• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
VB....you had a golden opportunity to wipe out a few displays while on the scooter in WalMart. For shame!

Lmao
I had a small three wheeler of my own I used to take to the mall. Older version than this with no arms and no basket. It was much faster than the ones supplied by the stores. I was just an accident waiting to happen. Fortunately, I had so much practice running into things at home that I watched myself carefully out in public. But I could have been the proverbial bull in the china shop without too much difficulty.
Lmao

Hello all its been almost two weeks. My swelling is almost gone and i didnt have any bruising after surgery. Im walking with cane, my pt exercises do not hurt. The pain i have is when i walk it is sharp and feels like muscle pain. It doesn't hurt to stand unless i put all my weight on operated leg. I guess im worried for nothing its very early in my healing. Has anyone else had pain like this when walking? This seems to be my only issue my appetite has come back, im not getting tired, swelling way down and im very happy. Merry Christmas everyone i hope yall have the best holiday ever.

Good Morning Vilebyrd- I have a question for you. Did you attend the pre op class that is offered? I am thinking about trying to attend but just wanted to get your take if you went. So glad to hear how great you are progressing. Keep up the great work. I am so envious.

I did not go. Ive been reading and researching so much that i knew what they were gonna say. But you may want to go it couldnt hurt. You will be where im at soon stay positive.

Vilebyrd,
Sounds like you're doing great. Hope my recovery goes as good! I'm scheduled for January 14.....OMG it's coming here fast!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

Hey vilebyrd we were same day same hip. When you sleep on you side, is your operated hip up or down. I'm still on my back with a pillow between my legs so i don't cross, and don't have any problems sleeping. I was never a back sleeper anyhow but would be nice to at least try sleeping on my side.....

Vilebyrd, sounds like you're doing great at 2 weeks. The discomfort you feel when putting weight on the operated leg is very normal at this stage. I noticed through week 4 that it does diminish a little every day. I found it was more prevalent when I transferred my weight from the operated leg back to the unoperated leg (i.e. removing the pressure). But now it's barelly noticeable at 5.5 weeks! Slow and steady my friend and it will get better! I'm now cane free around the house and take it with me 'just in case' I hit a wave if tiredness while I'm away from home.

At about 3 weeks I could start sleeping on the operated side a little. Biggest caution I would have for sleeping on your stomach would be all restriction related 1) getting into position on your belly, and 2) being aware of your leg position while on your belly. It's unlikely you sleep straight as a board on your stomach. I have a tendency to list to one side or the other a little while in that position. Be careful of any internal rotation and also getting out of the position....

Christmas shopping is exhausting even when you haven't had surgery, did you at least wreak some havoc with the scoooters?:)

glas your recovery is going well

Hey Vilebyrd I slept on my stomach last night. Best night sleep I have had. Once I got on my stomach I was fine. I rolled on my unoperated on side. I had my husband help me the first time I rolled over just to make sure I didn't pull anything.

Good luck.

I think it's Tammy who has a special method for getting on to her stomach in bed..... Damn!

Im still not at the two week mark, two more days. Im doing good i think the only thing i cant do for myself is put sock on my op leg. Yesterday i walked all around a very large mall with only my cane. So awesome not to have joint pain afterwards only muscle pain. I just have some muscle pain when i walk walk. I can not sleep on operated side when i sleep on my side the op leg is up. My blood pressure is better now than before the surgery. Ive got a question, why do some of us with the posterior approach have six inch incisions and some have large fifteen to twenty inch incisions?

A couple of answers.. VB

I wouldn't be attempting to sleep on your tummy until you get clearance from you OS.

When you sleep on your un-operated side, do you have a pillow between your legs? This is to stop the operated leg crossing the midline.

For sure you will feel muscle pain when standing or walking, those muscles are still weak. At 2 weeks post, I was doing absolutely nothing.. except bathroom visits, bed to chair, chair to bed, elevating and sleeping..

Why do some patients have longer incisions? Well when the surgeon first looks at your pre surgery x-rays, they have a pretty good idea of the damage or issues they have to repair, so they do all sorts of Pre surgery planning themselves on how big an incision it will be..

My OS knew that my surgery was going to be very complex, so I have a 10 inch incision with 39 staples.. I was happy that he had such a good view, because he had a lot of repairing to do.. Result.. Perfect!

Yes i use a pillow between legs when sleeping on my side. Poppet thank you for all your wonderful advice. The OS instructions in information packet said i could sleep on abdomen as instructed but thats the problem i havent been instructed how to. My incision is about six inches and they used a stryker metal on poly uncemented with the posterior approach. Is that good? My OS said the stryker is the best.

Hey Vilebyrd glad you are doing so well. I am still using the walker. My leg is just not strong enough for the cane yet. So yes I am jealous :) I can't believe you walked around a whole mall. That is great. Keep doing whatever it is that your doing, but make sure not to over do it. When I sleep on my belly I turn on my unoperated side. I don't stay there very long. Laying that way seems to stretch my thigh muscle after a bit. Seems each time I try I can stay a little longer.

How much pain meds are you taking? I cut mine back to one pill instead of two. Wondering if I went back to two if I could do more. Good luck my friend and merry Christmas.

Yes laying like that does seem to stretch those muscles. Im on pretty powerful stuff from my general doctor. Ive been on 30 mg oxycodone immediate release for a few years and other stuff for about ten years. When i see my gen. Doc in january we are gonna make a plan to start weening off this stuff. Thats gonna be harder to do than the surgery. But i cant wait to be off all medicine. If hax just took what OS gave me it would be 10MG hydrocodone 325 acetaminophen. Wich that doesnt do anything for not even if i took six of them. Which i wouldnt. You shouldnt be cutting back yet in my opinion take those meds as prescribed. Ive been working a demanding job right up till aonth ago so im in pretty good shape, i never get sick and i heal very fast that has a big part to play in my recovery please dont over do it. Do what feels right to you. I listen to my body it lets me know if im doing to much and if i can keep going. Merry Christmas we got a very very good present this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads