TKR Long Recovery

I will probably feel decent until my next PT. Should that be telling me something?!?
Yep, that is definitely telling you something! You have to recover from your PT before you can get back to your surgical healing. Somehow that doesn't seem helpful to me.

Just checking in and saying hello. I am now 9 1/2 weeks out from TKR. My biggest struggle is the continuing tight feeling in the knee. Just can’t get it to bend like it did Before the surgery. So stiff upon waking up in the morning makes it just hard to get going. Waking up in discomfort kind of puts a downer on at the beginning of the day that you have to push through. Think they might cut me loose pretty soon from PT, maybe then I will start feeling better? Such irony

Think they might cut me loose pretty soon from PT, maybe then I will start feeling better? Such irony
You can cut yourself loose from PT any time you want to. You are in charge of your recovery.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
My biggest struggle is the continuing tight feeling in the knee. Just can’t get it to bend like it did Before the surgery.
It is very normal to still have this tightness at 9.5 weeks, and even longer.
Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Your continued PT could be causing excessive tightness. Maybe give PT a break and see if it loosens up. I felt much better overall at 9 1/2 weeks, but the tightness only gradually decreased. FWIW...I had stopped PT a few weeks before then.

Waking up in discomfort kind of puts a downer on at the beginning of the day that you have to push through. T
Consider elevating your leg as you sleep if you feel you can tolerate doing so. You can also try icing for a bit once you wake, before you really get into your day. It may help you get off to a better start. You likely won't miss out on anything by stepping away from PT now if you're in your last few sessions. It's a good possibility the PT is stalling your recovery as your healing tissue is continually aggravated. Stop now and feel better sooner. :wink:

I know it feels like a long time, but in the big scheme of things it's still pretty early days for the residual stiffness to be gone. The good news is that it should continue to improve. I used to do a few heel slides in bed to loosen up in the morning before I got up.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. Possibly PT has ended by now?
You will continue to notice an increase in ROM with the passing of time.
Hang in there and have a great week! :)
@LeftKnee123

Thank you Layla! I am still very stiff and sore. I did finish with PT and now do my own “PT”. I may go back to talk to my surgeon about my ongoing discomfort although I don’t know what he could suggest? I have to trust the knee will improve with time. Hate to think I could be having a poor outcome. I do appreciate the BoneSmart help.

At only 3 months out from your surgery, you are only 1/4 of the way healed. That means pain, swelling, stiffness and overall discomfort are completely normal. I suggest you ice and elevate almost all the time you are sitting or laying down. This will help with that stiffness, which is caused by swelling. Getting that swelling down will be a big help.

You're welcome LK123!
I think time will help since you're only three months into a recovery that takes many twelve months and some even longer, noting progress into their second and even third years! Please try not to think you'll have a poor outcome. Many are still dealing with tightness (swelling) at this point in the healing process.
You already know what to do for that -> :ice:
My OS mentioned that swelling can last for a full year, so your situation with the tightness and limited ROM is considered normal and will improve over time. Wishing you peace of mind, patience and perfect healing. :) Thanks so much for the update!
@LeftKnee123

@sistersinhim I am icing and elevating as I read your post. Thank you for the reminder that this is normal and for the encouragement! I needed that!

I tried getting on my bicycle today with hope. I started on a slight downhill slope but could see it was just too uncomfortable to peddle. The knee just doesn’t want to bend that far. I got off( without falling at least) and walked it back. I did not think I would get enough momentum to go along even a very slightly uphill or even flat surface.Too hard to peddle. I am 13 1/2 weeks out but it is no go for biking outside. The stationary bike is somewhat uncomfortable still just thought I might experience a miracle Ha!

It was about 4 months before I could ride my outside bike. The first time on it I rode only about 1 mile. It felt so good. You will get there.

Hello BoneSmart!
Drove over an hour one way to see my surgeon today for about 10 minutes tops and that seemed too long for him. I am 15 weeks out today. He prescribed a 6 day Metro steroid pack. I have a feeling it will make me feel better for a few days and then back to stiffness. Might feel artificially too good and want to do too much?What have been others experience with these steroid packs? Guess he just wanted to throw me a bone. He did say recovery will Just Take Time and see you at the one year out mark. Gee where have I heard that? He also prescribed No More PT. Looks like now he’s offering the BoneSmart protocol

Hello BoneSmart kindred spirits. Checking in at almost 7 months post TKA. Still working on recovery and I have learned from all of you that this is not unusual. Saw my surgeon at the 6 month mark and he suggested I might want to try a RFA to numb nerves and reduce pain. Not sure I want to try this. Any experiences with this procedure post TKA? Hoping time will still be the great healer. Although it is a challenge I have been riding my bike outside a little. I can go about 4 miles with stopping every mile or so. Then icing of course! Happy fall everyone.

I didn't have a RFA after a TKR, but I did after a patellectomy. For me, it was a disaster. My thigh skin actually burned so bad I could not even let a sheet touch it. Of course, this was in the 90s, so the procedure has probably improved quite a bit since then. This lasted about 2 months with no improvement for the knee. I think time is what I needed and probably what you need, too.

What's a RFA?

Hi EalingGran! RFA stands for RadioFrrquency Ablation. I am going in for a consultation with an Anesthesiologist in October so I will learn more then. Apparently you are injected with needles under a local anesthetic and go home the same day. I think the RadioFrrquency destroys nerves and so eliminates pain. Don’t think it works for everyone and looks like you are uncomfortable for awhile after. This is mostly what I have gleaned just reading about it online. I ama little afraid of this but will hear what they have to say.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom