TKR Long Recovery

Hi there! Yes healing can still take place 12 months and significantly further on post surgery based on my experience. Improvements in extension and flexion have both been apparent for me along with decreased pain. I'm still seeing improvements with stairs(two storey house)....going up especially quickly with no handrail with maybe something in each hand and going down ...well that is better too but needing hand rail if i'm carrying anything .

I have also enquired to my DR regarding MRI imaging and was told it would not provide any insights. Not sure if that is true as here in Alberta they seem to be trying to 'throttle down" requests for imaging due to extensive wait times? I would be very interested to hear what comes of your MRI.

I continue to have issues with walking/standing at two years and limited to 20mins/30mins before pain starts. Just had a second opinion last week and had the results cc'd to my DR. Don't see the surgeon officially til March 19 but bone scan with contrast shows there is potentially an infection and/or joint loosening.
 
Don't see the surgeon officially til March 19 but bone scan with contrast shows there is potentially an infection and/or joint loosening

So sorry to hear of the potential problems. I hope the second opinion is helpful.
 
That is a fascinating article @sistersinhim It was really interesting to see the range of information that an MRI could provide post TKR.
 
So strange to be told at 7 months post surgery that an MRI after TKR is not possible and then suddenly at 12 months it is possible. Perhaps the ortho docs don’t want to order one before 12 months post op? It is very disconcerting to get such confusing feedback. Just came back from the MRI and except for having a rude condescending young man for a tech, it was unremarkable, no “hot sensations” around the implant. These kinds of experiences with health care make you loose a little faith and a bit frightened for the future of our healthcare. Thankful for the support of Bonesmart. I will pass on the MRI results when I get them.
 
My MRI results showed normal soft tissues. The only abnormal finding was some fluid behind the kneecap. Not sure what that might indicate? They send you the results before the doctors office communicates with you so you just talk to “Dr Google” in the meantime. Still waiting for an assessment from the surgeons PA. and waiting… and waiting…
 
@sistersinhim, finally discussed this today with the PA who agrees with you. They are back to recommending a RFA.The positive results of this procedure are around 50% and some people even have more pain as a result.I know we discussed this a few months ago and I am still leery of this procedure. At 13, going on 14 months out, I am just hoping for some more improvement in walking but also beginning to resign myself to this may be as good as it gets.
 
I made a positive discovery today that I wanted to share. I tried doing a little hiking today with a set of hiking poles ( also called trekking poles or walking sticks). It helped my walking a lot! They seem to make for a good cardio workout while taking a lot of pressure off the knees and hips. It just felt great to be able to hike around with less discomfort. And it was a beautiful spring day!
 
Just getting outside in beautiful weather can be a good up lifter. Add to that, being about to walk well is a huge bonus!
 
Wondering who the revision specialists in the Chicago area are? Is it true that you need to leave your area for another surgeon to take you on as a patient? Have been told by a primary care doctor that they just won’t “step on each others toes”.
 
Hi!
I have reported to our admin that you would like suggestions for a revision specialist.

We always recommend that for second opinions one looks for a surgeon who has no connection to the original surgeon, not even affiliated with the same medical center. In a rural area or small town, this can pose a problem, but in major cities less so.
 
Your doctor is way off base by saying no other surgeon will help you. While a majority of surgeons don’t see a patient they didn’t do surgery on for 1 year after the procedure, it is quite common to get a variety of opinions when problems arise and the need for a revision is possible. You’re far enough out from surgery that you should have no problem finding some revision specialists to offer opinions on your knee. Here are a few you might want to try,

Chicago area

Midwest Orthpedics at Rush
Chicago, IL

https://www.rushortho.com/scott_sporer.cfm
Dr. Scott Sporer
Hip and knee revisions
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees. Member bilfrid highly recommends following a successful second revision surgery in 2022.

Dr. Brett Levine
Complex hip and knee revisions

Dr. Craig Della Valle
Hip and knee revisions

Dr. Richard Berger
Adult reconstruction hip and knee (revisions)

Dr. Wayne G. Paprosky
Midwest Orthopedics of Rush University Medical Center
Northwestern University Joint Replacement Institute
Winfield, IL
Speaker at 2018 ICJR workshop on problem hips and knees.
Works with patients who have significant bone loss.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom