THR Lily's recovery

:wave:
The old me would have been in constant pain but new me is very happy with my hip. The fact that I'm not in pain fills me with wonder and joy
I felt (and still, 7 years later) this way too.

Life with new hips is Sweet.:egypdance:
 
It really is and when I do something and it doesn't hurt I stop for a second and think that doesn't hurt anymore.

It's almost miraculous and eventually I'll get used to it.
 
I try to keep the gratitude alive... makes sweating the small stuff seem insignificant , and my sympathy level for those who live with chronic pain is so much more.
Folks who find out I had both hips replaced often say..."Oh, I'm sorry"

I high step it and respond...
Not me, I'm grateful there was A Cure!:chuckmarch:
 
Oh yeh..can you imagine if there wasn't.

We'd be talking about fine tuning our wheelchairs and polishing the walkers.

What a misery for past generations who couldn't benefit from modern prosthesis.

In the future you'll probably "grow your own". That would be something
 
@Goma I noticed that my posture has improved as well. It just happened! After hip #2 it will be even better! Enjoy your spring weather!
 
Fantastic. It makes a difference standing straight and it's another benefit of surgery.

I couldn't straighten because my groin hurt so much I had to hunch over while walking.

Thanks, I'm enjoying the sun and the garden is blooming as well.
 
@Goma I ditto and agree 100% with Mojo333! And my "Whoopee pain free hips" are 12 years old! I rarely even think about them any more .... until I log in here. Hip, hip, hooray for modern medicine and surgical skills! I had one hip that was so bad it had fused to my pelvis so I could not stand straight and that hip would not move in any direction.

It's wonderful to hear you are moving easily and getting out and about! :yes!:
:flwrysmile:
 
Fantastic. It makes a difference standing straight and it's another benefit of surgery.
This was one of the main benefits for me - being able to stand up straight and able to straighten and stretch my legs out after the hip replacements.
 
Yesterday I iced and rested because I overdid the amount of walking and movement this week.

My incision ached, I had a bit of swelling, I was very fatigued and generally feeling blah!

My hip is good though, no pain in or around the joint.

I was very happy with my progress but evidently my hip wasn't. A setback but I'll slowly start again.
 
We've all spent time on the ODIC (overdone it club) bench, @Goma! It's not really a setback --just your body's way of reminding you that your hip is in charge!

Icing and resting is the best remedy.

:ice:
 
Right you are.... I'll consider it a reminder not a setback. I'm glad the joint is solid, there's no pain anywhere.

Saturday morning here... I'll be alone today as the family are occupied so nice quiet day for me.

Icing and rest, maybe a short walk up the street just to get out of the house.

Happy weekend to all.
 
Today is 8 weeks for me. I had my last appointment with my pt this morning.

He is lovely and has the approach of all in your own time and don't do anything that causes pain.

I lay on my back and he moved both legs in a sequence of manoeuvers and I told him how that felt.

He time trialled me for 30 seconds standing up straight from a seating position preferably hands free, walking backwards and forwards from wall to wall and touching a step alternately with each foot 4 times per foot. He said there was no standard that I had to reach and wanted to know if there was pain and how the hip felt when I twisted to change direction. It was all good actually.

I had groin pain at certain times when he pulled my leg up and to the side and he said all to be expected and it would fade in time. He explained that tendons running from your back to the front of the groin and down the leg would strengthen gradually for up to 12 months with no excercise.

I asked him what not to do and he said not to lift the knee close to the chest and cross the midline for about another 4 weeks or so. Basically the action when you're crossing your legs and not to pick up heavy weights. About 5 to 10 kilos but no more for now. Excess weight on a healing tender joint not advisable.

There are no other restrictions. Side sleeping, stomach sleeping and when comfy laying on the operated side. Bending down to the ground preferably with legs hip width apart. Try not to bring the knees together when standing for now. No jumping or running but that's not something I'm planning on doing anyway When sitting for 20 or 30 minutes there may be stiffness when standing but it should resolve when moving around.

So the occasional groin pain, stiffness,stingy scar and minor aches are all normal and over time should improve on their own. Fatigue is still present, he said that's expected.

He gave me 3 different strength bands to do some strengthening moves 3 times per week and to keep walking. They're very easy. I'm going to do them as he said strengthening glutes is beneficial for the hip.

He was happy with my progress as am I.

So he put my mind at ease with regards to the niggly aches and pains and everything is going well so far which is reassuring.

Long post but that's my day.
 
This all sounds wonderful... as does your PT.:loveshwr:
All sounds very familiar, also....
you will likely find that there will still be an ebb and flow and it takes a while to get your energy and stamina back... But man, oh, man.. It gets good.
What a great way to go into the holidays and 2024 will be Sweet
 
You've summed it up perfectly.

I hope I end up where you are ...your happiness and satisfaction is uplifting to me when I read about positive outcomes like yours.

2024 sounds sweet.
 
I am certainly a grateful double hippy.
I've always been very active and high energy
But, At age 53, I felt 100.... with two bad hips. I also feel like I have a high tolerance for pain and I soldiered through work and life but at one point - I was hurting all the time, limping, sleep deprived and Miserable.
I turned 60 this year and my legs feel 25!
This mindful slow return during recovery is the way I got back to life, and so will you.

I saw your question for the Nutrition webinar...
According to a study done in 2016 by National Institute of Health:

Postoperative fatigue is commonly reported following a range of major surgical procedures, usually as a self-limiting problem. Recent research suggests that this fatigue is related to both physiological and psychological factors, and often includes loss of appetite.

Anyway, the study says it is prevalant (but doesn't really offer an explanation to why...just the body's response to the surgical assault:shrug:) and that in most cases it resolves by 6 weeks post op.

We do need protein, our building blocks, which usually come from meat...so even though your diet doesn't sound unhealthy... you may want to make sure you include protein rich food you can tolerate along with iron rich food so you can get that blood built back up.

You said that you lost your taste for coffee...:mcoffee:
I definitely say that would be a major cause for concern in my case:heehee:
 
When I had my knee done I also lost my appetite. I feel like I have morning sickness. For protein I'm having the occasional egg. Some days I have some beans or legumes. Eating meat makes me gag.

It'll resolve in time. I'm drinking coffee in the mornings now so that's a start.

I agree that fatigue has a knock on effect mentally and physically.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a great visit with your PT! Thanks for sharing everything as it benefits us who do not see a PT after surgery! Hope your week is off to a great start! :wave:
 
I also had issues with nausea post-op, @Goma, and was worried about not getting enough protein for recovery. I ended up using high protein nutritional supplement drinks (like Ensure or Boost) because they were much easier to digest and didn't make me queasy. Not sure what is available in Australia, but you might want to see what you can find.
 
Back
Top Bottom