TKR Long Recovery

​

What is radio frequency ablation (RFA)
Per the Cleveland Clinic:
Radio frequency ablation (RFA), also called radio frequency neurotomy, uses radio waves to create a current that heats a small area of nerve tissue. The heat destroys that area of the nerve, stopping it from sending pain signals to your brain. RFA can provide lasting relief for people with chronic pain, especially in the lower back, neck and arthritic joints.

Interesting, LeftKnee123! I was unfamiliar with RFA also. If you undergo the procedure, I hope you achieve the desired result. Please keep us posted, many may follow with interest. Wishing you a great week! :SUNsmile:
@LeftKnee123
 
@LeftKnee123
If interested, you can type key words, or simply RFA into the SEARCH at top right of the page and threads where it's been mentioned will pop up.
 
At almost 8 months post TKR and continuing pain stiffness and trouble walking any distance, my OS referred me to a “pain clinic” . The doctor there who is an Anesthesiologist has suggested taking the drug Lyrica and having a Sympathetic Nerve Block. I am scared to death of both of these options. After I expected the TKR to help me, at this point it has made me worse. So afraid to submit to more treatment, afraid things will get worse still.
 
There is a good chance that more time will give you more healing, and a better outcome than you have now. After a rough first year I made a lot of progress in my second year. :console2:


By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks Jockette, I can find my postings so if I want to make another post I just reply to a reply like this ??
 
Yes, reply just like this. :flwrysmile:
 
Saw a Neurologist today who thinks I have Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. After 8 plus months, still have pain swelling and surgical leg is more “red” than non surgical leg. I had heard about CRPS and wondered if it might be my problem. Activity is so uncomfortable that I am becoming very sedintary after being a quite active person. Getting a second opinion on the surgery by another OS and then if that checks out, the recommendation is Sympathetic Nerve Block. If I had had a crystal ball…
 
I'm sorry ... but getting answers is definitely the next step
 
I am so sorry to hear you are in such pain. I hope you are able to find relief soon.
 
Aww, I'm so sorry. :console2:I am sure being sedentary is really difficult for you as an active person.
I hope you're able to find some relief soon. Please stay in touch, we'll be here for support
if you feel the need. Wishing you comfort.
@LeftKnee123
 
I had a robotic on Sep 1st. This one was cementless, while my first used cement. I read that the initial healing for cementless might be a little tougher.
I have had a great recovery although one of my mount holes developed an infection- all good now.
Don't worry, you will get there. Please don't let PT push too hard. I didnt do any PT and just went about daily activities. your knee is healing. Listen to it and when you need, take a break. i worked it yesterday and taking today off. I notice a decent improvement each week, not over a day or so. You will get there and be happy you did the TKR.
 
At nine months post TKR, I saw a new surgeon for a second opinion. He thinks my continual knee pain and difficulty with walking may be due to my hip! On the same side! The surgeon that replaced my knee told me when I last saw him he had no idea why I still have pain?? Now I am scheduled for an MRI of my hip. This is like a bad dream. If my hip was so problematic wouldn’t the first surgeon have recognized this before the TKR??And, I am now reading that the best sequence is to do hip replacement first before a knee replacement. Could my hip have been that ok just nine months ago? So confused.
 
If the MRI does show a problem with your hip, and the surgeon recommends surgery, I wonder if it is possible to perform a test to see if the hip problem is causing the knee problem? For example, would a cortisone shot in the hip (if they do such things) remove the knee problem when it relieved pain and swelling in the hip? Just speculation on my part but if it were me, I would ask the surgeon this question, to see if I could be more certain of the need for hip surgery.
 
I agree with @WFD that it might be good to cover all your bases before diving into surgery. I had a similar test done when I had simultaneous hip and knee problems. I was given a lidocaine shot in my hip to see if it would also improve my knee pain. (In my case, it did not so I did end up having both hip and knee surgeries). For you, it might also be revealing, and possibly help to inform your case and treatment. Certainly worth asking about.
 
This is exactly what the surgeon has planned: A numbing shot(assuming lidocaine) as a diagnostic. If the shot in the hip corrects my knee pain, then we will know the source of the pain. You folks are so smart!
 
@LeftKnee123 Was wondering how your 12 month surgical checkin went?

Have you managed to increase your walking distance tolerance with the shot to your hip?
 
Hi 2chains, I never did try the Sympathetic Nerve block shots. It was confusing because my OS suggested a Radio Frequent Ablation but the Pain Management doc suggested the nerve block instead. At the 12 month follow up the OS didn’t agree with proceeding with the nerve block shots and said he would get in touch with the pain doctor. The OS has now ordered an MRI that I am having in a few days. This is to look for soft tissue, maybe tendon problems. This is also confusing because when I asked the OS 5 months ago about an MRI he told me that due to the metal in the knee implant, the MRI would be useless. He also said that after TKR some people just have pain that can’t be resolved, but there is still hope that at one year out there is STILL more healing to take place.
 
I was wondering also since I have not had a Sympathetic Nerve Block if I could change my heading to “Long Recovery”. Thanks
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom