THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

Hello @DizzyBlond I had one THR in 2014 and the other in 2015.. so one year out on one hip and two years out on the other. I am just now feeling less stiffness... bending over to pick up things off the floor the first year was AGONY for me... I would actually question picking up what I dropped before picking it up it was so uncomfortable. Getting up out of a chair is just NOW starting to feel better... The first year or two I sat in my TV chair with three pillows so I had less of a getting up motion which hurt so bad..

I attributed the pain and discomfort to stiff muscles and ligaments... I have to say, I started a walking program about 5 months ago.. I walk for about 45- 60 minutes each day with my walking buddy Golden Retriever Lola. :dogwalk:Since starting the daily walks... my hips have improved DRAMATICALLY!!. Just walking on flat, hills ( up and down) nothing strenuous... but just using my bionic knees and hips seems to be the answer. You need to USE THEM. :biking:

I hope this gives you some idea of the time frame. I think the hips( like my knees) just need to heal totally. I am going on my fourth year with my two new knees and they are doing better today then ever since having them replaced. It took three full years to really feel the difference with no pain, no inflammation at all. The hips also probably really need a few two or three years to heal completely. Mine keep improving with each day.

As far a shoes. I usually only go about one inch in the heal. Nothing higher. Not so much for discomfort of wearing a taller shoe, but, I do not ever want to trip or fall. I value these replacement joints much more than my vanity!

Best of luck to you in your healing journey! How wonderful we are blessed to be able to have this wonderful surgery to give us back our lives so we can do the things we love to do.:SUNsmile: Joan
 
@sharonslp - Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience! So, in your situation as a student (with prolonged sitting) you still deal with stiffness after these few years post-op? Though I realize we're all going to have individual experiences, I guess I thought that at some point certain "reminders" of the THR would begin to go away. I'm so happy that it's not any hindrance to you! I did get rid of all my higher heels before surgery, but held onto a few of my kitten heels, just in case - but like you, I'm ready to ditch them all if necessary - nothing compares to being able to finally walk without grinding joint pain!

@skigirl - I appreciate you input so much! Because I live in a very mild climate, I've been able to get away with sandals and flats since the time of my labral tear last summer - I'd had no joint issues up to that point, so I didn't have a long period of time trying to attempt normal life, walking bone on bone. I stopped leaving the house last March because of my inability to walk, so I don't think my shoes had the chance to develop any "wearing" patterns that reflected my limp. I've only worn sandals since surgery - so far, no problems. But if needs be, I will definitely go purchase some new shoes! So happy you've had no issues and are able to wear any style of shoe you like!!! Yay!!!!

@Wrknitout - Hi, Brenda! Having a great time on vacation - though I once again "decided" that I was feeling well enough to push it. :bignono: Spent yesterday laid out on the bed, icing and elevating. Ugh.... Thankfully today I'm feeling some improvement, and tomorrow should be even better. I'm finding that even though I'm comfortable while sitting, I need to make myself get up and move. Otherwise everything tightens up so much. (Right now I've got my timer on my phone set for every 30 mins. Then I get up and take a stroll!) Isn't it strange to think about all things we've so taken for granted? All the shoes we've just slipped into prior to surgery we'll now have to reconsider! A very small price to pay, right, friend?! :yes!:

@Jillians - I'm so glad your surgery is over and you're now on your way to recovery!!!! Yes, thinking about what shoes to keep, what shoes to get rid of, and what our new hips will allow us to wear is going to be interesting, isn't it!?!?! Hope you're feeling stronger and stronger as the weeks pass! xoxox

@gazelle7777 - So grateful that you took time to share here! Stiffness is just one of the expected side effects of surgery, I'm taking it! How interesting that you've found it lessening as you've gotten more active! Did your OS have you doing any PT post-op? There is a small gym connected to my hospital, with machines and therapists working with only knee and hip patients. It's a 6-week program designed to assist you to get up and moving, first gently stretching and getting you accustomed to the new joint, then gradually introducing more movement. I am taking to heart your experience, Joan, and I'm going to follow your advice and keep that new joint working!!! (At this point in my recovery sometimes I just don't feel like it! ;-)
Like you, even if I were to be able to wear them comfortably, I decided before my surgery that I didn't want to chance any possible fall due to my higher heels, so I gave them all away - kept the lower ones, but haven't attempted to wear them at the early stage of the healing process.
How encouraging to read how you're now able to fully enjoy life, that you're moving everyday with your sweet Lola, and still improving all the time! Your post reminds me that I desperately need to be more patient! I'm keeping myself moving (in little bits, with the plan to slowly increase the amount of walking), but still encountering bad days when I push too hard. My wonderful OS, his staff and the PT staff are so good to remind me I'm very early in on the recovery process. But how right you are - how incredibly blessed we are to have access these surgeries that give us back our lives!!! Thanks again Joan, as well as for the wishes of good luck!!!! xox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Robin, do keep in mind that just because you continue to have stiffness, it doesn't mean it's due to surgery. I have osteoarthritis. While it's my hips that were the squeaky wheel needing attention, I have arthritis in other places. My low back for sure. My hands for sure. My feet for sure. My knees....they were xrayed after my THRs and no signs of arthritis. And yet they stiffen up a lot. Soft tissue issues....we are in our 60s....muscles aren't what they used to be. So when I have stiffness, I just feel that it's par for the course. If I'm underactive, it shows up. If I'm overactive, it shows up. That sweet spot where I feel great without a twinge anywhere....some days are like that. But some days aren't.

But whether I can wear heels or not; whether I have other issues or not; whether stiffness can be really annoying sometimes or not.....NONE of this matters. Because you know what? This surgery gave me back a full life. I can walk with such great pleasure. I can travel. I can play with my granddaughters. I can dance...Oh Joy, I can dance!

Give yourself at least a full year for full healing....and for us older ones, maybe up to two. If you can't wear your kitten heels in a few months, put them away and try again. And again. And again. Just don't be foolish...don't injure yourself over fashion. Of course you know that.....we women would NEVER be foolish like that. :heehee:

Sharon
 
@sharonslp - An excellent explanation of the aches and pains that come with the privilege to have lived this many years!!! :) Yes, you are SO right!!!!!! There are symptoms of wear and tear in various parts of our bodies at this point in time, and yes, come to think of it, before I had the labral tear I do remember feeling stiff if sitting on the floor with the grands, or remaining in one position for too long. My hip joints weren't at all bad from an arthritic standpoint (saw 3 different OS guys, and none of them was eager to replace the joint UNTIL the labrum just shredded and I was finally bone on bone), so my situation was perhaps a bit different. But now that you mention it, YES, it makes so much sense that there will unavoidable (yet manageable) physical discomforts here in our 60's! And I simply couldn't agree with you more - as healing continues, the bad days becoming fewer and farther between, the small inconveniences that might remain will be completely worth the life that I can now lead because I can now walk again!!!! There is no price to put on THAT gift!!!!!!
Thanks so much for the encouragement about being realistic in terms of the healing timeframe, by the way! It doesn't help when someone mentioned to me earlier today that Lara Spencer of Good Morning America is back on the show at, I believe, 4 weeks post-op! So here I sit on ice at 8 weeks post op, thinking, "What's wrong with me?" I make the mistake of comparing myself to anyone and everyone! :unsure: I much needed your sweet reminder! And yes, we women would NEVER choose fashion over wisdom, would we?!?!?! :wink: xoxox
 
I'm thinking already of getting a small soft heeled shoe from Clarkes that I have seen for when I return to work if all's well. They are so comfy and there is a slight, slight platform built into the sole covered so the heel is actually on level with the sole, if you know what I mean. I am so thankful to get my life back one day in the future having been in so much pain, and I am not over fully shoe and fashion conscious, but hate flats! Sorry.
 
After being in a running club for many and the wear and tear on my hips, I lived in trainers they are so comfortable, but liked a low heel to go out in. I would not wear high in case I tripped and done even more damage. The same applies with my new hip!
 
@DizzyBlond Hi hip-buddy! Just wondering how you are doing on your vacation. One of the downs of living in a desert is the ability to easily visit the ocean :sigh: I'm still zinging away but dealing with it a little better than I was. My mind feels closer to normal -- back to my normal crossword doing speed.
Have fun. Jen
 
Just finally got caught up on your thread. You sound soooooo good! I hope your vacation is wonderful. Where on the coast are you?

5 days post op and just cruising along. At the point where the newness and the adrenaline is gone, but I know there is such a long way left to go. Your vacation reminded me of our wonderful time on the CA coast. I think when I get down, I will go scroll through those pics.

Oh, was there as specific surgery video you watched on you tube? I'm curious and not easily grossed out. Now that it's behind me, I'd love to see what was done.
 
9 weeks post-op!

Back from the coast last Friday, life is feeling more and more normal! My biggest dilemma at this point is trying to find the balance between what is too much activity vs. what is not enough. Stiffness is my greatest enemy now - and the right amount of movement keeps me flexible.

We had a lovely time in a beautiful place while on vacation, but on the first day when I went to the gym I learned an important lesson: KNOW the equipment you're working on. I was finished with my slow and comfortable 10 mins on the treadmill, powered it off, but continued to stand on it as I was talking to my husband on the machine next to me. For some reason it started up again while I wasn't expecting it, and I was jolted off the back end! :oyvey:The next day was spent laying down and on ice due to pain - I'm guessing freshly operated hips don't particularly appreciate hard landings! Started to feel better within a day, so we attempted a drive down the cliiffs to one of my favorite little spots for breakfast right on the sand, just feet from the water. Unfortunately you can only drive so far, so my husband dropped us off as close as he could get us, and then, thankfully, they had beach wheelchairs (with huge inflated wheels to accommodate the sand). Once again, I foolishly, uncautiously (and hurriedly!) climbed onto this interesting contraption, feeling muscles and making movements that I knew I'd pay for later! We were able to enjoy a great breakfast on the water, but by that afternoon, I knew trouble was brewing once again... another day down and on ice. Ugh! I decided to simply rest the remaining few days (the guys were out golfing, and my girlfriend had some errands to run and work to catch up on) - I was pretty discouraged by the time we got home Friday afternoon.

Then it occurred to me, besides the 2 incidents where I was aware of the actions that caused the pain, what if the issue at this point wasn't that I needed more rest and ice, but maybe, just maybe what those tight muscles needed was some consistent movement and stretching out? So once we got home and settled, I decided to walk 1/4 mile on flat ground. It felt good, it was easy, so a couple of hours later, I went out and did another 1/4 mile (measuring on my phone app) - by the time the day was done, I'd almost covered a mile. I've been doing this every day since, and I'm noticing my pain decreasing. I suppose anything can change, but for the time being, I'm encouraged! Reminded of the 3-6 months for short term healing, to know that I've come this far in 2 months is a great feeling!

No, recovery is not quite what I expected it to be. For some reason I thought that once I got that joint removed and taken care of that surgical recovery would be a piece of cake! It's been harder work than I expected; recovery has been slower in coming than I anticipated, and it's been easy to get very discouraged at times. So a wiser me would tell anyone to prepare for a long, perhaps not easy post-op time... and if you happen to be one of the lucky ones who bounces back into life after a few weeks, count yourself as incredibly blessed! (Though I STILL count myself incredibly blessed! I can walk! No grinding pain! No sleepless nights due to a screaming joint! Blessed, indeed!!!!)

@Cynthia777 Thank you so much, C.C. - you are so sweet! We did have a lovely time away, despite the few bad days I encountered. We all went into this trip realizing I was still pretty freshly post-op, so no one expected much of me, the weather was perfect, and the coast? Well, we desert-dwellers know there's no place like the ocean for some cool, wonderful refreshment!! :-)

@Chihuahuan You're so kind to be checking up on me, Jen! We did have a great time at the beach! Living in the deserts of SoCal puts us closer to the coast than you, but you're right - I doubt anyone appreciates cool ocean breezes and salty, fresh sea air the way those of us living in dry, arid places do! So sorry that zinging is persisting, but glad to hear that it's improved a bit. May every month find you zinging less and less!!!! I know what you mean about thinking more clearly at this point in time! Even though I've been off pain meds for weeks and weeks, I've still felt weak and woozy at times. But I've noticed too that I'm thinking more clearly, more quickly, and able to engage in conversations at a quick pace. I'm easing my way back into work; had to be on my feet to conduct a 2-hour meeting last night! It's been over 7 months since I've been able to do that - how great it was to be able to stand for that long without that horrible hip pain! How's your driving going? I feel so fortunate that because it was my left hip, I've had no issues with driving (once my head felt clear enough to do so!), and now I'm driving all over the place.

@OUCH! I need to go check and see if you have any new updates on your recovery thread, Carol Anne! You were doing amazingly well the last time I checked! How has it been being home with the boys and the animals? (And I'm assuming the leg scratch never became an issue?) We stayed at some friends' condo on Newport Coast/Crystal Cove. It's a far difference stretch of beach than what you saw on your vacation, but it's only 45 mins from our house. (I far prefer the northern CA beaches, to be honest. A whole different vibe than So Cal.) As far as the surgery I watched on YouTube, no, no particular one... in fact, I viewed several. All of them were fascinating! I never watched the anterior approaches, simply because I was a lateral/posterior. But I'll tell you, it gives you a fresh appreciation for what has just happened to your body, as well as further explanation as to why you hurt in all the places you hurt post-op! :wink:
 
Hey, my fellow hip buddy! So happy to have you back among the hippies! If you're at 9 weeks, I must be at 8 weeks. I say that because I am not even keeping track anymore. Maybe, if someone comes right out and asks....then, I have to pause and think. Isn't it wonderful to be getting on in life? - I had one of those wonderful "Nana" days again today...for which I am so grateful. Got to bring lunch to school and stay....then the teacher allowed me to join their class for a nice while. What a treat! And it doesn't end there! We get to go to the younger ones Open House tonight....she's so proud of it! I. The meantime, I am having a few "on last time' lunches before we depart for the south....and trying to figure out how to get the car packed and ready to go. I am ALWAYS the one to fill every last corner....this year I will have to 'stand and point". A novel undertaking for me. --- Not to worry.....I'll be in touch! Keep up the great work! Xxoo
 
So lovely to hear how well you're getting on - and you too @Nana2-8.

On the exercise scene, when my OS popped by just before I was discharged his simple advice was to listen to my body, and that's clearly what you're doing. Hurting is not part of the agenda - we're not some athletes training for a triathlon, just simple souls giving our body (and new spare parts) a chance to repair gradually.

Holidays sound like huge fun and such a great reward after being cooped up. Happy healing!
 
@Nana2-8 Hi, stranger! How great to hear from you, and that you've been able to spend these last few days with your precious grands!! Yes, it IS wonderful to be able to begin participating in normal life again! I've probably been more cautious than you (I wonder if your particular surgery gave you an easier recovery, because you haven't seemed to have struggled as much I have), but knowing that tomorrow I can drive 20 minutes away to pick up one of my sweet grands and then enjoy the rest of the afternoon with her (something I haven't done since February!!!) is a reason to celebrate!!! The simplest things of life that pain so disrupted prior to surgery are now SO appreciated!!! I think that sweet little 8 year old and I will spend the afternoon decorating the house for fall! :-)

@Miss Muffet As you've probably seen my post on your thread by now, I've just read of all the unwanted pre-op issues. I was so sorry you've had to concern yourself with these other things while preparing for surgery next week. May the medications work their magic, resolve the condition, and may your pre-op appt go smoothly, nothing hindering or holding up your surgery a week from today!!
Oh, listening to our bodies... it's the key, isn't it? I've never been an avid athlete, but once I'm up and covering that 1/4 mile 3-4 times a day, I realize once again what a gift it is to be able to do so without that horrible joint pain! All in moderation, I have to remind myself! Slow and steady!
Can't wait to see what it will be like for you to enjoy 2 new hips! You'll be in my thoughts throughout the coming days! xox
 
You should be SO proud of your progress - and so should @Nana2-8. Standing and pointing has always been my forte (I take credit for the garden when Mr M does all the grunt) Being able to be regain that involvement with the Grandees is the best treat. I just cannott explain to a 2 year old why it isn'tt possible to pick him up. That yearning look on his face and arms outstretched breaks my heart. I'm much better since Hip #1, but really do need Hip #2 to balance me up and get me back to full strength. Onwards Ladies!
 
Hi Robin, Just stopping by to say hi. I am glad you are doing well. I think the little setbacks here and there will be with us for a while. It is so hard to know just how much to do even when listening to our bodies. I do think I feel a little better and definitely less stiff when I am moving more. The trick is knowing when to stop. It sounds like your driving quite a bit again. I haven't done that yet. I don't like to drive it makes me a little nervous I don't have the best eye sight. I don't see out of my right eye. I probably wouldn't care for it much even if I did . I am gonna have to suck it up pretty soon and get behind the wheel. People are going to get tired of carting me around even though my hubby is pretty used to it. I think you are very blessed to be so close to the coast. I have only been to the Oregon coast and just love it. Good job on getting out there and walking daily that is awesome. Hugs .
 
@Miss Muffet - Oh, how I love your attitude, Jane! :-) I haven't been on the forum for a few days - I guess that's what happens when healing continues and you begin living life with a little twist of normalcy! Isn't a wonderful thought to realize that in a few months you'll actually be able to invite that sweet little grand up on your lap?? I'll be hopping over to your thread in a few minutes to see how things are going! Prayers going up and fingers crossed that all continues to be well! I'm going to pop on over to your thread to check up on you in just a moment!

@Wrknitout - So nice to hear from you, Brenda! Yes, healing (which I really never thought was going to be arriving!) is coming, slowly but surely - and as you said, knowing the balance is key! How much activity is the right amount? Do I wait to cross the line and FEEL that I've overdone it when everything seems to be going ok? One of the physical therapists told me for some activities it might be helpful to consider upping it by 10% a week if you're handling it OK. I am back to driving normally - all over the place, on the freeway, etc. I totally understand your hesitation, esp given other challenges that might make it difficult. Maybe just a trip around the block, or having your husband drive to an empty parking lot where you can practice backing up, etc., will help build your confidence, just if it's enough for you to drive to the grocery store and back.
Yes, we live exactly 45 mins from the ski resorts and 45 mins from the ocean! (Of course, where I live is hot and desert-like, so I don't daily get to enjoy the cool ocean air or the beautiful, forested mountains. LOL!) But when you've been through what we've gone through (and realize there are so many people going through so many much worse things that recovering from a THR!), the smallest things are the biggest blessings, aren't they!?!?! I'm taking NOTHING for granted these days!!!
How is your activity, walking, movement, etc., going theses days, Brenda? Hope each week is finding you stronger and stronger!!!
Much love!!! xoxox
 
@Cynthia777 - How quickly time is flying now that I'm up and "running" again, CC! (Well, maybe not actually running, but getting back into the swing of life!) Thank you so, so much for dropping in! I've thought of you so often in the past few weeks - how much I relied on your continued encouragement through this whole ordeal, and how often you helped settle my nerves and calm me down when I felt certain something was wrong or that I wasn't recovering quickly enough! I don't know how I can thank you enough! xoxo
After the early weeks of wondering if and when regular life (or any semblance of it!) would return, it's amazing to realize that it has indeed reappeared! I finished my 6-week PT program today, and will be heading to the local gym net week to continue enjoying movement that I haven't had in a very long time! I'll have to go there to walk because the hills are too steep for me in the neighborhood - having access to a treadmill, an upright bike, etc. (and, hey, I might as well address the upper body and arms while I'm at it :heehee:) just seems like the best way for me to keep getting stronger at this point in time. True to everything I've read here on the forum, the very best exercise I've found is walking. (I've been measuring my steps by walking around our flat backyard - and as soon as I consistently started doing that multiple times a day (WHEN the muscles were ready!), I really began to notice a change; decreasing pain, increased endurance... it's been great! I can't believe that just 2 days ago a friend and I grabbed a quick lunch, then went shopping for - get this - 3 1/2 hours!!!!! I am now a firm believer that the physical therapy of simple walking AND retail therapy are an excellent combination!!! :)
How are things up in the high desert? I hope the evenings are beginning to cool down a bit - I'm guessing you're about as ready as I am for some true autumn weather!!! Boots, wooly scarves and fires in the fireplace - bring them on!!! This will be your first fall/winter without hip pain, won't it?!?! I'm just thinking about how delightful it will be to not have to try to manage these next busy 3 months without contending with the misery of grinding pain!
And what about the wedding plans? Are you in full planning mode, or do you have a while before all of that fun, crazy, joyful business kicks in? I'm praying you and your beautiful daughter will make a lifetime of wonderful memories through it all!!!

Sending you much love, praying all is well!!!
xxoxoxo
 
What a :goodpost:
You are doing fabulous my friend...I couldn't be happier for you! Yes, FINALLY the evenings are beginning to cool down and I just can't wait to start wearing my winter wear again. I get so tired of the hot weather and look forward to the rain we never get! :heehee:
We just had my daughter's engagement party and I'm so happy that part is past us. I'm not much of an entertainer and much prefer business dealings that social events. Strange but true. :-). Gina (my daughter) will be getting married towards the end of May, so I've got a little respite before all the planning and preparations begin again.
You have been a great addition to the BS family and have been so supportive of so many of our family members. We all are so grateful to you.
xoxoxo...CC
 
13 weeks post-op tomorrow!
More and more good days, good nights of sleep, and I'm so thankful for a surgery that has given me the ability to be up and about again without joint pain!! I'm beginning to worry when I get hit by bad days, so I'm asking all my wonderful BoneSmarties to chime in and give me your 2 cents about recovery and set-backs. How can it be that I have several great days (some stiffness if I sit too long, but a few steps into walking that goes away), but then get hit by a really bad day requiring rest and ice?

I had such a wonderful day last Friday preparing for one of my grand's birthday party at the house; up on my feet all day baking, cleaning, decorating and then entertaining a houseful that night. No pain. The next day I was still feeling good until the pain began late afternoon. Woke up today (2 days after all the activity) and everything was so tight and painful, even felt like the muscles were spasming. Ice and rest brought relief, but I'm curious....
How long can one expect set-backs? Is this all just par for the course? Am I still considered to be in the "early days" of recovery?
:sick:
 
Went running around and kicking a ball with the kids the other day. My body reminded me what I did to it that evening, but was fine the next day. The problem is that we feel so good, we over do it easily. Although o don't think about my hip often anymore, I have to keep myself aware of it so that I don't push too far. It happens, but our bodies remind us in their own ways.

I've been told it takes around 3 months to get to 90% recovered and up to a year for the last 10%. That last 10 is the occasional stiffness and bad day I guess.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom