Guest viewing is limited

THR Lily's recovery

I nursed my hip yesterday,iced,elevated and used crutches whenever walking. I sat on ice nearly all day. Had a very long sleep last night which I needed.

The whole buttock/hip is much better so I'm guessing I overstretched some weak muscles or tendons. It didn't take much.

I've also spent time reading about recovery and hydration is crucial to help toxins from meds and surgery leave your body and help healing so upping the water intake.

Will continue resting and icing today. I'm mindful of my surroundings and still went over but all the hardware is still solid.

Thanks for the replies.
 
So happy to read that you are feeling better today, @Goma. Falls are sooooo scary right after surgery.

Have a lovely weekend.
 
It's good to know that the after effects of saving yourself from falling were relatively short lived. I found the same after my little episode with the stiff window, it makes you realise how easy it is to lose your balance during these early weeks.

At the moment there are a lot of fallen wet leaves here due to the wet and windy autumnal weather, which is making me very apprehensive about venturing outside, so I'm still sticking with 2 crutches going out and about just to be extra careful.
 
Yes,be careful and take care. Being cautious early on will benefit us in the long run.

The day will come where we use our bodies without thinking but not yet.

I've had a quiet day and feeling better and thank you for your replies.... so good to fall back on others who know.
 
You are surely spot on.
I had some close calls the first few months because sometimes my brain and legs seemed to have a delay in connection and moments of sudden weakness could come up unexpectedly:unsure:
I remember at 3-4 months out, I still hung to the bannister when going up stairs...
We get better and get stronger...but nothing wrong with staying mindful during this critical healing period.

I'm glad the incident didn't cause any major issues...
Hope your Saturday is Sweet!:) :-) (:
 
Glad it was no worse than bruising and sounds as if you are on top of getting recovered from that blip.

I am still scared of the step down from our house to the ground as last time round I slipped coming down off it and wrenched my muscle!

I can do it without a aid now but use my stick when it’s raining.
 
I have a couple of steps outside that get slippery when wet and nothing to hold on to either side.
Prior to surgery I bought some thick black rubber mats and lay them down. Not me but hubby.

He screwed them in and I'm confident going up and down without going over. The crutch is rubber underneath and grips the mat so it's stable. My sketchers ,a shoe brand I wear, grip well on the mats.

Even a non slip rubber bath mat would work temporarily.

Anything to help us move around confidently at present.
 
I've had a good week. Yesterday I was home alone and thought I'd push myself a bit. So I did a bit more house cleaning and prepared some freezer meals. Watered the garden, washed and hung clothes and other things I've been wanting to do.

I was on my feet most of the day walking around the house with no crutches. I took intermittent breaks and there was no pain, just tiredness which is the norm anyway.

Today I went to the supermarket using my crutch just in case. I walked about 1.5 km all up. Put the small amount of shopping away and did some meal prep for myself and the family. The hip was great but I was fatigued and fell asleep for about an hour this afternoon.

Tomorrow I'm going around the block.

No meds and I take panadol if necessary but that's not the case. The old me would have been in constant pain but new me is very happy with my hip. The fact that I'm not in pain fills me with wonder and joy.

My incision still hurts but not the hardware. There's no stiffness or aches and I'm feeling positive with my progress. Just taking it nice and slow but stepping up the activity.
 
Wow, you've done really well, so pleased to hear that your recovery is moving along nicely.
 
Wow, you've done really well, so pleased to hear that your recovery is moving along nicely.

Opps - somehow or other this message has duplicated and I can't delete it :unsure:
 
Thanks, I'm sort of testing myself. I've gone at my own pace but at this stage I'm wanting to do more. Doesn't mean tomorrow I won't have aches and pains but so far I'm ok.
 
Today I walked around the block with my crutch twice. Once in the morning and again in the afternoon.
Takes about 15 minutes and I'm taking my time.

All good with my hip and concentrating on my gait.

It's becoming quite natural to walk upright standing straight instead of hunching over and limp free.

Rest and icing at home. I'll go around again tomorrow.
 
That is so great. It’s getting chilly here, So I used my treadmill. I only could do 15 minutes at a very, very low speed. I actually walk better on the treadmill than with my cane. Then I iced.

Keep up the great work.
 
I believe you, I'm looking down at the footpath to make sure I don't trip. The weather is nice, it's spring here so days are sunny and I'm getting cabin fever. I have to get out.

I have a treadmill and might try it down the track.
 
Back
Top Bottom