TKR Long Recovery

I am 7 1/2 weeks out and still struggling but seeing small improvements
That's normal! You are still very early days in this year-long recovery!

Something that helped me gain perspective on my recovery, was documenting my "achievements." Once a week or so, I would list of all the things -- even the little ones -- that I was able to do, along with a list of the things I was looking forward to being able to do in the future. As items moved from one list to the other, I saw real progress and it helped me stay positive. And, when I later looked back over my updates, I could see how much I had improved over time.

Why not give it a try? Now that you will be starting hydrotherapy, it might also help you home in on how much you can do without ending up on the ODIC (Over Did It Club) bench!
 
Please do let us know how it goes and what they have you do. It sounds more gentle than water aerobics. I'd like to try it.

I started to see some improvements about 7-8 weeks. Not a whole lot, but some. I'm 12 weeks now and can do more each week. Benne68 is right. Make note of EVERYTHING that's an improvement. It really helps....body, mind and soul.
 
Looking for others who have had the robotic TKR. My recovery is now at about 4 and 1/2 weeks. Making progress but still a way to go I hope as my walking is slow and stairs very hard.
I had a non robotic TKR Feb 2nd. At 4.5 weeks I felt like I would never do normal things again and it’s was quite an emotional time. Gradually I ‘forgot’ to use the crutch so was able to walk without. Six weeks I seemed to ‘turn the corner’. I will say that I stopped the hard PT and just opted for stretching, icing, resting and sleeping. I’m 10 weeks post op now and if I’ve been out in the morning walking around I have a little nap for an hour in the afternoon as I get so tired still.

I’m retired but couldn’t imagine going back to work yet and admire those who have to.

I’m sleeping normally at night but this has only happened in the 9th week. I’m a side sleeper so found it difficult as couldn’t get comfortable in my side.

I use the rail walking up stairs but can walk down without using it. Although I never did before so why would I want to now

But all in all very pleased with my progress.

Still have the ‘tight band’ feeling and a bit dire and numb in one side but understand this could last for months yet.

Starting to think about booking a holiday so must be on the mend.

Just hang on in there. Let it heal, rest it. Ice it.

I read somewhere on here that it’s ‘mind over matter’ but the best phrase was ‘if you don’t mind then it doesn’t matter’. I’m using this phrase to myself now.
 
Thank you benne68, I called today and changed my PT appts from 3xa week to 2x. I will also talk to the PT next time because it doesn’t seem right to spend an hour in PT and then be more sore and spent for the rest of the day does it??
That’s exactly how I felt after PT. Exhausted and sore for two or three days. So I thought ‘sod this’.I havnt been now for weeks and my next (and last one I would think) is on 24th April. The first PT I saw was the most miserable person you could meet. I really disliked him.

When I saw the UK Consultant surgeon he asked me is there anything you can’t do (within reason) to which I said no.

So from then on I’ve done my own minimal stretching and sit with my knees up in front of me as that’s a good stretch. Push my foot back under a chair and can reach nearly the same as the other one now.

So I came to the conclusion that you don’t need aggressive PT. As long as you stretch, rest, ice (I didn’t elevate high) let it heal then it finds its own way.
 
Hydrotherapy is PT in water, haven’t actually started just yet. I will let you know how it goes
Be careful in water- it is deceptive.
I went for a spa day with my daughter yesterday and I did what I thought were some very gentle exercises in the pool. It felt really good at the time. But I realised I had overdone things as my knee was a bit more sore afterwards. The steam room and massage were really great for my back though.
 
Encouraging words Can Can girl as you are about 2 weeks ahead of me.Hope Hope Hope. Went clothes shopping today for the first time in forever. I was just going to run? in and buy some water shoes for my first hydrotherapy session tomorrow but became so enchanted by all the possible clothes I could try on and possibly buy that I am totally icing and elevating now. Did buy one top Thrill!! Thanks for the warning about the deceptiveness of the water EalingGran. I know I will be so excited to get in there tomorrow and could easily get carried away.
 
Back from hydrotherapy. It takes place in a 90-92 degree pool so almost like bath water. The therapist is a very enthusiastic person and was wanting me to move faster than I am ready for. Never fear BoneSmart homies, I did my own pace and was mindful not to try to please her. She said the average flexion when one is fully recovered from TKR is 120 degrees. I was about 135 before surgery so I hope I will be above average but who knows??? It is interesting because at the first PT place I went to after surgery told me I measured 130 already. The PT today told me I am 110. What the heck?
 
It is interesting because at the first PT place I went to after surgery told me I measured 130 already. The PT today told me I am 110. What the heck?
The tool they used to measure is not an exact measurement, and each person can hold it a bit differently, which is one of the reasons we can’t get worried about the number. Also, the number will vary, depending on swelling/activity.
Never fear BoneSmart homies, I did my own pace and was mindful not to try to please her.
You go, girl! My pool experience was bad. I was only 4 weeks post op, to the day, and they had me in the pool for almost an hour, doing countless bending exercises and way too much waking: frontwards, sidewards and backwards. It took 3 days to get back to where I had been before I went. I hadn’t found Bonesmart yet, but led me to a search and I did find it. I took control of my recovery after that!
 
Wow Jockette, I am 8 weeks now and I felt the effects today, can’t imagine at only 4 weeks. I don’t think these therapists really have a clue what it is like to have this surgery. I know I certainly had no idea until I experienced it myself. They are so pushy! I told the therapist today that I had been cautioned not to overdo it in the water. She laughed that off and said I would be just fine. How could she possibly know? They see so many people and it seems they just have a list of exercises they just tell everyone to do. I am also very thankful to BoneSmart for giving me a perspective that helps me listen to my own body!
 
She said the average flexion when one is fully recovered from TKR is 120 degrees. I was about 135 before surgery so I hope I will be above average but who knows??? It is interesting because at the first PT place I went to after surgery told me I measured 130 already
My surgeon said that if you had good ROM pre-op it should be fine post- op.
I am now at 140+ flexion and my good knee is only marginally better. It does vary a bit with position and how tired I am. For example I can't lift it as far in the standing quad stretch as the other side and it can be stiffer in the evening.
Mine is still improving at between 5-6 months. I noticed recently I can bring it further across my good leg to put socks on. I had a PKR but I am sure I have read of many people on BoneSmart with TKR who have 130 + flexion.
 
I told the therapist today that I had been cautioned not to overdo it in the water. She laughed that off and said I would be just fine. How could she possibly know? They see so many people and it seems they just have a list of exercises they just tell everyone to do. I am also very thankful to BoneSmart for giving me a perspective that helps me listen to my own body!
How many in the pool have a knee replacement? I bet you are the only one. Even if there are others, to give everyone the same exercises is just wrong! Everyone is different and has different needs. It reminds me of working on an assembly line.

How was your night and how are you today? Water can be very deceiving and 'get ya' later.
 
Encouraging words EalinGran and sistersinhim. Thank you. What would I have done before this site? Probably be trying out different antidepressants. Actually I think I am getting “rebound headaches “ from taking 3000 mg of Tylenol almost every day since Feb. 15. Have not taken any today so far, night will probably be a different story. I know that because of BoneSmart I listened to myself yesterday in that pool. Otherwise I would be flat on my back today. Instead I was able to take some small walks around the Morton Arboretum here outside Chicago and it was a glorious morning. Happiest I have felt in a while.I also noticed I could actually bend far enough to take off my socks. Todays miracle.
 
Sounds like you had a beautiful morning, LeftKnee123, and I appreciate your grateful heart,
your words made me smile :)
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@LeftKnee123
 
Encouraging words Can Can girl as you are about 2 weeks ahead of me.Hope Hope Hope. Went clothes shopping today for the first time in forever. I was just going to run? in and buy some water shoes for my first hydrotherapy session tomorrow but became so enchanted by all the possible clothes I could try on and possibly buy that I am totally icing and elevating now. Did buy one top Thrill!! Thanks for the warning about the deceptiveness of the water EalingGran. I know I will be so excited to get in there tomorrow and could easily get carried away.
So there you are - you wanted to stay longer shopping. Can you imagine the first couple of weeks post op even thinking of going shopping . All I wanted to do was get back in bed and then I couldn’t sleep.
So shows how much you have improved !!

First two weeks post op I thought I would never feel normal ever again.
But here I am envious because my friend has just gone in holiday to Spain. Although she said she walked about five miles today AND she is also going to have to have a new knee soon. I dont think I could walk five miles at the moment.
 
@LeftKnee123
"I think I am getting “rebound headaches"

I continue to get headaches from what I understand is "medication overuse headache", but mine is from T3 or Percocets, requiring a normal Tylenol to alleviate. It sure makes you want to reduce meds.

We have enough problems, who needs this as well?
 
Oops! Roller coaster ride took a big dip today. I was enjoying myself and didn’t realize I entered the OVerDid ItClub! Ice Ice and more Ice today as I took the 2 steps back after thinking I was doing better. Trying to stay away from even the Tylenol. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Can can girl, I don’t know how your friend could walk 5 miles while needing her knee replaced. I could not do anything close to that for about a year before my surgery and of course not since!
 
I don’t know how your friend could walk 5 miles while needing her knee replaced. I could not do anything close to that for about a year before my surgery
I agree with you. Why would she need a TKR if she can walk like that? It sounds like it might be a bit exaggerated. I sure couldn't begin to walk that far before mine.

Roller coaster ride took a big dip today. I was enjoying myself and didn’t realize I entered the OVerDid ItClub! Ice Ice and more Ice today as I took the 2 steps back after thinking I was doing better.
Yep, when we start to feel better and have a good day, we tend to start to get overactive too soon and BAMB!, we're back on the down slope of that rollercoaster.
 
Aww, I am sorry! What a way to spend your two month anniversary.
Well...I am going to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary while I am here and hope tomorrow is a brighter day for you. Feel better soon! :SUNsmile:
@LeftKnee123
 
Thank you Layla! It is better today after a lot of icing yesterday. Took a good walk and I will probably feel decent until my next PT. Should that be telling me something?!?
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom