THR Lily's recovery

The thing is I knew I was doing too much.
Don't be too hard on yourself. We've all been there at some point (in my case, more. than one!) in our recoveries. You are wise to spend tomorrow being a "couch potato."
:flwrysmile:
 
It’s nice to be able to notice that you have overdid it without the overwhelming worry from the early days of recovery. I cannot remember when I got there but was so happy when it happened. I still find myself needing couch potato time on occasion too!
 
Monday morning and I was being admitted for surgery 12 weeks ago.

I saw my assistant surgeon on Tuesday and she's very happy with my progress. She's from Spain and came to Australia to work under my surgeon and said " I'm here for him".
I didn't have any imaging to refer to but I'm not concerned as my hip is strong and solid.My surgeon popped in and said "you're better than where you were but not as good as you're going to be". I'll see him again in 9 months and have an x ray then.

Having said that I have aches in my muscles and groin pain occasionally especially if I have a full day. The pain is never in my hip but more buttock and upper hip pain and in my groin.The assistant surgeon said it's normal at this stage....walk and work the glutes and abductor muscles as they're still weak. My gait is good. No limping. She got me to stand on one leg without holding onto anything to check for strength or any pain. She put her forearm below my knee and said push up with all your strength and she manipulated my leg and checked leg length.

These are some questions I asked.

1. Leg crossing...try and avoid but on this forum it seems to be acceptable.
2. Yoga..no extreme positions..planking is fine.
3. Sex...do whatever but I've been doing that anyway.
4. What to avoid...jumping,Bungy jumping, trampolining ...anything that jars the hip. I don't see me doing any of that.
5. Swimming..excellent.
6. Anything else..no..just take care and live life.
7. Weights..in my case lifting toddlers and carrying something weighty.. all ok.

I spent the both days on the weekend shopping for hours for Christmas. Had lunch and sat on hard bench..l feel the hip when I sit but I can feel the other one as well but it doesn't hurt. I bought new shoes and was bending over trying on different pairs so full bend at the hip and it's fine. All that shopping was tiring.

I can do anything as the hip is stable ..just need to build up the muscles. No one mentioned pt just walking and swimming and walking in a hydra pool was recommended. The excercise she recommended was lying on my back ,squeezing the glutes and raising the hips. I'm going to do that.

I never ice and should do that again. I stopped all meds which makes me wonder if that's why I can feel more. Overall for 3 months I'm ok and hope for more improvements down the track. :thumb: :santa-dance:
 
Last edited:
All sounds normal and that you are doing very well.
As you already know our bodies let us know if they are not happy and I've learned to listen. Once in awhile I still will get muscle pain in front of my thigh as well as a little discomfort in groin but never lasts.
I like doing those abductors and core strengthening.
I don't lift anything over 30 pounds, that's just my prescription for myself.
I have no problem carrying in two grocery bags and bringing upstairs.
We've been having some decent weather (today not included) so enjoying nice walks with no pain or discomfort. I love that, I love feeling totally "normal.'
All my best on your continued recovery.
 
That's a great progress report, @Goma I am really encouraged to hear that you were able to try some shoes on without difficulty. I'm also impressed that you are walking without limping- fantastic! Thanks for posting the questions you asked during your appointment- it's helpful to see what others are asking.

Sorry your bungee jumping dreams were dashed though...
 
No Bungy jumping...never was a goal:yikes:.yikes...although I wish I had paraglided but that's not happening either.

I think strengthening muscles is the goal now.
I think that eventhough the hip is shiny and brand new, everything else around it is the same... everything ages and has deteriorated over time and will probably never be as it was before.

Our bodies still reflect our age so you do the best you can and if there are limitations so be it. The hip doesn't fix everything.

Just not that pre op constant pain...:kittykiss:

I forgot to mention that I sleep on my operated side and prefer it. Have been doing that for 3 weeks or so.:yes!:
 
Thanks for sharing @Goma ! I like to see what others have been advised. If you can paraglide over water that might work! If you really want to! I have not worked up the nerve to try sleeping on my new hip side. I am doing longer stretches sleeping on the other side.
 
:wave:Nice update, Goma.
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a lovely holiday season and a great 2024!
@Goma
 
Thank you...really so very happy I'm here with everyone and sharing experiences and reading about journeys.

Wouldn't want to be anywhere else and definitely not alone during recovery.

Looking forward to feeling normal as I'm still a little overly cautious and afraid something will happen.
I don't know what but still very aware of "THE HIP".:shocked:

Layla, wishing you a very happy Christmas and New year.:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
Goma,
No better place to be but right here on Bonesmart with all us recovering hipsters!
No one else understands us like those that have had the surgery & faced recovery and all that goes with it.
 
Every morning before I get up I'm on the forum reading updates while having my coffee.

Every night before I sleep I'm here again.

My hubby would ask "what are you doing". I'd tell him I have hippy mates in another place where we gather. He doesn't bother asking anymore and sometimes asks how's things. He gets it because he had hip surgery a few years ago.
 
A place that belongs to us..in a community filled with compassion and support..some good advice. We lean on each other...helps our mental health and stops us spiralling into worrying. Ask anything...no ridicule.

They're my reasons. We've had major surgery and we're not facing it alone.:friends:
 
Last edited:
Christmas Eve her in Oz and just wanted to wish everyone a merry Christmas and happy New Year or if not then Happy holidays.

Blessings to all and my thanks for sharing the journey through recovery:santa-dance::plugging-in-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon::happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
Merry Christmas:banana-santa:
 
@Goma Merry Christmas and healthy New Year! :merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: :santa-dance::happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:
 
Belated :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4: 2024 is full of hope I hope:loveshwr:

Having said that I'm hoping that I can soon walk upstairs normally.

I can do everything I'd hoped to after surgery and I'm recovering well but stairs are not quite achievable yet. Putting weight on my hip while stepping up causes an ache.Not pain but I can feel it. I hope it improves.

Today I shopped for a few hours and I was ok but when I sat in the car my incision was stinging. The worst it's been. I didn't dare drive so I massaged it and waited till it felt better. It really took me by surprise and I don't know why that sting happened so suddenly. I'm perfectly fine now.

Occasionally my back flares up but calms down when I rest. I think I had piriformis pain and followed the recommended stretches here on bonesmart which helped and is now gone. It lasted about one week. So painful and glad that's gone.

Still not fully recovered but hopefully soon will be. :walking:
 
Hope you continue to be on the mend, hip friend. I enjoy checking in and seeing where you are, even if I don't comment as much as I should!

I hope the stairs get easier for you! I wish I had a doctor or PT to check in with myself, but I do a lot of things pretty well at this point. I personally need to work out more myself.

My incision stings more often now than I'd say it did two months ago, so maybe just a sign we're healing and not relying on those pain meds. I'm very uncomfortable massaging or looking at my incision though, I basically want to pretend it doesn't exist.

Heal up soon, and happy new year!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom