BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Linette333 is in recovery<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by linette333, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

United States United States
    Wow, wish my OS believed no antibiotics were necessary after surgery, @linette333 and @Fiona444. Mine says I have to take them before all dental procedures, even cleanings, for my lifetime. I've certainly read enough online that suggests this isn't necessary so I'm going to do it for about a year following this latest surgery and then reassess the situation, maybe call the OS's office and re-check the advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There seems to be such a contradiction of advice with hip replacement in all sorts of areas. From driving, to painkillers, time off work, antibiotics, walking aids, precautions and even compression socks. It does make it a bit of a minefield. I think we have to trust our surgeons but also use our own common sense and research. I would certainly be very against taking antibiotics for life if it wasnt absolutely necessary

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. linette333

linette333 senior

I thought I would post an update on the antibiotics and dentist issue. Obviously I am only speaking about the UK now, but even here I think the situation varies. Anyway I spoke to my dentist, my GP and surgeon's office - the answer is a resounding NO, NOT REQUIRED! Each one also gave me a detailed account of why this is the case. So I will go along to my appointment with the dental hygienist without worrying!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Calgal

Calgal senior

Thanks @linette333 , I've got a dentist cleaning appointment in a couple of weeks so am thankful you've done the research. I suspected UK would poo poo antibiotics as it seems we are adamant they are overused, but good to have some substantiation. :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. linette333

linette333 senior

Week 8: Unfortunately this will probably not be a very positive report. :groan:
    My new hip continues to do well and I am extending my walking. I am using a cane all the time now and walking a little unaided indoors. The limp is still there though and a lot of stiffness behind the knee ( this does improve after walking further). I am pretty much back to doing my normal activities, including driving.
    BUT this discomfort/pain in my left buttock and leg continues to drag me down. I am perseveringwith the recommended exercises for piriformis syndrome - sometimes I think I see an improvement, but not much. I am mystified as to why this has happened - mainly because it's in my "good" leg. (Well, it used to be the good leg!)
    I am alternating ice and heat, which definitely helps. Maybe it's time to see a physio.
    I am trying to remain positive, but this is certainly a challenge! :umm:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think if you have the right type of therapist, they could definitely check for gait issues or what might be causing this.
    Do let us know, my triple 3 friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Grrrr, @linette333, I am sure it's frustrating to have this continual pain and not be able to deal with it effectively so far. I do have a friend, perfectly healthy otherwise (as in, no hip problems) and she did something that aggravated her piriformis and it aggravated her for a long time until she was able to find the right combination of effective exercises performed daily which finally licked the problem. I think mojo333 is right, you need to find a really good therapist who can work with you to really pinpoint the problem and help with targeted exercises. I am sure you're sick of this problem and want it gone, well, yesterday. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @linette333
    I'm sorry you continue to struggle with this as I'm sure it feels as though it's holding up your recovery. Have you put a call into your surgeon's office to see what they think? If not, I think I'd begin there and see if your surgeon recommends Physio. If you're doing the exercises or stretches and not finding relief, possibly it's time to dig deeper. Let us know what you decide. Until then sending a hug and wishes for your comfort. :console2:

• Like Like x 2
  9. linette333

linette333 senior

Well, I have finally made the leap and contacted a physio! It's a private practice, so certainly not cheap, but I've had enough now - I have to do something , as it's holding me back so much! :nah:
    When we dicussed my symptoms, she sounded very knowledgeable. She comes highly recommended by a friend, so I am hopeful of some positive results. My main concern is hurting my operated right hip of course, as my problem now is with the left side.
    The appointment is for next week, so let's see .... :beg:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. Layla

Hello :wave:
    I'm happy to hear you scheduled an appointment in an effort to obtain relief. You'll have to stay in touch and let us know how it's working out for you. I wish you all the best on this special day....your anniversary.
    Happy Two Month Anniversary! I hope by your third you're feeling much stronger.
    Enjoy the remainder of the week! :)
    @linette333

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

@linette333 just to confirm re antibiotics. Had a long chat with my dentist who said definitely no antibiotics. No evidence at all of it affecting the new hip. They don't even give them now for patients with heart problems which used to be commonplace.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. bickypeg

bickypeg graduate

By the way @linette333 just scrolling down, have you had your other hip X rayed? Has arthritis on that side been ruled out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. linette333

linette333 senior

Yes, at my 6 week post op appointment, my surgeon looked at the x rays and said it's "fine". What I am suffering from now feels nothing like the arthritis pain I had in the right hip. Thanks for thinking of me @bickypeg !

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Let us know what they feel is causing the pain..what is recommended and how you feel it is working for you, Triple 3

:fingersx: for all to begin to ease soon:praying:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Marvin L

Marvin L member

I did mine on June 5, so we are about the same timeframe. My unoperated hip started giving me trouble and my ankle on that leg too, My PT said it’s adjusting to my new gait, I have been doing pt for 2 weeks so far, 1 day pool, 1 day land. I’m real tight so have been doing a lot of stretches. I also go to the gym, I go in the room that has mirrors and practice walking with no limp and amazingly I do it now no limp, no cane. As far as my other hip bothering me, it comes and goes, and I’m going to ignore it and just continue with the therapy and work on strengthening and stretching. Remember how far you have come in the last 2 months.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. linette333

linette333 senior

Hi @Marvin L ! Someone else who is having issues with the unoperated leg! It sounds as though you are making good progress now. Interesting to hear about your PT. I am going back to the gym next week and plan to pool walk as well as seeing the physio later in the week. You are so right when you talk about how far we have come in 2 months! I do keep reminding myself of this whenever I manage to do something I couldn't do before surgery. But it's just so easy to forget when all these unforseen issues crop up!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Sorry to read your other hip/leg is giving you some trouble, @linette333 . I am sure this must be frustrating. But good for you for reminding yourself how far you've come in a couple of months, and maybe the return to PT and some pool walking will help to ease your discomfort. For me, once I had mostly finished healing from hip #1, it became obvious that hip #2 was going to need some attention but, unlike you, both of my hips were arthritic although admittedly the right was worse than the left. But now both of 'em are done and I'm hopeful that once I finish healing and am able to become more active, all these residual aches and pains, plus the tiresome stiffness, will go away. They won't go soon enough for my taste, of course, but onwards! Have a great day.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Layla

Happy Friday @linette333
    Nothing worse than having your Recovery dogged with another issue. Especially this early on.
    Hopefully someone can help you figure it out, take the necessary steps to work through it and you'll be on your way. Best wishes for answers and speedy relief!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @linette333 I'm glad to read that you've located a good physio to help! Will be most interested in what they come up with. The auxiliary aches and pains are most annoying and I'm hoping yours will be something that can be dealt with quickly!
    Keep your spirits up.. that's what my goal has been. Mindfulness, a good movie, bonesmart ( yes, had to mention that) :heehee:

All kidding aside, though.. I'm sorry you are frustrated and worried, and wish for you the best outcome with your appointment next week! Please keep us posted.. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 6:40 AM
  20. linette333

linette333 senior

Week 9 (Or I suppose this is 2 months !):
    The left leg problem continues, but there have also been a few positives to note this week. :) :-) (:
    I have been walking more and more without any aids and the limp is definitely going! I even went out for lunch with a friend and left my cane in the car.
    My stamina and enthusiasm for doing things is definitely increasing - even housework! :umm:
    My greatest achievement this week by far is that I am at long last free of the Tramadol!:happydance: It has been a long, hard slog, but with the help of my GP, I have worked through a tapering program. Even so, I have just had two dreadful nights, but it's done at last. I still have no idea why it has affected me so adversely, but I certainly won't be taking it if I have any surgeries in the future. It did help me sleep (well, a drugged kind of sleep), but not worth the side effects and withdrawal symptoms.
    I went out to see a plant display in a local park a couple of days ago - my heart sank when I saw the steep slopes and flights of steps. Well, the hip coped perfectly and on arriving home, I realised that the left leg pain/discomfort had disappeared! I actually had a pain free evening! It was back again the next day, but it gives me hope that it's not permanent. :yes:
    On getting up in the morning, I still feel as though I have done 10 rounds in the boxing ring - so incredibly stiff! Ok once I have walked around a little. Is this normal and how long does it go on? :what:
    Looking forward to seeing what the new week brings!

• Like Like x 4