TKR Long Recovery

Another question for Bonesmart friends: Anyone have experience with being ordered a nuclear bone scan? This would be ordered after TKR due to ongoing pain since surgery. I have read that they are not too useful unless it has been at least a few years after surgery since inflammation can show up on the scan for years after surgery even in unsymptomatic joints.???
 
I’m sorry to hear that, @LeftKnee123. In that case, it probably is true that going to one of those doctors would not be as good as a specialist totally independent from this group and the hospital where you were for your TKR.

Would you be willing to travel to another city to see someone?
 
Here are some possible surgeons for knee revisions that should not be connected with your previous surgeon or his partners. Sorry, I should have asked who your surgeon was. It makes a difference, as it’s so very important to get an independent review of your situation without previous surgeon’s notes that can sway the diagnosis.

Illinois Bone & Joint Institute
Dr. Jeffrey Goldstein
847-375-3000
Hip and knee revisions

Dr. Frank Bohnenkamp
815-398-9491
Hip and knee revisions

Dr. John Bottros
815-398-9491
Hip and knee revisions


Fox Valley Orthopedics
630-584-1400
Dr. Kenneth Chakour
Hip and knee revisions
 
I had a nuclear bone scan in February 2024 at 24 months post surgery. I am unable to do any extended walking without medial and joint line pain since surgery in February 2022.... not to mention limping as bad or worse since before surgery!

The scan imaging showed an indication of either loosening or infection in the joint. When I was looking at the screen during the test I could see a significant area "lit up"with bright spots in the medial area of the knee. It was significantly different looking than the rest of the jointline.

I've had significant medial pain since day one.
 
Anyone have experience with being ordered a nuclear bone scan? This would be ordered after TKR due to ongoing pain since surgery. I have read that they are not too useful unless it has been at least a few years after surgery since inflammation can show up on the scan for years after surgery even in unsymptomatic joints.???
There are special ways that an MRI can adjust to avoid being confused by the metal implant.
It is called MARS ( Metal Artefact Reduction Sequences) MRI. There is quite a lot of research in this area now and it should be possible to distinguish problems.
 
@2chains, What if anything was recommended to you based on your bone scan results? How are you doing now?
 
@EalingGran, I am actually referring to a “nuclear bone scan”. I did undergo an MRI in the spring that showed only some swelling under the kneecap. Although the doctor indicated that this was of no concern, the nurse practitioner said that she thought they used too large of a knee cap in my prosthesis. Surgeon said he had no idea why I was still experiencing pain. Sadly, I have lost a lot of trust in our medical system.
Thank you for all you do for us on this site. We need it!
 
the nurse practitioner said that she thought they used too large of a knee cap in my prosthesis.
I’m not sure that a nurse practitioner has enough orthopedic knowledge of TKR surgery to make this statement. It might be true but I’d put more faith in that answer if it came from an experienced TKR surgeon.

Surgeon said he had no idea why I was still experiencing pain.
This is why seeing a revision surgeon is important, sometimes a different set of knowledgeable eyes will see a problem that the original surgeon can’t.
 
Not sure if I should be posting here or starting a new thread, here’s why:Since my 2/23 TKR, I have had on going pain and inability to walk comfortably. Have been for second and third opinions with just being told that things look good and some people just dont do well after TKR.
Now, for the last couple of months the hip on the opposite side of my LTKR has become severely painful so that I can only be on my feet for about 10 minutes before frantically looking for somewhere to sit down and wait for the pain to subside. This pain has taken a front seat to the knee pain. Now being told THR is my next “adventure “. So, do I start a new thread in the Hipsters forum?
 
Hello LeftKnee,
If you were diagnosed in need of a hip replacement, yes, please join us on the Hip Pre-Op Forum and we can leave you some pre-op reading material. I am sorry you're struggling with such pain currently. Hopefully you're able to schedule surgery soon. If you want us to move this post for you, we certainly will, or you can start a thread yourself. Here is a link to the Hip Pre-Op Forum.

 
Wondering what others experience has been in being prescribed pain medication prior to joint replacement. Tylenol is not doing it and I am allergic to anti inflammatory medications. I inquired about something stronger for the pain and was told that they won’t prescribe anything else because “ it will make the post surgery pain worse”. Thank you!!
 
Tylenol is not doing it

I thought this too until I learned that I wasn't taking it properly.

You can take 2 extra strength tables (500 mg each) every six hours (4 times a day) -- as long as none of your other medications contain acetaminophen. It's important not to exceed 4000 mgs/day.

Take it on a regular schedule without interruption. If you wait until the pain returns, you "fall behind." It takes a few days to get the level in your bloodstream high enough to make a difference.
 
Scheduled for right hip replacement on Feb 12 2025. Had LTKR Feb 15 2023. Having flashbacks. Well I already have my cane and my Lounge Doctor pillow from that surgery and now I have BoneSmart going into this.My knee never felt better, actually worse than before surgery. Now the hip has me limping and feeling worse than the unsatisfactory knee replacement. My new life I guess. Scheduled for PT pre-surgery. Hope I am doing the right thing.
 
Hi @LeftKnee123 - I've started a new thread for you in the Hip Pre-Op Forum so we can share some hip-specific advice with you and you'll receive support from other hippies. You can find it here:
 
Hi all, I cancelled my February hip surgery, trying some PT now. The PT thinks I may have CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) set off by my TKR almost 2 years ago. A neurologist mentioned this possibility to me quite a while ago but referred me to another Orthopedic who started focusing on my left hip. You need a diagram to keep up! Since my TKR, I have just been going round and round with my poor TKR outcome. If it is CRPS, I don’t think another joint being replaced would be a good risk. I will just keep hunting for some relief.
 
I hope you find answers and relief soon, Leftknee123. Please keep us posted and know that we're here for you always.

Following is an article from our Library on Complex Regional Pain Syndrome for those interested in reading -
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom