THR Lily's recovery

That energy drain is no joke for the first few months:console2:
I was very sleep deprived before surgery and seems like forever before I could get a good night's sleep, so I know you don't like being tired, but sleep is good.

I remember the restless nights (sleep wasn't easy or very consistant for me post-op) and then the catch-up exhausted sleep... also anemia / low iron can be a problem after surgery so I concentrated on eating more iron rich foods.

Another good tip I received here on the forum regarding this topic:
You can enhance your body's absorption of iron by drinking citrus juice or eating other foods rich in vitamin C at the same time that you eat high-iron foods. Vitamin C in citrus juices, like orange juice, helps your body to better absorb dietary iron.
Dried fruit like raisons or dried apricots or great sources of iron too and good nibbling fare!
Hope you feel more energized this weekend!
 
still early in recovery and being drained is normal. Our bodies are traumatized by the surgery and it takes a lot of energy to heal. Nutrition is very important as our bodies have to rebuild the muscles and the bone at the same time. As we feel a little better we tend to increase our activity level more than our bodies can handle which results in fatigue and a membership to the ODIC.
 
Rest when your body tells you to while that’s possible. When I have resisted, I was tired but wide awake at night. I figure it will resolve itself eventually.

Edited to add: Thanks @Mojo333 - I cannot eat red meat due to a food allergy so I probably need to supplement now. This was a timely reminder for me!
 
Last week was a full on week and I'm feeling it.

Today I've got an ache in my groin when I bend so I've stopped bending.

I zoomed with my lovely physio guy and he said it's normal around this time. He explained that a cup is put in and the tendons from your back that go over your hip through the groin then down the leg have to glide over this cup. He said the cup is usually a bit bigger than the natural bone and as the tendon stretches to get over the cup it can cause an ache. I don't even take medication as it's more an ache than sharp pain He said that it'll settle within a few weeks. I hope it does and that I explained that correctly.

He gave me an exercise to strengthen the tendon which I'm doing. Just a side leg lift and there's no pain.

I also was walking around the house freehand. The surgeon said to keep using one crutch for about three weeks and today the physio said the same. The physio said going back to one crutch would help stabilise my hip and help healing with the groin pain so I'm diligently using one crutch now.

He was generally quite happy with my progress so all good.

This week I'm slowing down and catching up on rest to help with healing.
 
Last edited:
The fatigue catches up with you very quickly. Catch up naps are always good.
 
Tomorrow my one month is up so very happy. I have an appointment with my surgeon in 2 months so I'm using that date as my end game date eventhough I know healing will continue.

I'm using one crutch for a few more weeks on my surgeons and physios advice for stability and to ease a bit of groin pain. The crutch has made a difference and the groin ache is going.

Pt is so minimal.just a few stretches and mainly walking. No one is checking the amount of physio and there's been no pressure from the start.

The sight of the scar is something I'll get used to. It's a bit startling but that's my vanity speaking. I'm so glad I've had the surgery. I'm massaging gently,icing and putting a silicone based ointment called Strataderm on. I know it'll fade and I'd happily trade my pre surgery agony for this scar.

Looking forward to driving at 6 weeks.

I've lost weight as I'm not hungry. Sleeping well still on my back which I don't mind. Occasionally have a short nap.

Bending over to pick up off the floor is nearly there and I think I'm rushing that.

Easing off meds as pain is minimal. I'm on slow release palexia along with an anti inflammatory twice a day. Aspirin once a day. I take panadol when needed or an instant release palexia if there's more pain. Usually I take neither. I'm really surprised at how little pain there is.

Can cook a simple meal,put the washing on, vacuum,tidy around the house, straighten the bed and sit on the computer mostly.
Hubby does the rest. The floor needs washing but can't have everything. I'm grateful for what he does.

I haven't left the house yet but that's ok. My family are here for company. That can be good or annoying depending on how I'm feeling. My little granddaughters are always welcome eventhough they wipe me out.

So happy with my progress but a bit more needs to happen before I'm set free. I don't mind as the hip is too precious right now to hurry along. It gets better and stronger every week.

A long post but that's where I am.

Thankyou to all who have taken the time to respond.
I'm glad there are others listening and it makes this recovery not so lonely or worrying. Knowing you can come back here whenever you want is the best.
 
Last edited:
:wave:Lily.
Great update.:egypdance:

I love seeing folks share mindful recoveries....booring as one month out can be.:bored:
I remember I got into a bit of a slump at one month out, and got so hyper-focused on the discomfort (groin pain being one.... still adjusting...) that it was almost a Surprise to me one day when I was checking out my progress... cruising through Kitchen without my walker or cane... and I remembered
Hey, No Bone-Crunching hip pain!
:tada:
Just still healing surgery trauma and letting my body adjust to my brandnew hips!
You are doing Great... and you wil get back to a healthy happy life.
Happy Tuesday!
 
@Goma Glad to see your update! I like the lengthy update- it’s like we were catching up over coffee or tea! I am seeing things through a new normal lens. I had company this weekend. My house was not at my old standards but it was at my new standard. I think about the saying “those who care don’t matter and those who matter don’t care”. Recovery comes first. Enjoy your day!
 
Thanks so much. This recovery is all over place...bends, twists forwards then backwards but never in a straight line. Keeps us all guessing.

Have a great day my little hip buddies. I'm in bed about to check out for the day.
 
Last edited:
This recovery is all over place...bends, twists forwards then backwards but never in a straight line.
:yes: Yep!

Like the squiggly one on the right
[Bonesmart.org] Lily's recovery
 
Happy one month anniversary! It gets better and then some days you feel like you are going backwards. It's this journey we call "recovery!"
Love that Layla posted the recovery squiggle, it really sums it all up.
I walked 4 miles yesterday. We are enjoying gorgeous fall weather here with peaks of color in the trees, just lovely. I didn't do entire 4 miles all at once, split it up over course of the day.
You will get there, takes time.
Happy day to you.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary,Goma!
May today be a great day! :SUNsmile:
@Goma
 
Today I looked after my grandaughters. Ailei has just turned 2 and Violet is 8 months.

I wasn't alone, thankfully hubby was helping as well.

Well my hip withstood everything l put it through today and apart from pain in my incision I feel ok. Very tired though, I napped after they left but no interior hip pain or swelling.

I was picking up both of them and walking around,bending over(Violet face planted a couple of times while crawling) and using stairs. No crutch either.Violet also likes standing up in your lap and jumping but even that didn't hurt.
We took the girls for a walk which is the longest I've walked and I managed although I found that tiring. I used my crutch and hung onto the stroller while hubby pushed it.

So a bit of a gruelling day but got through better than I expected.
 
How nice you were able to spend some time with your two grandaughters and it sounds like your hip was up to the challenge. It seems to be healing really well, but I hope you're going to take it a bit easier tomorrow :)
 
Wow, @Goma -- sounds like you have that new hip a real workout today. Glad to read that it held up!
Now, please give yourself permission to take tomorrow as a day to rest and recuperation! :flwrysmile:
 
It sounds like you had a wonderful day! I agree with everyone that tomorrow should be a day of rest for you! Take it easy the rest of the day as well!
 
Back
Top Bottom