Guest viewing is limited

THR Looking for input from those who are 1 yr+ post op

Good morning, @DizzyBlond ! Cloudy, low 70s, threat of rain here.....and where is hubby? Headed to golf course!! As to how many steps around our court....good question....10 homes...2 lane driveways each...all I can say is it's enough to wear me out when circled twice! - The procedure I had was the SuperPath, or superior. It's my understanding there are two incisions (guess I'll find out Monday when they remove the 'Saran wrap' coverings and the dressings). Why I became a candidate for this method, I'll try to remember to ask....which means, add it to my growing list of questions!!
You're so right....I hope we look back at this journey and smile at all our various concerns....when did I take the last pill...when can I take the next....is it too much?....will my bowels cooperate...can I handle the shower...will I slip...can I do this myself and not have to ask DH yet again..... All the worries will eventually be behind us....and we can celebrate!!! Get your dancing shoes ready for our Christmas Rockettes performance!! @Miss Muffet , and @BizzyLizzy are our leaders!!!
 
@Nana2-8 I have two incisions also. One is for an endoscope so they can see what is going on. Also had no bruising at all. Had a little swelling initially but don't think I could distinguish it from thigh flab (thanks Mom).
@DizzyBlond My two-hr excursion yesterday worked out well as the only real walking was at Tuesday Morning. Had not even thought about toilet heights and thankfully did not need to "go". I became quite chilled after we got home and slept for two hours after lunch --still lots of healing going on. I keep trying to reduce the Percoset but the thigh nerve zingies do not like the cut back. Just have to be patient.....
 
@Miss Muffet - I immediately went to Amazon and found quite an assortment of Shewees! What a fabulous idea!! I read some of the reviews, most of which said to definitely try this at home first! I am thoroughly impressed by the entire concept (just think of the horrible restrooms one can come across when traveling!), and I think I'll be ordering myself one! (I just might be partial to the purple one!) Did you know they can be purchased with a discreet carrying case? Not small enough to tuck into a pocket, but not a problem as I usually carry a large enough purse that would easily accommodate another additional item! Even if it's only once in a blue moon that I might need it, I think it's a super invention and a very smart thing to have on hand!!! Thanks so much for mentioning it, Jane! xo

@Nana2-8 - Good afternoon, my friend! Oh, what lovely weather you're enjoying!!! Need I tell you that I'll be indoors for the next 5-6 days as the temperature won't be dipping below 100? I'm pacing up and down the hallways of the house during the day, and I suppose my outside strolls will have to wait for evening in the moonlight - perfect for tripping! :unsure:
It sounds like you're really covering some distance there in your neighborhood, Kathy! Good for you! Isn't it SO difficult to know how far to go, how much to push? A little walk feels like not enough; so then a longer walk puts us right back on ice and rest! Well, this too shall pass - but it sure is nice to commiserate with everyone who is or has gone through the same thing! I think I'm going to look up the Super Path approach to find out more. Where abouts are your incisions (as far as you can tell under the dressings)? I can't wait to hear what your OS has to say - be sure to take all those questions in!! And I seriously CANNOT WAIT for our Christmas Rocketts extravaganza! My special dancing shoes will be shiny, polished and ready - can't wait for @BizzyLizzy and @Miss Muffet to schedule our first rehearsal! :heehee:

@Chihuahuan - How interesting that you, too, have two incisions. What approach did your OS use? The first time home health care removed my dressing to check the incision, I handed her my phone and asked her if she'd mind taking a picture of it for me since I was having a hard time seeing it. (She said patients ask all the time!) Since I had posterior/lateral approach, I couldn't twist around to see it. I was surprised at how short the incision actually was, but there was another very small incision just up and to the right that was also stapled. Asking my OS about it at my post-op, he said that was where there had been a drain, although it had been removed before I was sent to recovery. (No scope that I'm aware of... but who knows what all they do in there while we're asleep! :wink:)
I'm thrilled that you're up and out in public! I'm nervous about that! One of my sons came by to visit this morning and said he's taking me out in the next week - he's a busy guy, so we'll see, but it was so kind of him to even think to mention the possibility. After a shower, make-up and a visit with him and two of the grands this morning, I was exhausted! They headed out the door, and I headed straight to bed with an ice pack! I've decided to stick with the Percocet when I wake up, then again mid-afternoon, and then keep with the half tab at bedtime. Next week, if all goes as planned, I'll try cutting the afternoon dose in half, as well. But you're so right - this will all be sorted out in due time! If we need it now, we need it! Have a lovely weekend, Jen! :SUNsmile:
 
@DizzyBlond I read my surgery notes when I saw GP earlier in the week. They mentioned how much blood was lost and how much recycled using the cell-saver. I wonder if my smaller incision was to do with that?
I get tired quickly also and do the bed and ice routine. I'm still on an every six hr Percoset dosage -- today I've tried full tab (5/325) at 7:30 am; 1/2 tab plus two 500 mg Tylenol at 1:30 pm; then will do full tab at 7:30 pm; and 1/2 tab plus two 500 mg Tylenol at about 1:30 am. That keeps me within the Tylenol max. I tried just using 1 Tylenol and it was not enough pain control. If this works I'll do it for several days and see how it goes.
Hoping for a short walk in the morning as it will be cool. Jen
 
So glad if that helped. Not a bad item to have in the arsenal (as well as discreet and inexpensive) for those "just in case" moments :scaredycat:
 
@Chihuahuan - Jen, that's how the nurse explained the "drain hole" - she said something about the recycling of my blood/fluids back into the body, which evidently greatly reduces the need for transfusions. Isn't it wonderful to think of a day not too far from now when we'll be done with pain meds? (And again, thank goodness the pain is surgical in nature - no more grindy, miserable joint pain!)

@Miss Muffet - EXACTLY!!!! :thankyou:
 
@DizzyBlond I just wanted to say hi and see how things are going. I have read your thread but, I was just wondering how your last week has been. We both had the same approach mine is posterior lateral also. Forgive me if I missed it but, do you sleep on your side that was not operated on? I was told I could by my OS and do with a thick pillow between my legs. I do have all the other precautions though. I have not ventured out yet but, will Thursday for my first OS appointment since the surgery. I wish he would tell me I could safely forego all of the precautions but, somehow I doubt that will be the case :). Oh well, one step at a time, one day at a time and each in our own time. I hope you are feeling awesome. Hugs.
 
4 Weeks Post-Op
Well, here I am, impatient and not progressing as quickly as I had determined to do prior to surgery! But I read it here on BS before my THR, and I've reread it several times since: The recovering hip is calling the shots now! I can't push it, I can't force it, and the best thing I can do is cooperate and let the healing process take place! After reading more about the recovery period for Anterior and Super Path approaches, I now understand why my posterior/lateral recovery has taken longer and has been more uncomfortable than some of the other recoveries I've been reading about! I do keep remembering hearing somewhere that at about 6 weeks it will all even out, and I'll come out of all of this with exactly what I needed - a badly-damaged hip joint removed, and the freedom to walk, play with the grands, work, shop and have my life back again!!!

Teds are now gone!! Anyone who's had to contend with those lovely white stockings will remember the sense of total freedom and exhilaration that comes when you taken those babies off for the very last time! YIPPEE!!! :yahoo: I duct-taped a disposable razor onto a dressing stick (which came in a one of those "hip kits"), and SHAVED MY LEGS! Another fabulous feeling!!!!!! (Now to firgure out how to do my nails!) Stopped the Warfarin yesterday, and can now get back to the supplements I have missed for the past 6 weeks!!! Looks like normal life is beginning to slowly make its way back! HURRAY!!!!

Using the walker less and less, the cane more and more, and find myself sometimes even taking a few steps without anything, forgetting that I probably need to be holding onto something! Guess that means my leg is getting stronger! (Hard to believe that just 4 weeks ago today I was contending with the "log leg!") All the muscles feel very tight - from hip, thigh, inner leg, to sometimes even the back of my knee at times. Makes me wonder, wow, what all did they actually do to me in that OR??? :heehee: But progress is undeniable, even if needed to be measured in smallest of increments - and progress of any sort is something to be celebrated!!!!

@Chihuahuan - Jen, THANK YOU!!! This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of as thoughts of the upcoming vacation and what to bring have been filling my thoughts! I'll be ordering one from Amazon today!!!!!!

@Wrknitout - Hi, Brenda! I need to hop on over to your thread to see how things are going with you and your recovery process! Yes, we both had the same approach, but unlike you, I wasn't give the green light for side sleeping. (I've actually becoming quite a pro at sleeping on my back, I'm surprised to say!) I'm sure I'll be in full dislocation precaution mode for the full time, too. It's getting easier with each passing week. (Wish I could say each passing day, but it goes a lot slower than that, so it seems!) I'm doing ok - I'll have a few good days, then out of the blue (and I'm sure due to some sort of movement or too much walking that I was unaware of), a couple of bad days will hit. Being reminded by so many on here that it's all part of the natural progression of things has helped me so much during those low times! My OS insists on his patients being evaluated and assessed by PT - that appointment is this coming Friday. I'm a bit apprehensive, because I really don't want to deal with an over-zealous therapist who is going to have a different approach to healing than what I feel is right... But I refuse to worry about it until it's time to actually deal with what it's going to be!
Best of luck on your first outing tomorrow - I'll be looking forward to hearing everything your OS has to say! (And if you beat me to the "no more dislocation precautions" finish line, I'm going to be jealous!!!!! ;-) Hope you're resting comfortably and icing, icing, icing!!!!!! xoxox
 
@DizzyBlond Yay! Glad you got rid of the TEDS. I am not looking forward to those things. LOL
You are so inventive with the razor and dressing stick. It made me smile. :).
I know you are getting impatient and wished you were progressing sooner but don't push it. Let your body heal in its own time. I am definitely paying more attention to the recovery process because of a few things you have said in your posts about only thinking about the surgery. I want to give myself permission to take it easy and heal for as long as I need too. (I'm sure this will be easier to think about now then to actually do after surgery)

I had wondered when we could go back to taking the vitamins and supplements. So we can not take them while still taking the drug to prevent the blood clots? I take a bunch of vitamins and was thinking they would help with healing and energy after surgery. :(

Hang in there. Soon you will be doing all the stuff you want to. Hugs
 
@DizzyBlond - congratulations on being TED-free and getting off the Warfarin. You are really progressing. Also sounds as if mobility is improving steadily. And shaving your legs! WELL DONE YOU! 4 weeks is no time at all, and you're right, 6 weeks seems to be a bit of a milestone for improvement. I'm 8 weeks now and progress has probably slowed down a bit, but I'm not complaining. I'm still grateful every day that the surgery is behind me and the horrible pre-op pain has gone. I have my follow-up with the OS tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it - it's so different to how I felt going into the hospital 8 weeks ago.
 
@DizzyBlond - yay!!!! Let's celebrate the little things....ditching the TEDS!!! I don't know about you, but I couldn't put those things on myself. In which case, I was/am constantly reminded of my dependence rather than gaining independence.

Let's start a Gratitude list!!! Things other than the required equipment (walkers, cane, TEDS, raised toilet seats) and other than the care and attention of loved ones/friends. I'll start....ranking high on the list is my hi-cut leg, cotton underwear....no elastic near the incision!!! My home-made, soft, color coded ice packs in various sizes....those were a god-send! My morning-noon-evening-nighttime pill case. DH put himself in charge of not only sorting out the various pills, but dispensing them.....especially early in the process when I continually asked "what day is this?" . Thank goodness for my friend who came to the rescue with a TV tray whereupon I could reach everything necessary without breaking my precautions. And, last, but not least, (I'm sure I'll think of more) I'm grateful that I ignored the orders to remove my nail polish....both on my hands, but more important, on my toes.....it's just a feminine thing.

Anyone else? Want to add to the list?
 
I fell in love with my sock gadget. Still value it!
Well how about recycling the TEDs? Tie a knot in the bottom, fill them with soil, cut out small holes and insert plug plants, then add a string hanger at the top and dangle them from your balcony.
Maybe tie-dye them first to add a little interest?
Makes good use of something we previously detested :rotfl:?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Robin , I hope your evaluation with the PT went well today. Looking forward to hearing about it. I hope that it was not uncomfortable for you in any way. Congrats on ditching the Teds you will be so much more comfortable and just feel more "normal". I am looking so forward to shaving my legs. I got the okay to do so and it is on the agenda for the weekend when the hubby is home. I like your idea with the shaver and if hubby is scaring me when he tries to help me shave my lower legs I will probably give it a whirl. I don't mean to be bragging lol but, I did not have to wear teds after this surgery. I was pleasantly surprised when I found this out. The OS told me I could sleep on my surgery side with a pillow between my knees if I wanted. I am not sure when I will get brave enough to try this. I may end up waiting a couple of weeks. I am happy you are having successes and progressing in your recovery, even if at times it feels like it is moving along slowly you are doing well. Keep that chin up friend most of the challenges will be over soon . Hugs.
 
Hi Robin!
I just got caught up with your thread and see how well you're doing! I'm so happy for you! I had to laugh about all the Sheewee (sp) and toilet seat riser talk, but I will say I missed my seat riser while on vacation. The first time I went to sit on the potty (and not thinking about the fact that it was lower than the one at home), my rear end kept going downwards and downwards and downwards until I thought I was going to hit the floor! It was a really freaky and somewhat scary feeling. Thankfully there was a sink next to the toilet that I could grab onto! It took about three potty trips before my buttocks acclimated to the lower height. :heehee: I'm pretty certain that I would have broken the 90 degree rule, but fortunately I didn't have that restriction. If I were you, I would definately look into a portable riser if they make them. xoxoxo
 
I realize I updated just a few days ago, but I'm amazed at how rapidly things have changed in just the short time since then. (Oh course, I'm still completely ready for the inevitable set-back, the unavoidable bad day, the "all I can do is lay down and ice" moments.... :wink:) But an interesting thing has happened since I last posted: I mentioned all the moving from the walker to the cane in my last post, but now, suddenly, I'm able just to walk! It was shocking to me! I had my cane with me in the kitchen but had laid it aside as I was making my breakfast; I needed something a few feet away, and then there I was, not even realizing that I was walking across the kitchen with no support at all! I'm sticking with the cane most of the time, but walking here and there all by myself. It's an amazing feeling!

My input is beginning to be needed more and more at work, and since I can't easily get to my office (upstairs in a building with no elevator), my office staff has been coming to me! First a meeting with my assistant on Monday at the house, then some of the staff wanted a lunch meeting here on Thursday as well. I was promised that all I'd have to do is sit on ice and participate - they'd bring and serve lunch! It was the first time in a LONG time that I've been in group of 7 people all talking about different ideas, brainstorming, discussing serious issues, etc. So much noise and conversation coming at me from all directions - for the first half hour I felt overwhelmed and disoriented! But with a little food in my stomach (which was so kindly served to me), it didn't take long to get back into the swing of things, and though I was throughly exhausted (and very sore for sitting 3 hours straight) by the time it was over, I felt invigorated - it was so good, so brain-stimulating to be back to business! (My main soreness was right down the middle of my operated buttock - almost as if sitting that long was "splitting" the main glute.)

That then made me nervous as I contemplated my first meeting with the outpatient PT the following day (yesterday)! Would it be torture, in light of the way I'd pushed it the day before? It was a very interesting PT appointment, indeed - a very thorough assessment. Among other things she did to measure strength, I had to balance for as long as I could on only my operated leg. (No problem.) I had to sit in a chair, and then without using my arms, stand fully upright and then sit down, and repeat as many times as I could as she timed me. (That was fine.) I was timed to see how quickly I could walk 40 feet. So down the hall I went, no cane, no walker, just walking as quickly as I could. Honestly, I couldn't believe I was actually doing it! (They want to make sure you can get across a street safely and in enough time.) She assessed my gait (barely a limp, which she said was would continue to decrease and eventually disappear with time and walking), she checked my LLD, did some hand traction on my shorter, un-operated leg... (oooh, felt so good), showed me several additional stretches and a couple of exercises to do at home, but said that I was well beyond the 4 week post-op progress mark, and that I could be discharged.

My health care plan offers a joint replacement work-out at their gym - a 6-week, 2x a week program aimed at helping strengthen the muscles that have been "off duty" - in my case, for a good 8 months. Thought I'd give that a try this coming week to see how I like it. But she said a good walking program with good, supportive walking shoes will be the very best therapy for me once the healing has taken place. (No swimming yet as my incision has several places that haven't completely healed. AND, don't know if anyone else was told this, but she strongly advocated massaging the incision throughout the day - something about pushing/breaking up the accumulating scar tissue and as well working on the swelling that's still present.) All in all, I was very happy with her suggestions, didn't feel they were unreasonable in any way, and it was reassuring to have someone assess my progress in detail - something my OS definitely wouldn't have time for - I was with her for over an hour.

Thoroughly exhausted after a walk to and from the car to the PT clinic, on top of all of the things she had me do during the appt, I fell into bed at 9 and slept for 10 straight hours! But I'm getting more and more a taste of "normal" life - and I am so incredibly happy. Every bit of difficulty that the first few weeks of recovery held for me (it's just NOT an easy journey!!!!) is now beginning to fade into the background as the realization that I will soon be living life as I once knew it is now coming into focus - it is so thrilling!!!! You pre-op'ers, it IS worth every bit of blood, sweat and tears!!!! Don't let fear keep you from getting back your life!!! :)
(By the way, just thought I mention that though I didn't have my husband shave my legs, I DID make him do my toe nails! He did a better job painting my nails than I do! Sadly, he declined the regular position of official nail-polisher! Hehe!)

@Tweetybrd - Yes, it really was a liberating thing to take those TEDS off once and for all! (They are SO constrictive!!! I guess that means they're doing their job! ;-) And who would've ever know that something as simple as shaving your legs would actually feel like a luxury when you've been denied the "pleasure" for over a month!:heehee: A friend of mine had ordered me one of those hip kits on Amazon as a pre-surgery "present," so I ended up taking the long-handled sponge and applying my favorite Bath and Body oil liberally to the sponge, and then was able to give my legs a good, deep moisturizing after shaving my legs. Feeling more and more like normal!!!
I'm also a vitamin/supplement advocate, so I was sad when I had to stop ALL of them 2 weeks pre-op, and then, because I was on Warfarin for a month, I couldn't take ANYthing. I mean ANY THING!!! You even have to monitor your diet with that medication - nothing rich in vit K, which hinders the blood thinning effect of the Warfarin. But, as we've seen so many times here on the forum, protocols vary so much from OS to OS - you'll get the full rundown as your surgery gets closer! (Have to say, it feels SO great to be back on my daily vit/supp routine!) xoxox

@BizzyLizzy - Thank you so much, Liz! Yes, as I mentioned up in the first part of this post, progress really started showing up this week! Frankly, I'm convinced it's well in part to the wonderful advice here on BS - don't push, lots of rest, take your meds to keep ahead of the pain, ice and elevate! The therapist I saw yesterday said that I'll be wanting to hang onto all those aspects of recovery well into the months ahead after I've had a particularly hard or challenging day. I can't wait to hear what your OS had to say! And yes, isn't it quite an experience walking into the office where you can so vividly remember the times you were there with pain so severe you couldn't think???? To be in the same place and now find yourself free of that misery is an amazing thing! I'll be looking for your update once you have the chance!!!!!

@Nana2-8 - Getting TEDS on by oneself? I daresay that would be virtually impossible for me, and for anyone with posterior dislocation precautions!!!! Yes, getting rid of those and regaining independence is HUGE!!!!! Adding to your "Gratitude List" (I fully agree that the high-cut legs on the undies have been fabulous!), I just think I'd have to second all the ones you've listed, as well! (Though it sounds as if you had your own meds nurse! Most of aren't that fortunate!) Shaved legs, ice packs a plenty, nail polish (and for me, a husband who makes an excellent pedicurist!) - there is so much to be thankful for! I have a wonderful border collie mix named Jack who has been my constant and sweetest companion day and night - such a gift to me through these long weeks of recovery! (I think he's beginning to enjoy Downton Abbey! He lays next to me, his head on my shoulder - we watch together! :loll:)

@Miss Muffet - Jane, I haven't yet used the sock gadget! Here in Southern California (where the wildfires are blazing away through the drought-stricken, dry brush and forests), socks aren't necessary until almost November - and by April or May, we're just about done with wearing them! (We've enjoyed many a Christmas day outside on the patio!) It makes shoe-wearing easy at this point, as it's simply about slipping sandals on for now. But I'll be holding on to that sock gadget in the chance that I might need it once our all-too-brief cooler weather comes around! And as far as a worthy end to our TEDS? I simply LOVE the recycling ideas you've come up with!! (Although, someone told me that they're quite expensive to purchase, so the thought did cross my mind that I might take my freshly laundered TEDS and stick them in the back of my sock drawer in the case that someone else might have use for them! Oh, hopefully it won't be ME!!!! :flabber:)

@Wrknitout - Thanks so much for wanting to know how yesterday's appt went! (All the details are at the beginning of this post!) It was a breeze!!! I'm finding that when I'm feeling really tight and sore, sometimes walking is actually very therapeutic in stretching things open and loosening everything up! Maybe your husband will be as good a leg-shaver as mine was at painting my nails! Hehe!!!! But if not, you've got a possible back-up plan now! How lovely that you didn't have to deal with the TEDS! (Again, it's so fascinating to me how protocols differ from dr to dr!) You were spared some really extreme leg-squeezing, that's for sure!!!!!) I've been so paranoid about following all the dislocation precautions, that I haven't even given a thought to sleeping in any other position than my back, as I was first directed. (I had posterior approach - I can't remember what you had!) But yesterday the PT told me that yes, I'd be find to sleep on my side with the pillow between my legs. I was SO excited!! (Still a little apprehensive, so not sure if I'll try it before I see my OS again in a little over a week. But, boy, does it sound divine!!!!) Praying your recovery (and everything else going on) is moving forward with improvement!!! xoxox

@Cynthia777 - Hi CC!!! Sure have missed you, sweet girl!!!! I hope your time at the coast was absolutely wonderful and completely refreshing!!! Oh, there is simply nothing like breathing in the ocean air!!!! (But just to let you know, it's simply not the same around here without you!!!) (By the way, is the Bluecut Fire impacting you in any way?? Hopefully you're still quite a distance from all of the smoke and falling ash. We have a number of friends in Wrightwood and Phelan who've had to evacuate - aren't the pictures devastating to watch? :sad:)
Did you happen to take a look at the Shewee? I loved the idea so much, I ordered one! Really, how handy would something like that be when on the road and you're unexpectedly forced to use less-than-ideal bathroom facilities?! We're headed down to the coast for a week's vacation in September, and I'll definitely be taking the portable riser seat with me!!! (Your description of the down, down, down experience made me both laugh and cringe as I thought about what I'd be feeling if it were me! :unsure:!!! I'm so glad you don't have the 90 degree precaution to worry about, and that you eventually "acclimated" to the "lower altitude!!!" :heehee:) Love you, friend! Welcome home!! xoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And I have missed you too!!! Boy, it's tough coming home to the desert after lounging in the sandy shores of Del Mar! What beach are you heading to in September? You sound like you're coming along in your recovery and I think by next month you will see a vast difference from where you are now. Can't wait to hear all about the Shewee! :heehee:

The Bluecut fire has been just awful and yes, the pictures are just devistating. Thankfully we live about 45 miles away, so we've been okay. We did smell the fire, but it only lasted a day. So very sad for all those folks who lost their homes. :-(

Love ya girlfriend! :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Robin, I agree with you about the walking helping to loosen things up a bit. I am so glad to hear that your PT went well and that you are progressing so nicely. It must be encouraging to have such a positive assessment. I do think you should try sleeping on your side with the pillow since you were given the okay. If you feel anything concerning when you try it you can give it up until you meet with your doctor. I definitely understand if you don't though because, taking some of these steps forward can be a little unnerving. I still won't take a shower unless my hubby is home. I don't feel comfortable yet showering when I am the only one in the house. I have not yet attempted the leg shaving either with or without my DH. That is because, I just have not had the energy for that yet. It is interesting how different the doctors can be with their orders. We had the same approach for surgery but, not exactly the same approach to our recovery. I did get out of the Ted's but, I had the pleasure ha ha ha of wearing them for a couple of weeks last year after a different surgery. I am remembering to be thankful for the little things too and that is definitely one of them. Hugs .
Brenda
 
@Wrknitout - Hi Brenda! I was so sad to hear that there was some sort of mix up with the lab work, and that you're still waiting to hear about how to proceed! Frustrating!!! I'll be praying for a quick answer AND solution!! C.Diff is scary, and if there's even a possibility that you have it, you must be feeling exhausted from that alone!! Well, I was riding high and quite excited that I was able to do so much at Friday's PT assessment, but that's exactly what it was - an evaluation of how my THR is healing. Yes, I could do everything I was asked, but boy, those muscles let me know that they aren't ready for that type of marathon just yet!!! The weekend was painful!! I did go to the hip joint gym class on Monday just to see what it was going to be like and if I'd want to continue. It ended up being a delight - nothing severe or extreme... just machines geared for hip patients that gently stretch and work the muscles that, in my case, have been "off the job" since early this year. It felt wonderful to have everything stretched!

I just started showering without anyone home this past weekend - another step towards independence! It won't be long till you're feeling steady enough to do manage it AND shave your own legs! :heehee: And you'll be happy to know, Brenda, as scared as I was, I DID try side sleeping!!! Why didn't I love it??? I can't figure it out! I had a good pillow (not too small, not too large) between my legs, and couldn't wait to settle into my favorite position to sleep! Guess what? I did NOT like the feeling!!!! Even though there was absolutely no pressure on my operated side, it just didn't feel good! I don't think I can explain it, other than to say that it felt as if the incision and operated muscles, etc. were being tugged downward. It hurt. Weird, huh?! I guess it's a good thing I'm getting used to arranging about 6 or 7 pillows like a little cocoon, and settling in for a good night's sleep on my back!

And no TEDS for you this time around in surgery! Oh, lucky you!!! (I'm sure you haven't forgotten just how tightly those babies do their job of compressing!!! :eyebrows: Can you believe I haven't had them on for a week now, but there are still gouges right below my knees from those things - and I have average sized calves!) (Maybe they gave me the children's size? :loll:)
Yes, I think every single one of us on the recovery side would have a different story to share when it comes to all these post-op protocols! But the one and only thing that matters is that we are now rid of those miserable hip joints that caused us so much pain... and the ability to fully partake in the lives we used to lead is up on the horizon! Hurray!!!!
Sending love and prayers!!!!!!
 
@DizzyBlond We are definitely on a similar recovery agenda! I began walking without any support today --very strange sensation and is taking a lot of concentration to stay in a straight line. It's like learning how to walk again....:walking:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom