them do the actual procedure? Definitely not necessary, or even possible for everyone! I just love all things medical, and with a nursing background, am not at all queasy about watching actual surgeries.

How absolutely right you are about the fact that it's amazing that these skilled surgeons have enabled us to be free of that miserable joint pain! And yes, hurray for all the incredible gifts and talents that we each have - what a wonderful, interesting and amazing this world is because of all that goodness! xoxox
:flwrysmile:
 
@DizzyBlond Hope you are having a better day. This back and forth recovery is certainly a challenge. I find it fascinating that we are on a similar path of the ups and downs. Can't wait to see the OS tomorrow with my list of questions and copies of the research about the zinging. I slept better last night but no where near as well when I'm on "pain meds".
My goal is to be able to walk well next May when we will be on a British Isles cruise and seeing family :yes!: Have to remind myself of that when I'm feeling down. :yes:
 
Hey Lady @DizzyBlond ! Just caught up on your thread. I sure hope that today you took it easy and you have less pain. I hate to think of you still needing drugs and ice....but aren't we glad they are available? In the big picture of this whole process....we're still in "pre-K"!! And we don't graduate from "High Scool" until next July! Let's value the experience.

After going to our dinner party sarurday night, I relaxed on Sunday.....so relaxed that I wore my slippers most of the day. Made a stupid mistake backing up to the raised toilet seat! Nailed the back edge of my slipper with my cane and lurched....nearly falling....catching myself too hard with my affected leg!!! Spitting nails, I hobbled to the sofa with ice and Tylenol and babied myself the rest of the day....complete with more than a few tears rolling down my cheeks. - Anyway....all is well today....but it just reinforced the "two steps forward/one step back"!
 
@DizzyBlond - hope things are feeling better today. You are so right - this recovery process is anything but linear! My holiday was lovely - I've just updated my recovery thread. I didn't worry so much about the toilet seats, but every time we went out to eat I had to make sure that I sat in an appropriate height chair. Sometimes I had to try them all out - I felt like Goldilocks! One great thing about the place we stayed was the walk-in shower. I so wish we had one at home. It took all the fear out of the whole showering experience, not having to lift my leg high to step over the side of the bath.

I'm with @Sommers16 when it comes to the video! I did have another try (promise!) but couldn't get past about 10 seconds. I will try again, but I'm not hopeful I will make it to the end.
 
6 Week OS Post-Op Check
Anyone else notice how quickly a bad day can completely turn around in the matter of just a little time? The challenges that walking on my hilly, sloped street created in muscles that weren't ready for that kind of work were gone within the day, and by Monday, I was back on track, feeling better and better. Though I know it to be a controversial topic here on the forum, I can only speak from my own experience in regards to PT. For example, I talked to my main PT the day after my rough day of pain (from the walk on our hilly street). She said, NO!!!! Flat ground only for now - the hills hit the muscles with a double whammy assault as you go up, then down. I was pushing myself, to which she said, DON'T DO THAT!

I initially approached the whole PT thing with great apprehension, ready to bolt from the building the moment anyone asked me to do the slightest thing that hurt; but it's been such a completely different (and wonderful!) experience than what I was so afraid it might be! I'm privileged to be working in a 6-week program designed for only knee and hip joint patients. All the therapists are skilled and knowledgable in what to do with each patient and his/her particular needs. I feel fabulous as soon as I begin my session, and completely refreshed and invigorated as soon as I'm done. They cheer each small accomplishment, give encouragement when it's been a rough couple of days, and are so full of helpful information and suggestions about managing the challenges of recovery. I will so greatly miss them when my 6 weeks are up!

Saw my OS for the last time yesterday! X-rays, exam and lots of talking. Everything is great. He couldn't believe how well I was walking. (I had the cane with me, but I don't need it - he watched me walked up and down the hall cane-free, and said I was doing fantastic, not even a limp!) We discussed dislocation precautions from this point on ("You're still healing, so be wise, listen to your body... And I'll see you in a year!") I'm now free to do what my body allows me to do - side sleeping on both sides, taking out that toilet seat riser, etc. We went over in detail the x-rays, and I just had to ask him, "What did you do to me in that OR? My leg was so stiff and swollen from hip to knee!!!!!" He simply laughed and said, "You probably don't want to know what we did!!!" As I marveled at the image of this implant impaled into my femur on the xray, I told him I'd re-watched a THR on YouTube and said, "This is a pretty barbaric surgery, isn't it?" He replied that it definitely is. I then asked him why he decided to go into this line of speciality and he smiled, simply pointed at me, and said, "Because you are getting your life back." Indeed I am. Following that appt, my youngest son and 2 of my grands took me out to a quick breakfast, and then headed towards home. He decided that it might be time for me to make an appearance at my office (it's a casual atmosphere, so kids aren't a problem), so I hesitantly agreed. I walked up the flight of stairs, turned the corner and shocked everyone!!! It was so fun! Again, walking with no cane and no limp, everyone was amazed that I'd just had the top of my femur cut off 6 weeks ago!!! :-) Stayed at work for a few hours, then walked to a few other offices on the campus to see friends I haven't seen in months - I couldn't believe I was doing it! (And I was walking pain-free!!!!!! :happydance:) My husband came to pick me up, and told me it was time for me to start driving! So behind the driver's wheel I got for the first time - I'm getting freedom back! HURRAY! It was amazing! Oh, I was exhausted by the time I got home, to be sure, but I haven't felt so normal and healthy and free of pain in a long, long time!!!! A day that reminded me that though there are sure to be some bumps in the road ahead, "normal" is getting more and more visible on the horizon!

@Chihuahuan - I saw that your OS agreed with your diagnosis!! Way to go, Jen! Hope the Lyrica continues to do the trick, and that you've been having some better days (and nights!). A cruise through the British Isles and visiting family? Sounds absolutely amazing!!! And you've got a good amount of time till then to take it easy, heal and work on walking!!!! (I take it you're from the UK? How did you end up in New Mexico? Wow - what a contrast in weather and climate!!!!!)

@Nana2-8 - Oh no!!!!!! Almost falling (or anything else that jolts our freshly-healing joints) is absolutely frightening!!!! I'm so glad you were able to rest, ice and Tylenol it back to health in a short amount of time! Yes, pretty soon we'll graduate from pre-K and head towards the "big kids'" class! :-) By the way, I'm still doing ice because it just feels great - and I'm still trying to get residual swelling down. No more pain meds - have been off for all prescription pain meds for a week, and doing great on ibuprofen alternating with tylenol. THAT feels GREAT!!!!!!

@BizzyLizzy - So glad your trip was wonderful, Liz, right down to the inclusion of a walk-in shower! (Maybe you've just gained yourself a new nickname - you do indeed have golden locks! :wink:) I've recently started watching "The Great British Baking Show," which, as I'm guessing you already know, is filmed in various places throughout the UK, if I'm not mistaken. Oh, how my eyes drink in the luscious greenery, the darling sheep (that have been highlighted in the first few episodes I've seen), and oh, how those bakers bake!!!!!!!! I don't remember the location (which they announced at the start of the show), but it did make me wonder if Cornwall (or your own city!) looked like that!
P.S. If I were you, I'd forget trying to view an actual THR ever again! You've got so many other important things to do! What matters is that you've had it, and you're the thankful recipient of modern medicine's ability to take care of angry, agonizing hip joints! And that's what counts! :-)
 
@DizzyBlond What a great report. :yes!:
I had a really good day when I saw my OS also -- sadly it did not continue and nerve issue feels overwhelming at times. The positive is that I know those days will become more frequent as time goes by.
I'm also a great PT proponent -- my experiences have always been positive and I'm looking forward to my appointment on Friday.
The info that came with the Lyrica freaked me out so I'm going to see my family doc before I take it -- I am medication sensitive so am very cautious about such things. I also want the PT to see the problem with no meds.
Hope things continue to go well. :flwrysmile: Jen
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom